Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Tyres - again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Tyres - again!

I'm looking for advice on tyres. Before you haul me off to all the other references (i've read many on this forum) I need answers on two specific points:

* How big a profile can we employ before we run into issues of speed and distance (if I'm on 60 profile 255s now, can I safely go to 70 / 255s, or higher?). Is anything else affected? I raise this because I find the car difficult in sand unless the tyres are one bar or less, and that's way below what the LR Experience boys here recommend.

* Also, because I'm not wealthy enough to buy two sets of wheels / tyres, it's important I buy the right tyres for me. Again, like many, I find the standard tyres too weak for substantial off road work - not even sharp stones holed the tread on two occasions during out last holiday - therefore I need an all-terrain tyre. But neither do I want to raise noise levels or affect the wonderful ride and smoothness of the vehicle. What, in the experience of this great forum, is the most refined AT tyre.

Once I know what to buy, I'll try to find it. To my knowledge, you can't get any non-standard, standard-sized tyre (if you know what I mean) for a V8 SE (18 inch) in South Africa. And remember you can't fit 17s on a V8, even if you found the money for spare rims.

The car has done 19,300 km with even wear on Wranglers. I estimate another 10,000 will finish them. That's just one holiday and a bit of city driving down here, so it's important I plan ahead.

I thank you in advance for your help and patience.
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #15800316th May 2007 5:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >