Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Views on D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

^ A colleague has an eNiro and DS. I drove the eNiro the other day, it handled much better than I thought it would. I guess partly due to the low centre of gravity.

I liked it, despite the odd mix of low rent and luxury interior trimming. More importantly the lease deal is cracking vfm. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #220105111th Jan 2021 12:42 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The Discovery 3/4/5 and the RRS are (supposedly) the comparable cars - one with more seats and load space (D5) and the other tourer and cruising (RRS) - i think that's the comparator - the disco was always just behind the RR...remember when the running gear was the same. That said i never and still dont like the D3

The defender isnt as nice as the D5 - it might be similar D3/4, but i dont see them as comparable, its nice, but its the iteration of the original defender just jumping forward. I think they nailed an iteration of the defender still like the concept though (which is funny)

The d5 is great it is a discovery - but JLR missed a few tricks and im not sure why, i could even live with less square for a couple of tweaks.

At the end of the day we should all want JLR to do well and sell cars.
 Mike  
Post #220109511th Jan 2021 2:07 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

SN wrote:
I actually think the Velar does have a good place in the RR line up between the Evoque and the Sport as a stepping stone bridge up the RR aspirational ladder.

The Velar gets well in to RRS territory in terms of price so I'm not sure it's an aspirational stepping stone. If someone can afford a Velar then they can probably afford a RRS. More likely is the Velar is more like a tall 4wd estate car rather than an 4x4/SUV in some eyes. I'd love to know why people choose one over the other.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220110511th Jan 2021 2:46 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

mse wrote:
The Discovery 3/4/5 and the RRS are (supposedly) the comparable cars - one with more seats and load space (D5) and the other tourer and cruising (RRS) - i think that's the comparator - the disco was always just behind the RR...remember when the running gear was the same. That said i never and still dont like the D3

The RRS isn't in the same line up as the D5, nor was it previously even though it shared so much with the D3 originally. The RRS was always supposed to be a sporty Range Rover, not a sporty Discovery. It would have been called Discovery Sport if that was the case, after all Wink . The L494 is certainly a lot closer to the L405 FFRR than the D5 these days, that's for sure, and handles being thrown down a road much better than either of them.

But it's interesting how these positions in the line up blur across the range and people's ideas. Which makes one wonder whether LR haven't got their line up (or the marketing of it) quite right.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220110911th Jan 2021 3:02 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
SN wrote:
I actually think the Velar does have a good place in the RR line up between the Evoque and the Sport as a stepping stone bridge up the RR aspirational ladder.

The Velar gets well in to RRS territory in terms of price so I'm not sure it's an aspirational stepping stone. If someone can afford a Velar then they can probably afford a RRS. More likely is the Velar is more like a tall 4wd estate car rather than an 4x4/SUV in some eyes. I'd love to know why people choose one over the other.

I know a Velar owner, he bought one of the first available with a spec/colour that he found acceptable although it’s a diesel and he would have preferred a petrol.

Cost and aspirations had nothing to do with, he’s very wealthy, owns a McLaren as a fun car and has a two or three other cars as well, inc a load lugging Japanese 4X4.

He wanted the Velar as a comfy, well appointed, long distance cruiser. With the ability to carry a reasonable amount of luggage for two people and the few bits and pieces he might have when visiting other homes. Plus he wanted the reassurance of AWD.

The competition was Audi or Volvo AWD estates, not another LR model. He preferred the seating position in the Velar.

Post #220111911th Jan 2021 3:33 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT - as I said, the Velar is more akin to an AWD estate car.

I quite like the Velar, I like the look of it, mostly, and I liked the interior and seating position when I briefly drove one in Spain. It doesn't give the same "command" position of the full size LR products. Nor does it have the go anywhere, tow anything ability. But it's an excellent vehicle for someone who wants a long distance cruiser with space inside and enough ability to get around in bad conditions as your friend does. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #220116411th Jan 2021 5:25 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
mse wrote:

The RRS isn't in the same line up as the D5, nor was it previously even though it shared so much with the D3 originally. The RRS was always supposed to be a sporty Range Rover, not a sporty Discovery. It would have been called Discovery Sport if that was the case, after all Wink . The L494 is certainly a lot closer to the L405 FFRR than the D5 these days, that's for sure, and handles being thrown down a road much better than either of them.

But it's interesting how these positions in the line up blur across the range and people's ideas. Which makes one wonder whether LR haven't got their line up (or the marketing of it) quite right.

I dont agree - its not about the families (as they lined them up now) the RRS and Discovery were comparable Range Rover and Land Rover as it was then.

The changed direction from clear LR and RR then into these groups under the LR badge, RR/Discovery/Defender

You notice the difference between the RRE and DS - similar price the interior is very different with the rre feeling "more"

Defining the improved on road of the sport v the d5 is exactly the point, D5 has features the sport doesnt and vice versa

The discovery sport was about creating the family groups and moving the freelander into it

The other point is towing, only the RR, RRS, D5 and Defender will pull 3.5t the rest have different capacities

The velar is a bigger evoque essentially - but not the full deal of the RRS - i think its an odd one, i like it but not sure why they bothered with it
 Mike  
Post #220116911th Jan 2021 5:30 pm
J77

Scotland 

The Velar is an excellent long distance GT type car with great all terrain ability, reasonably spacious, it’s RWD biased it handles twisty back roads brilliantly.

RR Sport or RR Velar, it’s the Velar for me everytime.

I was almost tempted to cancel the Defender and take another Velar, thought about the PHEV.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #220117211th Jan 2021 5:33 pm
LT

RRSTDV8 wrote:

:

Hence my post in agreement with you. Thumbs Up

He wanted an AWD estate car, he could buy any or indeed every LR model if he chose to.

Post #220118811th Jan 2021 6:31 pm
LT

J77 wrote:
The Velar is an excellent long distance GT type car with great all terrain ability, reasonably spacious, it’s RWD biased it handles twisty back roads brilliantly.

RR Sport or RR Velar, it’s the Velar for me everytime.

I was almost tempted to cancel the Defender and take another Velar, thought about the PHEV.

The RRS would be for those who want better 4WD ability, a little more space and a higher vehicle.

IMO, only the new Defender and FFRR offer a similar "Command Driving Position" to that of the old D3/4. In the other models, inc. the D5, you sit lower down in the vehicle with the centre console noticeably higher and they have a high waistline and smaller glass area. It was very noticeable when getting out of the D5 after 7 months and back into FFRR.

Post #220119111th Jan 2021 6:37 pm
al cope

England 

As an awful lot of this thread seems to be knock the D5, shouldnt we have some balance here:

The way the FFRR looks with its number plate in the middle, looks like every other 4x4 out there, and dont get me started on the front - is it RRS, a Velar, what?? I wouldnt want to pay the big bucks and then folks not know what LR I had brought. And its a long as a D5 but you cant seat 7 in it - whats that about? Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Last edited by al cope on 12th Jan 2021 8:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #220128312th Jan 2021 8:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Ying and yang, the balance in the force is restored. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Now let’s get back to “discussing” the D5! Laughing Laughing Laughing Whistle

Post #220128912th Jan 2021 8:33 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:

:

Hence my post in agreement with you. Thumbs Up

He wanted an AWD estate car, he could buy any or indeed every LR model if he chose to.

We agree with each other? That'll never catch on in here! Bow down Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #220129112th Jan 2021 8:37 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Agreement and balance in the same thread? That’ll never catch on. Shocked Shocked

Snigger

Post #220129412th Jan 2021 8:50 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I think I just heard Martin faint. Laughing
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #220130212th Jan 2021 9:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >