DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Unusual snapped crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 
Unusual snapped crank

Hi folks,

Anybody taking part in my snapped crank sweepstakes might be interested to learn about a new type of snap. As you can imagine, we see a lot of snapped cranks. But they have all snapped in the same place; between #2 big end and #2 main. This is where the crank is the thinnest...

Now however, I've just come across a snap on the front counterweight where the metal is the thickest.

Here you can see the 2 types of snap compared.

This has come out of an engine we rebuilt over 2yrs ago and had done 36k miles. The crank was reground to .25mm across the board at the time of the rebuild and had a 0.5mm rebore with new rods & pistons. The crank, rods, pistons, flexiplate, front damper & pulley all balanced as a set. Strip down of the oil pump showed no signs of wear or scoring, so was working properly. No bearings had turned and showed normal wear. Fuel injectors tested and all working within specifications at time of snap. Car was serviced by us every 6k miles using Castrol Edge Pro 5w30 C1

It just goes to show that no matter what you do and how well you look after your engine, Censored can happen at any time.
 Joe  
Post #203001919th Feb 2019 9:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry That very worrying!
 2010 Disco 4 HSE
- Digital Dash Club
- GAP BT IID 

Post #203002019th Feb 2019 9:10 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Has this crank gone in a different way because it’s been rebuilt? Have you had many engines come back after a rebuild with another snapped crank?

It would be interesting to know what sort of mileage people are getting after an engine rebuild before the engine goes bang again? I can’t believe these engines are such a lottery!!!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #204035226th Mar 2019 9:24 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

No, I don't think it was anything to do with the rebuild we did. The engine was running perfectly and everything checked out. Like I said, I've not seen one like this before.

As to the life of a rebuild, this is the only example where I know the history of the engine. We do get jobs in where the engine has had a recon and failed, but the owner is new and didn't know the engine had been done in the past, so no idea of mileage.

We service cars with 200k miles on the original engine and, god knows how, still have the original timing belt Shocked
We have 3yr old cars with dealer service, 30k miles and failed engines Shocked Shocked

It really seems like a lottery to me; you're either lucky or not
 Joe  
Post #204035626th Mar 2019 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Looking at the break, I wonder if its the result of the regrind of the crank . The radius, journal to the web, its a classic stress raiser, has to be very precise and it has broken at that point.

Post #204035726th Mar 2019 9:59 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think JLR have got the same problem as Boeing Shocked , it’s just got to be a bug in the software, if one injector injects fuel once in an advanced stage and it fires before the piston reaches TDC it is equal to having water in the cylinder and everybody knows what that does, and it happening twice to the same vehicle might confirm this.
My condolences to the owner and yourselves if it costs Big Cry
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #204038926th Mar 2019 12:01 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Why was the car serviced evey 6K, that seems a little odd, or is it just that the car only cover 6K a year although that does not add up with the mileage and re-build info
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #204062026th Mar 2019 11:52 pm
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

M3DPO wrote:
I think JLR have got the same problem as Boeing Shocked , it’s just got to be a bug in the software, if one injector injects fuel once in an advanced stage and it fires before the piston reaches TDC it is equal to having water in the cylinder and everybody knows what that does, and it happening twice to the same vehicle might confirm this.

There may be mileage in that thought, we build and refurbish classic trials cars, they use ford e93a and 100e engines, as you can imagine there’s not many left and even fewer spares, so our engine rebuilds are all very custom ensuring that components are as close as possible to perfection, free flow exhausts twin SUs then when in compertion revs you wouldn’t believe an old side valve engine could do, never a broken crank worse we have had a big end picking up.
Miss injection timing there’s a thought.
 Discovery 3 HSE 07
Discovery 1, Search & Rescue SE4x4 Responce
Fiat Decato motor home
Mazda MX5 

Post #204062927th Mar 2019 12:41 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
Why was the car serviced evey 6K, that seems a little odd, or is it just that the car only cover 6K a year although that does not add up with the mileage and re-build info

It was the customer's choice to have an oil change every 6k miles. He was a bit worried because of the first failure (big end) and wanted a belt & braces plan.
 Joe  
Post #204104728th Mar 2019 9:00 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

PCT3 wrote:
M3DPO wrote:

There may be mileage in that thought, we build and refurbish classic trials cars, they use ford e93a and 100e engines, as you can imagine there’s not many left and even fewer spares, so our engine rebuilds are all very custom ensuring that components are as close as possible to perfection, free flow exhausts twin SUs then when in compertion revs you wouldn’t believe an old side valve engine could do, never a broken crank worse we have had a big end picking up.
Miss injection timing there’s a thought.

Fuel injectors are something we religiously check to see if they are operating within specification. A high or low fueling or bad spray pattern injector is going to give the engine an imbalance. When we strip down failed engines, the injectors are tested and most of the time we see a correlation with a failed big end and faulty injector. In some cases, other injectors are also out of spec, but not failed a big end. It's not a definite cause, but does give some food for thought.
 Joe  
Post #204104928th Mar 2019 9:08 am
adam

United Kingdom 

OvalAutos wrote:
Russell wrote:

It was the customer's choice to have an oil change every 6k miles. He was a bit worried because of the first failure (big end) and wanted a belt & braces plan.

I used to change mine every 6 months irrespective of mileage as a belts and braces plan - seems more of a placebo now.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #204106528th Mar 2019 10:13 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Many moons ago vovlo fl10 crankshafts would not take a grind, grind and refit to a rebuilt engine and the clock would be ticking on how long before it broke, it normally wasnt long, after a few they finally listened and bought new cranks.

Post #204112328th Mar 2019 1:33 pm
Kevo83

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

adam wrote:
OvalAutos wrote:
Russell wrote:

I used to change mine every 6 months irrespective of mileage as a belts and braces plan - seems more of a placebo now.

same here every 6 months oil and filter change, booked in with oval auto on Friday for service Thumbs Up

Post #204483210th Apr 2019 7:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >