Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Tyres - Pirelli -v- Michelin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ecosse

Tyres - Pirelli -v- Michelin

Original tyres on HSE are Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (255/55-19) Local Costco are offering Michelin Synchrones at £135 each fully fitted which is well below the cost of Pirellis locally. The Synchrones were very effective on my TD5, with long life. Has anyone experience of them on TDV6 & in particular comparison to the Pirellis ref mileage, road & off road grip, refinemet, noise etc?

Post #4441825th Feb 2006 10:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have Synchrones fitted all round. They have been on for 12k miles now.

My first observation is how quiet they are compared to the wranglers that were originaly fitted. They have a very similar tread pattern to Wranglers, but rounded edges to the blocks.

The wear rate seems similar, and the road handling is similar. Off road they are good, but I suspect that the lateral grip on slippery grass is not quite as good as the Wranglers, but its a close call. In snow they were very good.

The Wranglers got very noisy towards the end of their lives, I almost thought I had a wheel bearing failing they were that bad.

Post #4442225th Feb 2006 10:47 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - what mileage did you get out of the Wranglers? - my Pirellis are down to under 3mm all round (from 9mm start) after only 10k miles! And at 12k miles what tread is left with the Synchrones? (I believe they start with 9mm on outer edges & 10mm centre of tread cording to the dealer).
Thanks

Post #4444326th Feb 2006 9:45 am
tucker_j

England 

Ecosse wrote:
Gareth - what mileage did you get out of the Wranglers? - my Pirellis are down to under 3mm all round (from 9mm start) after only 10k miles! And at 12k miles what tread is left with the Synchrones? (I believe they start with 9mm on outer edges & 10mm centre of tread cording to the dealer).
Thanks

The Wranglers on mine are between 5 and 6 mm remaining after 18,000 miles. Don't think they'll be as good as my D2 which was on it's original footwear at 57,000 miles!

Post #4444626th Feb 2006 11:08 am
SN

I would guess any tyre would last longer on a D2 compared to a D3 simply because of the weight difference
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4444926th Feb 2006 12:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >