DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

UK RHD Sunroof Drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
js671gb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
UK RHD Sunroof Drain

Hi Chaps,

So after a bit of an oops with some plonker hitting my D3 the insurance repaired it, except the Body shop are apparently useless & botched the sunroof drain on the drivers side leading to a nice squelchy mess in the drivers footwell.

Went back there today for them to fix it & they made such a balls up of it I've decided to not let them touch the truck again. They managed to push the 'X' bit back inside the wing of the car to the point they'd have to disassemble the wing/scuttle to get it back in again (ffs!)

I brought it home & rodded out the pipe with a bit of curtain wire, tipped some water down, no water running down the A-pillar as I'd see when they tipped an absolute shed load of it in there earlier today.

A few (probably stupid!) questions if I may:-

1: If the X valve thingy is pushed INSIDE the wing, is it going to drain its load into the car? (I think its outside the firewall so 'no'?)
2: Is there any way to pull the valve back through without having to take half the car to bits first?
3: If all else fails, how bad an idea would it be to seal up the front RHS sunroof drain & say 'screw it' when there are 3 working drains (one in the remaining 3 corners?) to take over?

Cheers boys & girls

Post #200094915th Nov 2018 7:21 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

1. Yes
2. No.
3. I wouldn't.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #200096715th Nov 2018 8:10 pm
Grandadrob

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

A while back my RH side drain got blocked. I was sitting in the car, facing downhill, in a very heavy rain storm. The water was pouring over the top of the front rail, onto the facia above the dials.

Checked all the drains, only the RH one was blocked, so rodded it out, its fine now..
This is just to say why not to block up even one drain, the circumstances will overpower you one day.
 1955 SWB Series 1 86 inch
1960 SWB Series 2 88 inch
2009 Discovery 3 HSE Bournville Pearl 

Post #200098115th Nov 2018 8:51 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If your car still has the original drain 'elbows' ( this is the part that fixes into the wing and is attached to the drain hose) then they will fail sooner or later, so replace them. They are about £4.50 each ( these will be the updated versions with no X section ) from memory. The drivers side is easy and is easily accessible from the footwell, just remove the lower section of trim.

The passenger side requires the car electrical junction box to be removed and is fiddly to say the least. There are some good 'how to' threads on here with photo's so just do a search.

Post #200129516th Nov 2018 10:51 pm
js671gb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

For anyone following this thread & those picking up later on - ended up getting a whole new pipe & elbow assembly from LR for about £15.

The ends pull off (thanks to Charliecloud for the info that seems you can get the end bits separately) - my original drain that had been mullered was the old 'slip over pipe' design so just slid off with a sharp tug, then it was a case of screwing and twisting the replacement up the pipe - they're a 'lipped' design a bit like a clip on garden hose connector.

You don't need to pull the plastic panel (with the light in) out completely - mainly on mine because it wouldn't come out.

Just unclip the kick panel in front of the drivers knees, drop the one with the light in & you can get to where you need to. On the panel with the light in you need to pull the triangular (ish) bit of carpet out towards you & not lose the silver spring clip that *will* fall out of it, then twist the panel down & out of the way.

The longest part of the job was getting the thing back through the bodywork, blindly channeling my inner gynaecologist & swearing. Minimal slashes on my wrists from the sharp bits under the dash.

All done, carpet still wet but I have a ton of silica packs from a delivery of kit for a client which are currently taking care of that in my drivers footwell haha.

Thanks guys!

Post #200315623rd Nov 2018 9:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >