Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Turning FBH on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 17 <123 ... 14 151617>
Realist

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yeh I purchased the kit from EBay and as per my posts above it doesn’t work unless I fork out another £100 to get it working.

Why wait, just go for it and enjoy life.

Previous….
Discovery 300TDI
Range Rover Vogue

Current:
2010 Discovery 4 GS Santorini Metallic Black 

Post #231978322nd Dec 2022 2:21 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

This may be a stupid question but is there no way to test the FBH to prove it will work when temperatures require it?
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #232271014th Jan 2023 9:52 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Easy. Just unplug the external temperature sensor mounted on the front bumper, the ext. temp value then defaults to -40deg. C. FBH will run - if capable - on engine start.

Post #232271414th Jan 2023 10:09 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yupp and…. In my experience, all (well most) people who are gonna “ test” their FBH, end up with issues, because of that testing…. (Too Short test runs, priming fuel, etc.)

In the winter period, it is rather easy to test it, when below 6 deg celcius…

Start your engine and wait till your fbh starts…(few minutes) . (You can feel warm/hot exhaust air behind the left front wheel…. ). If it does…. Let it run for at least 10 mins!
Shorter runs will soot up/destroy the glowplug rather quick…

TT-V and Evo are designed to withstand short runs better than the older TT-C/Z/D/E but most of the FBH glowplugs in oir discovery’s are old…some up to 19 years…

So pamper them…. Be patient, wait till it is cold enough outside for instance, intead of fiddling around.. MHO
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #232271914th Jan 2023 10:48 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

So (and this probably sounds a bit dense) what are the parameters for it turning off? Diesel engines are not the fastest for warming up but once the coolant temperature is up to heat doesn't the FBH shut down?
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #232272214th Jan 2023 10:55 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Entirely from memory, it drops to low power (2.5kW) at 70deg. C. and switches off at 75deg. C.
Most likely incorrect by a few degrees but the principle of operation is correct.

Post #232272414th Jan 2023 11:01 pm
Motolab

They are rather sophisticated, and do run in differential capacity modes.. like high, middle, low / idle
And when their support is not “needed” they barely don’t use fuel (edit: idle mode) from what i know from the setup in a D3 or D4, below 6 deg celcius, the engine always need a little support, but as said in low / idle mode, it barely uses fuel..

Edit: changed the words to the correct term
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Last edited by Motolab on 15th Jan 2023 10:11 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #232272614th Jan 2023 11:07 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

LR specific parameters are here

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ration.pdf

Post #232272814th Jan 2023 11:34 pm
Shamrock

Ireland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Interesting document, despite it seems to cover only CAN Bus controlling and not F-Bus (remote).
Thanks a lot.

Post #232282215th Jan 2023 5:01 pm
Gerald in Sweden

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

How is the FBH supposed to work on an old D3? Mine is 2006 and I use a remote for starting on cold mornings. Otherwise, as far as I can see, the FBH only comes on when I turn on the cabin heater. I will run some tests in various temperatures etc., but I think that if the temp outside is 6C or more, the FBH won't start even if I turn on the heating.

Post #232282715th Jan 2023 5:38 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

F-Bus? W-Bus is the Webasto control protocol - which was never implemented on the D3, there was a timer on very early D3's that was over CAN but it was disabled as part of the 'assurance programme' or whatever it was called, due to CAN activity keeping various systems awake and drawing too much current. There was a cold climate kit (for Russian & satellite states markets) that added the Webasto timer and connected to the unused W-Bus input to the FBH which is how many of the retrofit timers and remotes were added - some enterprising individuals extended the 'on now' switch of the timer so it could be triggered by a volt-free relay of a 433MHz remote or a GSM telemetry module.

Post #232285915th Jan 2023 8:20 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Gerald in Sweden wrote:
How is the FBH supposed to work on an old D3? Mine is 2006 and I use a remote for starting on cold mornings. Otherwise, as far as I can see, the FBH only comes on when I turn on the cabin heater. I will run some tests in various temperatures etc., but I think that if the temp outside is 6C or more, the FBH won't start even if I turn on the heating.

That is correct, if you want it to come on at temperatures >5deg. C. then you need to add a W-Bus controller and some form of trigger - either a self-contained timer like the Webasto 1533 or something that can emulate the control protocol with a remote switching device.

Post #232286015th Jan 2023 8:23 pm
Motolab

The term FBH is always used here…. But FBH is ONLY a general term, meaning heater , using fuel….

In a D3 TDV6 in colder climates, there is a FBH implemented… working by default as a AUXILLARY heater, meaning a “helping” heater if the engine can not keep the cabin (and engine) hot enough on engine heat alone… (lower than 6 deg mostly, LR mentioned 5 deg)

A TTV AUXILLARY heater can be converted to/as a PARKINGHEATER, by connecting a external controller with W-bus (as mentioned by Flatlander) (W-bus means Webasto Bus, webasto’s own CAN signal) when connecting a W-bus controller, the TTV uses different internal parameters inside so it does work also when it is warmer outside than those 5/6 deg…

It is important to make/understand that difference… when analysing “how and when it works” (or doesn’t)

The AUXILLARY function is always the dominant function.. so if used as a PARKINGHEATER with a clock or remote, it will shutdown when the engine is started and will come up again when needed as a AUXILLARY heater…

The other parameters are in de doc/pdf above..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #232286915th Jan 2023 9:10 pm
Motolab

The cold climate kit manual is in my gallery… i once translated the german version into english for everyone who is interested..

You can find it here

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...motopv.pdf

There is some more info in my gallery

Please note! In the translation is a “mistake” regarding the term “auxillary heater” this means in that context PARKINGHEATER (sorry Wink )
I will try to correct that soon..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #232287115th Jan 2023 9:14 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Motolab wrote:
The AUXILLARY function is always the dominant function.. so if used as a PARKINGHEATER with a clock or remote, it will shutdown when the engine is started and will come up again when needed as a AUXILLARY heater…

Some people say if the heater is in parking heater mode, and you start the engine below 5C the heater will not come up in auxillary mode and logs a fault code. I think I may have seen it once.

Any comments on this ?

Post #232294016th Jan 2023 12:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 17 <123 ... 14 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >