Page 1 of 1
Boofrmb

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Uneven Tyre Wear

Technical Service Bulletin
No.LA204-008V2
27 September 2006
Reissue
Please replace the previous edition of this bulletin.
This bulletin supersedes TSB LA204-008/2006 dated 31 July , which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page).

Subject/Concern : Discovery 3/LR3 - Uneven Tire Wear

Models :
Discovery 3 / LR3 VIN- range : 5A000360-6A403382

Markets : All
Section : 204-00

Summary :

A customer may report a concern of uneven tire wear.

This bulletin has been re-issued to change the labor time to reflect the usage of the new tight tolerance geometry setting mode.
Cause : Certain vehicles may experience a degree of 'bush settle' after the initial geometry setting following production (this has now been compensated for using calculated geometry settings introduced from the VIN above). This 'bush settle' may change the geometry settings to outside of normal tolerance and may increase tire wear. This issue is not experienced on all vehicles and the toe sensitivity may be attributed to other factors.
Action : Should it become necessary to adjust vehicle geometry due to specific complaints of tire wear, or where the components detailed below have been changed, the geometry should be set to the target values detailed in this bulletin. These target values are within the geometry specifications detailed in the workshop manual but are purposely detailed to address the above concern.

Labour Time :
Operation Description Operation No. Time
Geometry alignment (includes tight tolerance mode - activate and deactivate) 57.65.04 1.80 hours

Repair/Claim Coding :
Causal Part : ALGN4W
ACES Condition Code : W6
Defect Code :

Service Information
CAUTION : When checking or adjusting front or rear steering geometry, the vehicle must either have a full fuel tank or have sufficient weight placed in the vehicle's load space to give the equivalent weight of a full fuel tank. The weight must be evenly distributed at the front and the right hand side of the load space. The fuel tank capacity is 86.3 liters (18.9 Imperial gallons) (22.7 US gallons). Depending on the amount of fuel in the tank, calculate the amount of weight which must be added:

1 liter of fuel weighs 0.8 kg (1.7 pounds).

1 Imperial gallon of fuel weighs 3.6 kg (8.0 pounds).

1 US gallon of fuel weighs 3.0 kg (6.7 pounds).

When setting suspension geometry specifically to correct tire wear concerns, or after front/rear, upper/lower control arm bushes component changes, the target setting for the rear (refer to the table below) should be to the maximum toe-in within specification (up to, but not greater than 22').
NOTE : Vehicles that have any of the front or rear, upper or lower control arm bushes changed should complete a ten mile road test before having the geometry set to allow the suspension to settle.

1 . NOTE : The air suspension tight tolerance mode should be activated when checking/setting geometry (refer to the procedure on GTR).

Adjust the front and rear wheel alignment, using the target setting values below. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 204-00, General Information, Specifications.

Target Values
Adjustment Target Value (degrees/minutes)
Front total toe 0° 02'
Left-hand rear toe 0° 11'
Right-hand rear toe 0° 11'
Rear total toe 0° 22'

©2006 LandRover
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE in Zambezi Silver
1948 Series 1 SWB Soft Top in Standard green 

Post #34306112th Sep 2008 11:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Best show this to your local quick fit when they say they have the equipment to carry out computerised four wheel alignement Smile

You can see why, to do this properly, the cost has to be quite high.

Regards
Steve

Post #34306312th Sep 2008 11:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Boofrmb

So True Steve, But a Brisbane Dealer didn't even know about the TSB, so my tires are feathered in a big way after a wheel alignment, and land Rover doesn't want to know about it, and mine tyre have only done 18000km

Rob

Post #34306712th Sep 2008 12:04 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

What exactly does putting the suspension into Tight Tolerance Mode using IDS do? I plan to take mine to the alignment centre myself, so I'd like to know if it's worth paying LR to set it to Tight Mode or not.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #34307212th Sep 2008 12:18 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

This mode was introduced to maintain greater accuracy when doing geometry adjustments. It has to be set with IDS, then unset again when the adjustment is complete.:

New functionality has been added to the integrated diagnostic system (IDS) that allows the
vehicle dynamic suspension (air suspension) to be temporarily set in a geometry setting
mode. This mode changes the suspension ride height tolerances to a lower/tighter range
(±5mm) to allow for accurate geometry adjustment. The mode is set using IDS, but the IDS
unit does not need to remain connected while the geometry is being adjusted. Activating the
geometry setting mode will cause the air suspension warning lamp to be illuminated and the
diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1A00-54 to be logged. However, when the mode is deactivated
using IDS, the warning lamp is extinguished and the DTC cleared automatically.
Variations in geometry setting results have led to the introduction of the above
suspension mode to improve setting consistency.

Rob,If the dealer has done a geometry adjustment correctly, & nothing else is worn, then it should be down to them to sort it. We are just in the process of upgrading our wheel alignment kit, to carry out Full 4 wheel alignment correctly, because of erratic results from other places.

It's not really rocket science once the principles are understood, but it does take alot of time to do correctly, which unfortunatly some less scrupulous places might try to 'cut corners', to save time. It's back to using somewhere you trust & can go back to if there is a problem (& have the correct kit ) Smile
I think this is one area, you get what you pay for.

Regards
Steve

Post #34308812th Sep 2008 12:43 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

And when I asked the question to my local " Should the vehicle be put in any kind of special height setting to allow accurate alignment ?"

I was told

"No No , just stick it on the ramp in normal height"

FFS Evil or Very Mad I give up.

Post #34311012th Sep 2008 1:23 pm
Wex

Anyone like to comment on the previous & final values here.Are the target values correct ?

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Wex on 12th Sep 2008 3:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #34311712th Sep 2008 1:46 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Give me a while & I'll have a look at the specs you have & compare them.
Regards
Steve

Post #34317712th Sep 2008 3:49 pm
Wex

Thanks Steve Thumbs Up .Wheels & Steering are a pet hate/gripe of mine.The rest of the D3 could be fallin' to bits for all I'd know.
I do a lot of miles everyday so then if it isn't right I get antsy Rolling Eyes

Post #34317912th Sep 2008 3:52 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Sorry for the delay, it took a little while to work the specs back, as Landrover give them in degrees & Minutes. 10 minutes equates to 0.166 recurring degrees. 1.4mm, should equate to approx 10'

Suspension at Standard Ride Height Coil Spring Suspension Dynamic (Air) Suspension
Castor 4º 01' ± 45' 4º 01' ± 45'
Cross Castor 0º ± 45' - Maximum 0º ± 45' - Maximum
Camber - 30' ± 45' - 30' ± 45'
Cross Camber 0° ± 45' - Maximum 0º ± 45' - Maximum
King Pin Inclination (KPI) 13º 54' 13º 54'
Total Toe - 0º 10' ± 12' - 0º 10' ± 12'

Steering Geometry - Rear

Suspension at Standard Ride Height Coil Spring Suspension Dynamic (Air) Suspension
Camber - 0° 30' ± 45' - 1º ± 45'
Cross Camber 0° ± 45' - Maximum 0° ± 45' - Maximum
Total Toe 0º 10' ± 12' 0º 10' ± 12'
Thrust Angle 0º 8' - Maximum 0º 8' - Maximum

Looking at your figures, then the targets are fairly close to Landrover figures. All your figures are good except your LH kingpin inclination. As far as I am aware this is not adjustable, unlike the other settings. I would be interested to see other readings from anyone else who has them?
But how much does putting the vehicle in 'tight tolerance mode' upset the above readings? Or, by adjusting the suspension & not allowing it to resettle upsets the readings, i.e. they will be different when driven back down the road & rechecked.
I think the art of getting all the alignment correct is building up a database of good & bad vehicles & known 'good' settings.

HTH
Regards
Steve

Post #34434315th Sep 2008 9:13 pm
Wex

Cheers Steve Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The figures above certainly weren't taken whilst it was in any mode except normal height.

Post #34435715th Sep 2008 9:37 pm
hudsonian

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I recently had a 4 wheel alignment done on my D3, you will see the before and after settings on a picture in my gallery.

The left side of the screen is the before (red is bad), the right hand of the screen is the after (green is good)

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=2

Car runs really well, mpg has also increased drematically.

Post #34805722nd Sep 2008 7:13 pm
Boofrmb

Hi Guys. The Plot thickens.

I Just got a local guy to do the Wheel alignment on my unit. Unfortunately they couldn't correct one of the wheel due to a stripped camber bolt.

Rang the Land Rover dealer in Brisbane (In the Valley), Who did the last Alignment, 25th July, and they informed me that there is a fault with the camber bolt and washer, but Land Rover are not telling anyone, but it will be fixed under warranty.

Rob

Last edited by Boofrmb on 27th Sep 2008 5:41 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #35002326th Sep 2008 10:57 am
Wex

Interesting Rob , keep us posted Thumbs Up

Post #35004326th Sep 2008 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >