Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

tyre pressures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
andym

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
tyre pressures

I got my second disco from the dealer recently. It drove really well and I was getting 34 mpg on the motor way. I found that the tyre pressures were set at 58 front and rear. Max tyre pressure for the tyres ( on tyre wall is 60) what are people running around with out there. What is the best pressure for minimum tyre wear. Sounds obvious I know !!? I have scorpion tyres.

Post #15775415th May 2007 9:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

running standard LR numbers according to the door sticker and getting 32MPG on 85-90 MPH M1 cruises with a bit of hooning on the B roads for 20 miles to my village home Wink

No not really officer I was only doing 70 and said the above to impress and inflate my mileage claims to Andy and the forum in general.

Post #15776915th May 2007 9:54 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

58? PSI? Are you sure the gauge you used was accurate? Accident waiting to happen (or have I missed a TIC smiley?)
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #15777115th May 2007 9:57 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I suppose it is possible for some brainless idiot without a brain to inflate them to the pressure on the sidewall. Shocked I wouldn't have expected it to handle very well though, and it's got to be bumpy!

33 on the front and 36 - 42 on the back.

I run mine with around 34.5 on the front though due to extra weight of the winch, and 36 on the back (rarely loaded much).
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15777315th May 2007 10:00 pm
andym

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
tyre pressures

I have just checked them again they were inflated to 58 psi at each corner. I usually check them at Christmas. I wonder if something in the centre of my brain sounded an alarm knowing it had come from Stratstones. It rode very well and the steering was like silk. Also the fuel consumption was good at a GATSOable speed.

Post #15779415th May 2007 10:56 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Oh noooooo, not St***stones again, I'd check every possible thing they could have tampered with, if I were you. Rolling Eyes

Post #15779615th May 2007 11:02 pm
jkp

Scotland 
Re: tyre pressures

andy mountfield wrote:
I usually check them at Christmas.

Just at Xmas Question Question

Post #15780216th May 2007 12:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Hmmm it's a question I've been curious about too. The Nittos are a bit bigger than door panel specs (285/60/18 ) & the sidewall says 50PSI. Right now I'm running them about 35 front/38 back. Seems to handle okay, but they look 'almost' a bit flat. Anyone recommend more air or should this be okay? Embarassed
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #15780416th May 2007 1:31 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

For black top driving slightly higher than reccomended gives getter handling but firmer ride. Matter of taste and choosing handling or comfort.
IMHO
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15780516th May 2007 1:48 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Similar with the AT2s, they look distinctly bulged at the bottom (easy!) unless you run them 2-3psi over the recommended figures for standard road tyres. Ride improves with the slightly higher pressure too. Sure as hell wouldn't take them much over 10% above recommended pressures though and will drop them if I'm in the gloopy stuff.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #15787816th May 2007 9:00 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

AFAIK you should run any tyre at the stated door label spec for normal driving and as mentioned, slightly higher if preferred.

I have noticed that MTR's look flat when off road, but apparently this normal Shocked

An Iain will be along soon no doubt to put us right.

Post #15789616th May 2007 9:47 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It's probably in the design of the MTR's to bulge at the bottom.
I know from mountain biking that lowering pressures and therefore getting more bulge, gives better off road traction.
Unfortunately, if I lower the pressure on my D3 tyres, I'd be running on the rims [40 profile!!!]
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #15789916th May 2007 9:53 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes the AT2s seem to bulge a bit, but I see this as normal and the way they're designed, so that they can get more grip. You don't want them too high, as its easier for a sharp stone to puncture them as there's no give.

ND I can assure you that you need to drop the pressure a huge amount to get them to bulge any more as I found out in France - running at ~24psi = me embarrassing myself and failing to get over many things first go, and failing completely on one particular thing, which is when the experts (Iain & Andrew) came over and commented on how little the tyres were bulging. So, a drop to the mid teens (around 16 or 17 I think) followed, and the tyres did start to bulge a bit more, and what do you know, suddenly I was able to calmly drive up the hill I couldn't get up before.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15790316th May 2007 10:03 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

LRM are featuring some preset valve release dooberries in the June issue. Set the pressure you want to drop to and voila, that's how low they go and no further. I know they've been around for a while but it hadn't crossed my mind to get any until now. 18psi or thereabout seems a common pressure to try, so that matches your experience in France quite nicely it seems?
Post #15792716th May 2007 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >