Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre advice needed please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wezzzor

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tyre advice needed please.

Been running Cooper Discoverer ATR's (235/70/R17) on my 2005 disco3 for the last year and a half, and there coming to an end soon. coverered about 35k kms so far on mostly twisty back roads and they will easily see another 5k. very happy with this tyre, its seen a good deal off off road abuse and scars to prove it, but never a punture despite a few nasty gashes and chunks in the side walls. Whistle

but i'm looking for something that looks a little more aggressive, i've narrowed it down to the Cooper ST (245/70/R17) or the GG AT2 (265/70or65/R17). the GG have got great reviews from members here and its what everybody seems to choose. a friend runs the AT2 on his P38 and has been un lucky with them, tore the side wall on 2 of them which were only days old at an event last year, and recently got a punture on a trail, where he was following me. so are the GG not quite as tough as the Coopers?

i've a perfectly good spare Discoverer ATR (235/70/R17) tucked away underneath. i want to go for a larger tyre if possible, to get a larger footprint and slightly greater clearance, so......

>been a 2005 i should be able to run 265/70/R17 with minimum to no rubbing, right?
>if i choose the AT2 would it be better to get it in 265/65/R17?
>if a get a punture and have to replace a 265/70or65/R17 with my current cooper spare 235/70/R17, will this cause problems with the tc system over the different rolling circumference?

any help or advice would be great!! Thumbs Up

Post #5302305th Oct 2009 10:46 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Whilst there is plenty written in the forum about tyres and sizes that they have fitted (or not) wezzzor, I thought you might like to see the difference via a diagram of the Cooper tyres you mentioned. (235/70R17 Cooper ATR cf 265/65R17 Cooper ATR.) Also of interest is that the 235 is the only 17 inch reinforced ATR that Cooper lists and I suspect that you were looking for a tough tyre for your driving conditions.

(Image courtesy of an excellent site http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html)

Although plenty of other users accept and have fitted larger tyre sizes be aware that the practice will place larger loads on all drive components.

But I think that the 17 inch shod D3s all look undertyred when compared to the other tyres (even those fitted as standard). BTW, I run 235/70R17 Cooper ATRs (edit: oops, wrong size mentioned) and have found them to be an excellent replacement for the standard Wranglers.

HTH
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #5302856th Oct 2009 5:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >