Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Tyres for HSE 19inch Wheels for off road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Tyres for HSE 19inch Wheels for off road

I took my 07 HSE off road for a weekend and unfortunately put a few scratches on 3 of the alloys. Now I like my alloys mint so I intended to get some new ones for use on the road and keep these for off road. Being thick I need some advice what road legal off road tyres would fit the HSE wheels? As an a-side the Pirelli scorpions worked excellently offroad but did get a nick or two in the side walls so I thought something stronger might be better.

Many thanks for the help.

Chris

Post #17635610th Jul 2007 2:20 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You need some Goodyear Wrangler MTRs. Thumbs Up As far as I'm aware the only proper offroad tyre for the 19" wheel available in the UK
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17636010th Jul 2007 2:28 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Alternatively, you can contact Bobbycrispbox on here and see if he's still got his set of 4 x 17" wheels with Cooper STT tyres available for sale. Then you can just get your HSE 19" wheels refinished (about £50-£60 a rim at most tyre fitters) and they'll be as good as new.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17636110th Jul 2007 2:31 pm
cmyers_uk

NoDo$h,

Thank you for the responses the goodyears look good. What are the pro's and con's of getting 17inch v 19inch? Cost whilst an issue isnt my main driver. I want a set of wheels for offroad weekends good and strong and a perfect set of 19inch alloys with road based tyres for the rest of the time. The Pirelli scorpions have been good on road, and off road did everything that was asked of them but they did take a battering hence the need for a stronger tyre. I will post some pics of the scratches on the wheel, very interested if you think they could be repaired well.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Post #17647710th Jul 2007 6:43 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've done plenty of offroad on 17 inch with no problem.
I now have 19 inch RRS wheels with MTR's and still had no problem.
I brought the 19inch because i was concerned about sidewall damage - the MTR's have reinforced sidewalls whereas my normal conti's arent and from a personal opinion they are better in mud with there more aggressive tyre pattern and to be really honest they just look so 8)
At Rockingham recently there were a few people who got stuck in the mud who were wearing normal road tyres, but the offroad shod D3's had no problems - but the variables are so great (driving styles/speed/momentum/loading etc) that to be honest, if you can afford to keep a set for best (road) and a set for playing (offroad) then thats great, otherwise the D3 is so capable on standard rubber.

Post #17648610th Jul 2007 6:58 pm
cmyers_uk

Thank Rogue,

The only reason I want to change the road tyres was not performance although I'm sure in mud they wouldnt be as good as dedicated off road tyre its the hard wearing aspect. The scorpions did everything, I never got stuck once but they did take a hammering and whilst they did everything well I got nicks out of the side walls and thought if I'm going to do this alot which I hope to then it makes sense to have a set for the things they are designed for. On road I do drive quite fast and if I was say on the autoban in Germany my normal speed would be 95 so I want my road tyres in good condition.

Regards
Chris

Post #17650010th Jul 2007 7:20 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Pros and cons? There is a school of thought that suggests a deeper sidewall (17" wheel) gives more opportunity to lower pressures in really extreme mud, sand etc. On the flip side there are plenty of people on here running MTRs for many 000s of miles on and off road without damaging sidewalls or alloys, even when blasting across Morocco.

I mention the 17" ones as I know they are an excellent offroad tyre and a member here has a set at a sensible price. If I were buying new I'd go for the 17s myself (I prefer having a whole heap of sidewall available), but the number of people on 19" MTRs outweighs those on 17" STTs by some margin, so I seem to be in the minority!
Post #17659010th Jul 2007 8:57 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

My ears were burning, so I came along to see what people were saying about me Smile I do still have my STTs, after a fortnight of hard selling they're still in my garage Rolling Eyes Click here for the original thread

Apologies to anyone who has heard me say over the last few days that I'd sell them for £400, I changed my mind. I think they're a bargain at £500, and I think I'd be daft to sell them for less. However, I've realised that there's a gulf between what I think they're worth and what anyone else is willing to pay for them, so it looks like they're going to stay in my garage until I find a use for them again.

Shamelessly stealing an idea from AndrewS, I will make these wheels available for renting for disco3 events at a reasonable price Wink

And now to chuck another idea into the arena, I've been using the 18" AT2s for the last few days and I have to say I'm not just pleased with them, I'm amazed. They performed well in the Peaks, but didn't do that much to challenge them there. It was on the commute to work that they really amazed me. They're like glue on the roads, I can go round corners 15-20% faster than I ever could on the pirellis or STTs... Great fun Twisted Evil

Post #17660910th Jul 2007 9:26 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Iuse 17 "cooper st there very good you need to see them work to see how good they are as regards flexing sidewalls over rocks etc followed Wiggs on sunday he is on 17"AT2 good look. Thumbs Up

Post #17661010th Jul 2007 9:26 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Bobby, if you do sell them, I want commission!!! Wink
Post #17661910th Jul 2007 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >