Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Unusual Occurrence
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D3 1234

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Unusual Occurrence

Had track rod ends, etc replaced which reduced knock noise however there was still a splitting noise every so often which appeared to be coming from deep within the centre of the dash area. I duly took off the centre speaker cover and wedged the inside cavity with pieces of foam pipe lagging. The slight expansion or bracing effect this has caused has virtually eliminated the intermittant splitting sound but may have caused another problem.
This week i was working out in the sticks of south kerry so was glad that the splitting sound was rare during the three and a half hour journey. Did my few jobs and went about going home. Turned Key and disc gave the usual spin under passenger seat and 4x4 display came on. Then there was some mechanical movement from behind the radio area for about 1 second and i could hear the foam move. Screen then went blank and radio sound went dead and " low power mode" came uo on radio. I said i daren't restart as it was pitch dark and out in the middle of nowhere so drove on like the clappers to Killarney where i stay. Switched off and waited for full shutdown. Re-started and disc spun again as usual and 4x4 display came on and could hear that mechanical movement from behind radio area but everything worked fine this time and hasn't occured since.
I presume this thing moves every time one turns the key for the first time just hadn't noticed it before until i maybe blocked its path slightly by putting in the foam insulation.
Does anyone know what this occurrece is. It happens just after the solenoid light goes off when starting after a period of sleep mode. It is like a lever moving or something. Would it be something as simple as the cd changer? or a faulty switch or solenoid of some sort. This could have been the cause of the intermittant splitting all along and if i knew what it was i could remove the foam insulation and get ripping to sort it out.
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Ter

Post #61000525th Feb 2010 12:03 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Maybe you've managed to block the recircluation motor/spindle/flap of the air con/climate control?

Try switching the climate control to "OFF" as soon as you put the key into position "1" and see if it stops it from happening??

If so, then you'll need to remove the foam and put less of it in there in the passenger side....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #61003225th Feb 2010 12:50 pm
D3 1234

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yesterday evening went to fill up with diesel and the hatch wouldn't open.
Pressed lock and unlock a few times and still wouldn't open.
Then all of a sudden it allowed me to open it.
Had noticed yesterday that when i took the key out of the ignition that i did not hear the click of the door unlock.
Believe it or not all well this morning and when i took out the key that the drivers door unlocks again and the fuel hatch locks and unlocks. My D3 is developing a mind of its own i think. Any similiar experiences?

Ter

Post #61057026th Feb 2010 11:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >