Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Tyres - what next - read posts and now confused, lol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
drpepper

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Tyres - what next - read posts and now confused, lol

Banging Head So i want shot of the Goodyear Wranglers and want a decen replacement for my HSE with 19" rims on....read literally millions (lol) of posts on here and got not very far, so at the moment this is where I am:-

General Grabber AT2s - preffered option, look good, last, good price, seem to be a good balance between road and mud - but can't find the in the required size (not a good start)

Wrangler MTR's - Highly regarded, OK price but look maybe a bit further than I want to go 'off road wise' - do they compromise the on road performance?

Pirelli ATR - Again highly reagrded, sure they are great on road but can they cut it off road, most think so, going to be the priceier of the bunch and will they last to the same distance as some of the others, not sure they have the 'looks' of some of the others....

Vredstein Wintrac 4 extreme - Outside bet but again seem liked......

So if the grabbers are out due to sizing issue I suspect it'll be the MTRs over the ATRs on price........

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH! COnfused or what!!!

James.
 Errr, ummm, maybe...oh bo**ocks, just do it !

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2008 Zermatt Silver HSE with 20" Shadowchrome Stormers, 100W Spots, Sideboards, chrome pipes, Privacy Glass and D3 sticker
2000 Boxster S
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 

Post #5167737th Sep 2009 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I think it's confusing because there isn't a definite right answer and all four are good tyres.

I went with the ATRs because they seemed to be the only tyre for 19 inch wheels that did everything including good fuel consumption at motorway speeds. I'd recommend them with one proviso - that they'd be expensive to replace if they get damaged offroad.

With hindsight I think it might be best to use Vredesteins on road and have a set of 17 or 18 inch wheels with AT2s or MTRs for offroading. But it depends it you have the space and time for storing another set of wheels and swapping them over.

The things that would put me off running MTRs on 19 inch wheels all the time are fuel consumption and I'm not sure what they're like for wet braking? Maybe someone who has them can comment on that!

Post #5168327th Sep 2009 4:52 pm
drpepper

I never bought the car with off roading in mind, primary purpose is as a good. versatile family and kit shifting machine. I've done a bit of off roading before and as the car has the capability then I'd like to do a bit 'now and again' so don't see myself knee deep in mud every other weekend.

Having done a bit of further reading I think the MTRs have fallen of the list, simply don't need them and with 20k a year on road that has to be the main consideration......so an ATR type it must be....question now is whether it's the Pirelli r the Vredstein, could be a price led decision as doesn't seem much else to choose from.

I think you have the right approach - two sets. I have the room to store them (albeit not the patience to swap them over, lol), so if the off road bug ever develops into something more than an aside I'll aquire some 18s and stick MTRs on them Thumbs Up

Now then pirellis or Vredstein........... Big Cry

Cheers,

James.

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2008 Zermatt Silver HSE with 20" Shadowchrome Stormers, 100W Spots, Sideboards, chrome pipes, Privacy Glass and D3 sticker
2000 Boxster S

Post #5168447th Sep 2009 5:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

James ,
from what you have said and from your driving , I would go for a good set of road tyres (not AT's just road)
they will feel better, will wear better , and you will get better MPG's

for you occasional off road (you never know you might get the bug) i would get a set of 17"
and a set of muds (maxxis big horns on mine as good if not better than STT's and very cheep)

you will always sell them on , if you dont use them or if you sell up .
if you scrap a rim or rip a tyre its no so bad.

Ok you have to change tyres over , (ronp will do it for you in under 30mins , hes a nice obliging bloke )

just my view

Post #5168587th Sep 2009 5:26 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I'm watching this with interest as I've had exactly the same dilemma...

Last winter when my present Scorpion zero's were new, I didn't think they performed that well on ice, snow or much better in the wet. I know the Vredsteins should be a lot better in this regard, but the Pirelli ATR's look good on paper as well, but then the Vredsteins are a lot cheaper, but the chunky Pirellis do look a lot cooler to the eye ( 8) ). I can't afford two sets of wheels and it's therefore likely that the Vredsteins will wear out quickly with all the summer motorway miles, but if I don't like the ATR's I'm stuck with them for longer. But then again, if I do want to venture off road a little then the Pirellis should be tougher, but can I afford them? and lots of people rate the Vredsteins...

and so on and so on and ....

Can someone tell me what to do please... I seem to be in a loop... Confused
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #5168697th Sep 2009 5:45 pm
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:
Can someone tell me what to do please... I seem to be in a loop... Confused

Vredsteins

Post #5168747th Sep 2009 5:51 pm
Ken

Pirelli ATR

(sorry the other is a Winter Tyre and winter for a reason great tyre that it is in Winter and yes I will run on them this winter Thumbs Up) but ATRs are a great all rounder

Post #5168887th Sep 2009 6:16 pm
Andy Metropolis

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am also ready for a change of tyres, my pirelli zeros have done 22,000 miles. I don't need an MTR type as 95% of my driving is on tarmac. Looked at the AT2's which do look nice on a D3. Just to add to the confusion what about the Mitchelin Latitude.

One good thing about all the confusion if a decision can be made could be a group buy !!!!

Andy M
 Range Rover Velar HSE First Edition
Disco Sport HSE Lux
Evoque Pure Tech Gone
Disco 3 Metropolis gone
Freelander ES sadly gone
Ant 1963 SWB Series 2 still here
Audi A4 gone 

Post #5168957th Sep 2009 6:31 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Perelli ATR's.......... Very Happy

Suitable for motoray, school runs, green lanes and Disco events!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5169017th Sep 2009 6:40 pm
dimet

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Andy Metropolis wrote:
what about the Mitchelin Latitude

Hi Andy,
I'm now using them, and I'm thinking that next ones won't be Lattitude Tour...
They are really veeery veery silent, and that's OK. (their must)
Surelly they will help on increasing the mpg, too...
But I think that such a tyre should be better in wet conditions (aquaplaning). I drove more "secure" with my noisy worn Wranglers HP.
In snowy conditions, good when going up a snowy mountain road, but when going down Whistle ...
In mud conditions: Bad at all...
Now they're 30000km (about 18600miles), and I think they can last another 15000km (9300miles).

Allthough I do 95% tarmac, surely next ones will be a bit more off... Our car will be grateful...

David.

Post #5169237th Sep 2009 7:19 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

ATRs, very good on road / wet, very quiet, seem to wear well, good MPG, excellent on gravel / stone / rock. Better than zero's in mud.

General grabber AT2s better in mud but not on road / wet, slightly cheaper.

Had ATRs for 2 months now. Well pleased.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #5169707th Sep 2009 8:45 pm
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I had GG AT2s on my discovery 2 on 18" alloys and they were excellent and would be a no brainer if they did a 19" set. I am divided between buying some on 18" alloys again or trying something different, probably the pirellii ATR.

Post #5170017th Sep 2009 9:08 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Well, it looks like I'll give the ATR's a go then - yet to hear anything bad about them (apart from the cost).
Thanks to all who give advice. Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #5170277th Sep 2009 9:45 pm
drpepper

Yep, looking like the ATRs. Like you say just finding a decent price. Our site sponsor has given me what seems a good price for 4 of them but need to get them couriered then fitted.......I'm lazy so would prefer 'one stop' option but nothing doing as yet (can get 'one stop' but £50 more a corner and I'm guessing shipping and fitting won't be £50 a corner....)

Anyone know a decent fitter round Preston that would put them on without breaking anything or robbing me blind, if I can solve that issue then I'll go with the price he's given me and get 'em ordered?

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2000 Boxster S

Post #5170497th Sep 2009 10:17 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I more or less have the same problem, but still different.
My G4 came with some wrangler HP. I used them for a year now summer and winter and also in the Austrian snow. I have no complaints at all. Just one it is officially not a winter tyre so illegal in Austria in the winter.
Now my problem I bought a set off second hand RR 6 spokes cheaply I wanted to put wintertyres on them but they came with MTR's. So now my plan is to drive the MTR's in the summer and change the HP for winter tyres but the HP don't wear fast enough. I drove allready 35000 km with them and it looks like they are good for another 35000 km or so.
That could be another year or so.
I think if I suspect snow where I go I put the MTR's on but further try to use the HP's as much as possible.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #5170717th Sep 2009 10:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >