DISCO4.COM > General

Vehicle Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Vehicle Security

Following my near loss of my D3 over the weekend to theives, I have been looking into some additional security. I already have a Tracker fitted, but that will only be useful if some crook actually takes the vehicle.

I used to have a Citroen XM in the early 90's. It had a standard alarm system, but it had an ingenious keypad device in the centre console. The keypad was number 0-9. Everytime you wanted to start the vehicle, you had to enter a 4 digit pin number. I could set/unset/reset pin numbers. There was a big warning in the manual about forgetting the pin would need an new ECU. This system was factory fitted.

It was good because it meant that nobody could steal the car, even if they had the keys. Modern cars have transponders in the key that probably automatically send a code to the ecu to start. This is obviously more conveinient, but in my opinion is a retrograde step, as anyone with the key can start the car.

In my case, they broke into my house to steal the keys. If it had been my Citroen, they would have had no chance. It was only good luck and the incompetance of the theif that saved the Disco.

Does anyone know why such systems are not around anymore, and if pin numbers are good enough for our credit cards, then why not our cars?

Is such a system available for the D3 as an aftermarket fit?

Post #259820th Apr 2005 6:59 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - now we all know what the keypad on the radio is actually for Wink It certainly isn't for the dealer fit phone Twisted Evil Wonder what LR CS will do if you tell them you've found an undocumented security feature in the vehicle - no, I know the answer, they'll offer to remove it in the next software release Very Happy

Post #260820th Apr 2005 10:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think I have now worked out why the low life did not drive away.

They had the key, and unlocked the car. They sat in. They put the key in. For a quick getaway, they tried to select reverse (automaitic gearbox) before starting the engine. The gearlever is locked in Park until the ignition is on. So they must have switched on the ignition. However, once the lever was in reverse, the vehicle is inhibited from starting. As the car was in reverse, they could not remove the key.

I am pretty certain that when I found the key in the ignition, and turned the car on, the front PDC alarm went off because the car was nose in to the tree by my drive. This means that the park brake was off, as the PDC only works when it is off.

I think the PDC beeping rapidly everytime they turned the ignition on when in reverse scared them away, probably thinking it had some kind of fancy anti theft system, they left it leaving the door open and the key in with the car in reverse. This is how I found it.

Bl@@dy lucky I think Shocked

Post #261120th Apr 2005 10:40 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Gareth,

They're obviously not very experienced thieves (and hopefully will be caught before too long), I dont know of any automatic vehicles that will allow the engine to be started unless you're in Park or Neutral, this is a standard safety feature.

Simon

Post #261320th Apr 2005 11:22 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The problem seems to be no matter what you put in their way they will steal the car. Its so hard now that they break into your house to get the key or carjack you. To be honest Id far rather im safe and the cars gone than wake up with a knife to one of the kids throats with some low life asking me for the number. To avoid losing too much you can get gap insurance to cover the difference between new and the trade value.

How are you getting on with tracker, Im not sure which type to go with?

Post #265321st Apr 2005 7:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Tracker is fine. Everytime the Disco moves without the key, they phone me up!

The last time was when I took it on the Hawkshead ferry across lake Windermere. I took the keys out and locked it while I went to the front of the boat. The movement must have triggered it and they rang me within 2 minutes of departure to check that everything was OK.

Sadly my Mini did not have a Tracker. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Post #266021st Apr 2005 8:41 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Notwithstanding Cmyers' good advice about it sometimes being better to let the criminal get away rather than have him threaten your family, when I'm feeling particularly paranoid, I leave my vehicle in low ratio, hoping that any thief who does manage to start the vehicle will soon abandon it when he finds himself getting overtaken by milk floats.

Post #269822nd Apr 2005 10:05 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Good idea Nightfox- like that very much. On my old 1966 Land Rover, I put the overdrive in neutral, and then unscrew the lever and take it in the house!

Post #270222nd Apr 2005 10:12 am
cmyers_uk

I park on the drive and thought about putting a camera up on the house overlooking it. Probably a dummy one as a deterant. Gareth do you have a house alarm? I alarm the bottom of my house when I go to bed. Im Interested if they broke in even thought you had an alarm i.e the deterent did not work.

Regards

Chris

Post #275123rd Apr 2005 7:27 am
Ecosse

It is possible to get IP CCTV Cameras that connect to an adsl router and then work on a motion sensor basis (like PIR lights) and send an e-mail of pictures to your e-mail acount. Could be an effective & relatively cheap way of at least identifying the parties involved! Very Happy

Post #275323rd Apr 2005 7:31 am
BN

England 

Oh dear guys, I posted a reply earlier about a 110 that was stolen from my compound. If a thief is determined they will do anything. The 110 was covered by:

CCTV and low level night lights
Chained to the floor with a ground anchor
Steering locked with a seperate steering lock device
Security gates and a wall about 4 foot high
Normal alarm system

They cut the locks off lifted up the car and carried over the wall all 2 tonnes of it. They then bump started it because it was a diesel. Now I am not brave, so I did not go out and say, thats mine chaps, put it back, so I called the police and received an answerphone message.

It was later found by me in a travellers camp. The police did not want to know. Of course the vehicle was not worth recovering by then.

I now fit devices that even if I am highjacked, I can control the car from anywhere in the world and it costs less than tracker, which is again reliant on the police to find it. I can track and control my own car s now. I also fit smoke in my cars now. I am now quite sure that we have the ultimate control and have tested it on the police and it is approved by Thatcham.

Finally the video failed to display the time due to a technical error (must have been designed by Ford) so the police would not use the video.

Post #275423rd Apr 2005 8:37 am
Ecosse

Oh well, I suppose in the end of the day that is why we pay car insurance premiums Very Happy

Post #275523rd Apr 2005 9:03 am
cmyers_uk

Quite right BN, If they want it they will get it and as said in the previous post thats what insurance is for. Ive seen a documentary where tracker traced a stolen shogun to a traveller site and the plates were in the middle of being changed but the police wouldnt go in until they had backup. Then by the time they got in they couldnt catch a cold.

Post #275623rd Apr 2005 9:36 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My cars are on the drive at night. Both are always locked, and steering disclocs were fitted. I have the security light from hell that turns night into day. I did not have an alarm on the house. Or cameras.

An Alarm system goes in the house next week, probably going to get a CCtV system, as I am advised that they are an excellent deterent.

In the end, if a pro wants your car, he will get it. I made it easier for them by not protecting the keys in my house, and my house is fairly old with leaded windows and was not difficult to break into.

Its all about making it harder to steal, so they will go and nick someone else's motor that is easier to steal! Sorry guys and gals but its "look after number one time"

I now have a new hardwood side door, with no glass and an internal deadlocking system. My front door now has an anti burst frame, with a lock which would look good on the front door to Fort Knox. I have raided the window lock isle at B&Q and all my windows have double locks. I have screwed shut any windows that I do not open.

An important thing to bear in mind when upgrading the security, is fire safety. All these locks and things will make it harder for us to escape in the event of fire, so it is vital that we have an escape plan that involves hiding keys to open doors and windows if needed.

The words 'Stable' and 'Horse' and 'Bolted' and 'Door' all come to mind Crying or Very sad

Post #275923rd Apr 2005 5:33 pm
BN

England 

Ecosse wrote:
Oh well, I suppose in the end of the day that is why we pay car insurance premiums Very Happy

Ecosse, there is another problem of course with insurance. If you make a claim it is on your records for 6 years and held against you, which of course costs the innocent party, not the thief. The theif in this country cannot lose. Even if they are caught they basically get away with it, because they accept a spell in jail is part of the course and they are not bothered about 6 months for a car crime.

Post #276223rd Apr 2005 8:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >