Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Is there any value in having CCTV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
al cope

England 
Is there any value in having CCTV

The story is this - in my road we have had one car stolen when the driver (stupidly in hindisght) got out of her car with the engine running to move her bin, when a lad then jumped in and drove off. We have had a neighbour disturb someone trying to drill his back door lock, and Saturday night a house broken into to steal the car keys to a Bemmer and Audi (which they got away with).

In the first 2 both were caught on CCTV, but when the Police were offered the footage by the victims, were told they didnt want it.

So my question is this - does all that having CCTV get you is a nice picture of some scroat having your hard earned posesions away whilst laughing at the camera?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #193073527th Mar 2018 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

We had our car rummaged by some young scroats a few years ago, whilst it was on the drive - wife left it unlocked. Police came, fingerprints taken etc, they were very keen on getting the CCTV footage. Didn't result in an arrest, but I'm glad I had it.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #193074027th Mar 2018 2:00 pm
conman69

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I guess you could post the footage online so everyone knows which scroat's they are dealing with Thumbs Up

The poster will probably fall foul of the law though Whistle

Do the Police already know the scroat's involved then CCTV footage is not required Whistle
 Discovery3 TDV6 GS
Disco3.co.uk front orange +white tailgate stickers
Belts, pulleys, oil pump replaced, double tow-bar electrics
Land Rover rubber mats throughout, tinted windows, wind deflectors, smoked side repeaters, retro fitted Garmin, smooth leather steering wheel, cruise control + radio switches, 19" HSE wheels, Bearmech side-tubes, BAS IFBH module, roofbars.
LML Star Deluxe 

Post #193074227th Mar 2018 2:01 pm
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I would get some stills done and go to the local paper.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #193074327th Mar 2018 2:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have it, but know that there is little change of the police using it, or knowing who they are below their hoodies, its a personal choice

But then i would be asking the police, when offered, why were they not interesting in the footage? are they not supposed to look at all evidence? The question then would be is it admissible in court?

Post #193074427th Mar 2018 2:08 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think they are so stretched these days that unless anybody is hurt they don't even bother investigating.

Had various vans broken into several times over the years, mostly on my drive and once parked at the rear of a site whilst I was working at the front!!

The Police didn't attend on any occasion. In fact the last incident was reported via the 111 number, they took some details and within 12 hours I received an email telling me no further investigation would be taking place Shocked
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #193076527th Mar 2018 3:25 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Maybe ..... A few months ago Hermes van driver reversed on my drive after dropping off a parcel. He hit the low wall, which I heard inside. Rushed out and he was gone. A few coping bricks were damaged and chipped. I took some photos straight away and contacted Hermes with details of van from the note on the parcel.

I was told to get two quotes and send them all the details. Getting quotes for a small job is an event in itself round here.

I duly submitted all the details, after two weeks I chased them. Got an email the next day to say that driver didn't recall doing any damage,so claim refused! No s Censored Sherlock, like he was going to admit it and face getting the sack or having to pay. So I asked for it to be escalated to a manager.

Long story short - Manager says that without a witness or CCTV then they wont accept liability Big Cry

So they might not be of use against scroates - but with more and more vans dropping off goods a cctv system may be useful if they do some accidental damage.

Post #193077427th Mar 2018 4:33 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thought about this a lot over time and on balance I feel a lot more secure with CCTV to me it is worth having it. However it is not one size fits all.

We had real hassle a few years ago with a nutter of a neighbour, vandalism to the car coupled with three RSPCA visits and despite countless reasonable requests from us for the nutter to keep away in the end I nailed it with CCTV. I got enough evidence for the neighbour from hell to be warned off by Police on two separate occasions for trespass and nuisance. It caused so much anguish at the time for my family that without CCTV it was my word against theirs but what it did achieve was evidence. I forced the hard pressed police to act.

These days it is simple to install and importantly you can use a trigger of activity on CCTV camera to send direct to your smart phone the image of the event (by push notification) whether a threat to cars, garden shed, property or indeed personal, you can choose how to respond.
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #193078527th Mar 2018 5:24 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

I have had two quite differing experiences..

1. A truck delivering to a hotel I was staying basically drove over my car and wrote it off. As it was on 'Private property' the driver and the company he worked for denied liability (the delivered 6 nights a week to the hotel!). The image was clear on the CCTV.. so i went to the local Police station.. I got a parking Ticket because they took so long to see me! The were NOT interested and said it was a civil matter!

2. My Neighbour did some damage to my property.. The Police came and WERE interested in the CCTV footage. They confronted him. He admitted it but told them they did not know their Law (he is a Solicitor). They gave him an official warning for Damage to Property and Theft. He later returned the items he had removed!

So .. I have two very differing experiences with CCTV. I still have Overt AND Covert CCTV inside and outside my property.. The Local Police said it was very useful for them... I guess it depends where you are and how busy the Police are??
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #193079527th Mar 2018 5:39 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a good cctv system .
well it would have been as off monday 26 /3/18 i had a ifor gx106 plant trailer attached to my discovery outside my house at 4pm by 4.30 discovery was lonely on its own.
Did my bit tonight stopping all traffic down my lane from 4 till 4.45 asking if any one had seen my trailer being took off mine and attached to anything .
Well wot fun i had nearly run over twice......every ones blind.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post #193084227th Mar 2018 6:47 pm
maxbasscat

Disco5 believe me I feel your pain. PM incoming
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #193084827th Mar 2018 7:00 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Helps with insurance claims Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #193085127th Mar 2018 7:12 pm
maxbasscat

^^ Agree too
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #193085227th Mar 2018 7:14 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've just had the police knocking on the door tonight asking if I had any CCTV footage from Saturday night/Sunday morning as a car was vandalised in the street and they are looking for footage.
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #193089127th Mar 2018 8:28 pm
33Lurcher

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Son just rung me , getting into his van this morning discovers passenger side window smashed , checked cctv and sure enough hooded man breaking into it at 1.45am .
Alarm activated and man runs off , due to distance/darkness can't see details of car which dropped him off other than it was cruising around estate 15 mins earlier .

Post #193092628th Mar 2018 6:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >