Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Tips & Tricks

How to upgrade your foglights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3
How to upgrade your foglights?

After alot of reading about bulbs and all kinds of upgrades, I found that the best and safest idea to upgrade my weak foglights is to change the H11 55W bulbs with higher voltage H9 65W, I reckon about a 55% improvement. This will improve your lumens output from 1350 to 2100! this is because the H9 bulb dosn't have a reflector on the top + 10 more watts.

The H9 globe and the H11 look more or less the same except that if you hold them side by side the locating lugs on the bulb-base are slightly different. the top one is asymetrical and the one on the H9 is sort of biased to the left and the H11 is biased to the right , but it will fit tightly into the socket.
after that you will notice that the plug will not fit the globe. You will find that the bulb female socket has 2 locating lugs moulded into the plastic of the base either side of the 2 electrical pins in the centre, but 1 of those will prevent the male plug from fitting into the socket. I decided that it was a very precise and delicate job so I just used a very sharp fine chisel to remove the top lug from the globe socket. After that, the plug slipped easily and the clips engaged perfectly, fitted the foglights and wooow Shocked what a huge difference (Brighter and whiter) and worth the money I spent for 2 bulbs (30$), the stock bulb looks like a candle if compared to the H9 bulb.

I don't think that the extra 10 watts will fry your harness (unless that you're using 100W bulb) or melt your foglight's (metalic) housing, BUT REMEMBER THAT doing this upgrade is at your own risk.

Here is some pics that shows everything..

Note: the right fog uses the moded. H9 bulb, left one still stock.

There are more pics at my gallery if you are intrested Thumbs Up
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard 

Last edited by Q8_LR3 on 3rd Mar 2007 12:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13142119th Feb 2007 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Q8_LR3 - thanks for sharing a great find and how to modify the base.

In Australia there is a tendency for many drivers to use their fog lights as supplemental lights for night time driving. (Haven't seen fog around these parts for a loooong time.)

The practice of driving like this does irritate other road users especially when we get a little bit of rain on the road and it becomes very reflective.

My point (at long last, I hear) is that I hope they (being the Fog Light Offenders) do not discover your great find!

And BTW, mine is a base model without fog lights so I have to suffer twice. No fog lights so that I could replace my fog lamp globes and nothing other than main (halogen) headlamps to remind the FLOs of their misdemeanor.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #13150420th Feb 2007 12:47 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Leigh, same here in Ireland. Most drivers have never seen real fog, so when it starts raining on go the front foglights which then remain on permanently. I think I read once that it is actually illegal to use them unless in situations with severely impaired vision (i.e. thick fog), but I've never seen or heard of anyone being stopped for having their foglights on on a nice sunny day. Sad I've never ever had to use my foglights, even during fog I noticed no difference with them on.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #13150720th Feb 2007 12:59 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I live in Mudgee where we do get the occassional fog. BUT LOTs of people have their bright fog lights on during the day. In one of my cars I flash my own fog lights at them in the other, which has no fog lights, I flash the headlights. Needless to say most people think I am warning them of a police speed trap ahead or saying hello very few of them turn off their fog lights!! Although if I am followed by someone with fog lights on I flash my rear fog light (on both cars) and they usually get the message Wink
 regards
Peter

Post #13151220th Feb 2007 2:03 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Brendan - you might 'see' a difference with fog lights modded as per Q8's. However, my limited experience is that brighter is not necessarily going to make a difference other than reflect more light back to the driver.

But I like the fact that you can have much more light at the front (and appear standard) without having to fit auxillary lights to an A bar or the bumper.

And I am with you Peter on trying to let them know!!
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #13151420th Feb 2007 2:52 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Saw a great bumper sticker on a Cruiser the other day: "FOG LIGHTS ARE FOR FOG and w Censored kers." Wonder where I could find one. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #13151520th Feb 2007 4:43 am
Jamo

Australia 

In WA it's illegal to have fog lights on unless there's a fog.

I'm with you guys, I find them annoying when used at other times (ie 364 days of the year here!).
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13151920th Feb 2007 6:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
300+

A better mod would be to convert the beam pattern to driving lamps and make them switch with main beam. It would look stock and provide a benefit without blinding oncomers.

Not that you really need it with the xenons, but lights are like power & money. Too much is never quite enough.

Steve

Post #13152520th Feb 2007 9:29 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Here in Kuwait we don't have any regulations that prohibit the use of rear/front foglights in clear weather, there are alot of people that fits HID kits on a standard halogen reflectors (fog or/and mainbeam) that will produce alot alot of glare, and don't even care about other people, if you want to drive.. wear a sunglasses 8)

There are also alot of a**holes who switch on the hazard lights when driving in a slightly foggy or rainy conditions, that will confuse alot of drivers Confused

I'm NOT intending (I'm not asking you also) to use my moded foglights in clear conditions unless there is a real fog, off-roading or as a daylight running light, some people will think that switching on the fogs all the time will look cool (I don't think so)
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #13153120th Feb 2007 10:29 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would say the upgrade may not be bad idea for fog. Got caught in fog (low cloud actually, at 1000m) at night. High beam too bright, low beam too bright, fogs too dim. Maybe Q8_LR3 has a good idea to upgrade the fogs. If I lived on the Oberon Plateau I would give it a go.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #13153820th Feb 2007 10:47 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

As fog lights are illegal for using as extra light in non-fog conditions and fog conditions where they are really usefull are rare, I wonder why almost all decent cars have them. I don't need them.

I would welcome a solution to replace the fog lights by daytime running lights. The government idiots here have made switched on lighting obligatory at every time (night& day).

It is good for the gov. for getting extra money from fines and tax on extra fuel using and boosts the sales of batteries and bulbs.

Xenons are too expensive to light all time!

Therefor some manufactureres offer daytime running lights. They look like the fog lights but aren't. Also only the back lights remain off when running on daytime lights.

PS, I had the "scandinavian" system programmed where lighting is alwas switched on with the contact on.
I was pleasently surprised that the auto switch now switches only the turning of the lights. During day the lights are on but just look ahead. During night, they are adaptive and turn into the curves.

Dissappointed that I can not drive anymore without lights. I used to do this on my private road to hunt Censored that chop my trees down and dump garbage.

Post #13154820th Feb 2007 11:54 am
White Disco

Australia 

CaverD3,
I'll have two of those stickers, if you can find them. I notice here in Vic. it's mainly little Censored Sheep in little, mobile speed humps Evil or Very Mad that probably have no idea they have their 'LOOK AT ME' idiot lights on. "Oh I just turn the light, on, switch, thingy to full. Straight after I pull out the choke and hang My handbag on it. Oh and if the engine starts making a strange noise I just turn up the radio."
If I was going to Mt Vic or Bleakheath each day they would be a good investment.
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #13175921st Feb 2007 6:02 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
yellow bulbs for fog lamps?

I was wondering about replacing the "white" bulbs in the two "fog" lights with some sort of "yellow" bulb.

Many years back, I had some experience with driving in both snow, rain and or fog with yellow lens Cibe headlights. I really figured that was the answer to the flashback that one experiences with white light. I do not however see anymore, the use of yellow in fog lights, let alone the main beam.

Re headlights I understand, as for the most part, only some version of white is legal in North America and I gather maybe also the EU now.

If someone is using yellow bulbs for their fogs, I would appreciate knowing the type of bulb being used.

Post #5294824th Oct 2009 7:55 pm
mikep

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

hi bbyer,
for 'yellow' bulbs try here, also good link to general bulb replacement info on many lamps and vehicles.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/BulbsMain.aspx

and

http://www.autolamps-online.com/halogen/cvcentre.htm
 Know your limitations, come closer to perfection.

Other wheels, Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.

Other pleasures, SWMBO,......honest dear! 

Post #53570117th Oct 2009 12:31 am
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wonder where you got the plug in voltmeter in your gallery? Rolling Eyes

Post #54031426th Oct 2009 2:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >