Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Upper tail gate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
bambi

England 

Mercman, the use of capitals permantaly when typing, texting is considered bad form and akin to shouting at someone.

Post #96849422nd Aug 2012 7:26 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Mercman

The microswitch can be extracted by removing the rubber cover (pulls off) and then prising out the switch assembly which is held by plastic bards at the two ends.

The usual problem is that the plate under the rubber cover gets stuck with crud and removing the crud frees up the plate his allowing the switch to operate. Although there is also the possibility that the mcroswitch has failed.

The microswitch for the Discovery only comes as part of the whole tailgate handle assembly (it is wired into the same connector used by the number plate lights), although the microswitch does have the same part number as the one on the Range Rover Sport Tailgate microswitch (YUZ500020) which is available just as a microswitch with a connector on it (but to use it you would have to cut off the connector and splice it into the wiring on the existing tailgate assembly.

However, if the microswitch has gone faulty, a better approach to using the Range Rover Sport microswitch is to buy a complete colour coded tailgate handle assembly from site sponsor Duckworth Land Rover Parts (see link to sponsors at top of page) for £22 plus VAT (free postage if you email them and say you are a site member and then order by phone) the cost is approximately the same no matter which route you take (although the normal price for a colour coded on non colour coded tailgate handle is very much higher). If they do not have the colour for your vehicle you can either swap the covers over between the old and new tailgate assemblies (the cover is clipped on - need to get to back of tailgate assembly to unclip it) on take the microswitch together with the tailgate lights off the new tailgate handle assembly and fit to the old tailgate handle assembly.

Post #96957925th Aug 2012 11:36 pm
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

zig wrote:
Note by pressing both lock and unlock buttons on the key and holding for three seconds it is possible to toggle between single-point entry (drivers door only) and unlocking all the doors.

Again Ive learnt something new Thumbs Up
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #102152419th Dec 2012 12:52 pm
Eggbox Aviation

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi guys

I have noticed recently that the lower tailgate on my 07 is getting a bit temperamental.... It works fine when it does work but often it takes a few presses of the button to get anything to happen. Is this a completely unrelated issue (i would hope there is less chance of water getting into the lower button/switch) or another documented issue that may get worse? Confused

Post #105960121st Feb 2013 11:47 am
Mee4

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hy folks
Having similar problems with my tailgate, when pressing buttons on dash door will only open to first catch and then sticks, could this still be the microswitch or may it be the main actuator in the lower door

Post #11139167th Jun 2013 8:06 am
Mee4

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

bought new upper tailgate handle from Duckworths, it was the standard grey so changed the cover everything now works ok, it actually took longer to change the cover than fit the handle, altogether about 1/2 hour to remove old one and fit new one

Post #111920218th Jun 2013 4:07 pm
johnnyboy997

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Temperamental tailgate

Guys- need some help here- bit of a mystery:

Top window in the tailgate opens only when it feels like it and is totally unpredictable. Might go for 2-3 days, I try it and it opens. I never expect it to open successfully- so i'm surprised when it does- though clearly this can't continue.

I've tried toggling / holding dashboard switches as outlined above. All I get is the sound that the doors appear to have unlocked- the 'click' from the rear that means that the microswitch 'must' (???) be working.

When I last managed to open the thing I checked the microswitch- and it appears to have been changed already as it looks in almost new condition- so I'm thinking it might not be the issue.

When the top window was opened the lower tailgate opens without issue in the usual way- so I'm thinking that the cable and connector etc are also ok otherwise the thing wouldn't release, would it? The mechanism etc has clearly been examined before as the membrane had been cut and replaced with duct tape.

Do you think that it could be the actual physical lock mechanism that just isn't moving far enough to disconnect the top window from its' locked position when the microswitch is activated?

Ideas and suggestions please?!!!
 D4 HSE in Stornoway- love it. Jaguar XF, MG TF, D2 ES V8 and 2x TR7s for playing!

Gone- D3- a fortune spent and now a lovely car for it's new owner; D2 G4 replica- Tangiers Orange and survivor of 2 Pot Noodle Challenge's! 

Post #113151215th Jul 2013 6:50 am
Martin.j

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I am waiting for a new actuator to be delivered as my tailgate has the same problem as yours. My one try's to pull the cable but seems to not pull enough and if I press the button to unlock a couple of times it pulls less and less until it stops pulling altogether. I will let you know if fitting a new actuator sorts it when it arrives.
Martin

Post #113152815th Jul 2013 7:45 am
111MLR

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mega forum guys- been a member 5 minutes and this thread has taught me two things and got me into my boot. Brilliant. Thumbs Up

Post #114226610th Aug 2013 3:00 pm
manwithhabits

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Martin.j wrote:
I am waiting for a new actuator to be delivered as my tailgate has the same problem as yours. My one try's to pull the cable but seems to not pull enough and if I press the button to unlock a couple of times it pulls less and less until it stops pulling altogether. I will let you know if fitting a new actuator sorts it when it arrives.
Martin

Hi Martin,
How did you get on with the new actuator? I'm having exactly the same problem! I'm hoping to get the time this weekend to take the actuator out and give it a clean, but would like to benefit from your experience first!

It's a bit frustrating to not know if the tailgate is going to open or not when you want to put a shed load of shopping and a buggy in the back!!!

MWH

Post #115001130th Aug 2013 1:09 pm
albbu

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Guys,

Been having the same problem with tailgate actuator for the last few months.

Changed the latch assembly, as the hook at the end was bent, and not applying
enough pressure to the latch.

All worked fine for a few weeks then started again to not release the tailgate.

Firmly convinced that is heat the problem and that its temperature related, when the tailgate lid
is hot, the actuator clicks and works the latch assembly, but the tailgate fails to release.

Stripped it all down and found that the latch jaws are activated but the actual locking
hook fails to "spring" inwards allowing the gate to be released.

Can only think that the latch assembly heats up the frame exppands and jams the locking hook.

Have tried lubricating and still find on hot days the latch fails.

Patiently waiting for the weather to break (its 38degsC ) and will strip down again.

Thanks for all the input!!!

Will report back.

Post #17023297th Sep 2016 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
albbu

Well the cooler weather is here and the tail latch has failed totally!!

Got a new latch and actuator and fitted them , thanks to the fotum, lr service bulletin, now all working fine.

It was caused by the actuator solenoid not compressing the operating core with sufficient
Force to operate the latch with enough energy to release the latch hook.

All appeared to be working, but the new solenoid pulls in with about twice the force of the defective
One, but made all the right noises.
Tried the old latch in situ and it works fine,

Hope this is of some help to people!!
 2007 D3 HSE
2006 D3 SE LHD
2006 FreelanderTd4
2002Td5Disco2
1974 109" Daktari
1948 80"
LRSOC Member for years 

Post #172204019th Oct 2016 11:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G7jtk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Can the upper tailgate be opened from inside?

Post #172332523rd Oct 2016 11:31 am
albbu

Hi G7jtk,

I had to open from the inside, by using the LR Tech notification, posted
previously on the site.

Not to easy as stated, as i damaged the inner carpet slightly, trying to prise it out of the
plastic cover, used a thin flat scraper in the end.

Once open it is still not easy, i could not release the latch as per the insruction,
and eventually got a 9mm soket in and realeased the solenoid assy from the tailgate,
eased it out and released the cable assembly and then pulled the inner and released
the latch.

I thought of attatching an emergency pull to the latch and feed this inside the car,
you still have to get through the carpet inner, and or gate to make the cable accessable.

Best advice i can say if you have problems, get inside while it is working, remove the
inner carpet, and get the new bits on order!!!

At least if it fails completely you can get access to the latch!!

Good luck!!
 2007 D3 HSE
2006 D3 SE LHD
2006 FreelanderTd4
2002Td5Disco2
1974 109" Daktari
1948 80"
LRSOC Member for years 

Post #172333723rd Oct 2016 12:11 pm
G7jtk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks. I'll use this when I get a chance to look at the job

Post #172351023rd Oct 2016 6:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >