Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Views on veganism
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Views on veganism

My daughter is taking part in a social experiment where she wears a t-shirt saying "GO VEGAN!" for two weeks, to see how people react.

So far she has been punched, spit on and a bottle thrown at her!

I'm not looking forward to seeing what happens when she leaves the house.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #226354722nd Nov 2021 6:25 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just think of the plus side, more of the billy goats for you. Whistle Whistle

Post #226354922nd Nov 2021 6:28 pm
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter probably more of the same treatment

Post #226355022nd Nov 2021 6:30 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Haha - good joke! Very Happy

There is nobody more evangelical than a convert; IMHO almost every vegan tells people they are vegan every time food is mentioned. So, they are disgusted by animal products - fair enough, but don't try and appear holier than thou to those who are not, nor go on and on and on and on about it. I've got lots of vegetarian friends who don't mention their vegetarianism and quietly order something veggy when we eat out - they don't have to tell the table, the waiters and the whole restaurant. It is unlikely that vegans are going to overthrow the government - they are probably all ill with scurvy and beri beri and too weak to get out of bed.

Joke to rant in a single step!

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226356822nd Nov 2021 7:29 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I’ve got a vegan, a veggie, a pescatarian and two meat eaters in the family. Mealtimes is interesting, but you get used to cooking for all tastes.

Guilty admission, I sometimes bung the veggie stuff in with the meat to cook. What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve for. Whistle

Post #226357022nd Nov 2021 7:38 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

A vegan said to me that people who sell meat are disgusting.

I said people who sell fruit and vegetables are grocer.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #226357922nd Nov 2021 8:20 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hehe, HWN Laughing

there’s a joke that really goes like this “how do you know someone is a vegetarian?” “Don’t worry, they’ll tell you” Laughing

The same joke goes just as well for “how do you know someone is an Apple user” Thumbs Up

Post #226358022nd Nov 2021 8:22 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

JordsDisco wrote:
Guilty admission, I sometimes bung the veggie stuff in with the meat to cook. What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve for. Whistle

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #226358122nd Nov 2021 8:22 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Give them Beef Tomatoes Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #226358722nd Nov 2021 9:00 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Don't eat figs - they contain DEAD WASPS !

Do please tell her thank she should not eat figs!!

Quote:
The way some varieties of fig are pollinated means every edible fruit of some fig varieties contain at least one dead wasp – so by eating a fig, you are eating a dead insect. So not vegan.

According to online natural history textbook Waynes Word, the wasp will enter the fig, passing into a part of the plant – known as the calimyrna – which she can’t lay her eggs in. Out of frustration, she wanders around, pollinating the flowers as she goes.

Eventually she dies from sheer exhaustion, and is broken down by a protein-digesting enzyme inside the fig."

Exclamation Exclamation

Post #226359022nd Nov 2021 9:22 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

As with so many things, the issue isn't that someone wants to be vegan - go for it , says I - but that they demand everyone else does so too.

And yes, I saw the joke in the OP. But it still annoys me.

I eat non-meat dishes (can't say they're vegan as I don't spend the time checking the details) but also eat mucho-meat at other times. It's called balance. Or, scientifically, omnivorism. It's what humans have evolved to be.

Think various thoughts, make various things, eat various things.

It's also always worth pointing out to vegans that many of the things they eat are actually alive when they eat them - seeds, nuts, fruit (although it's the seed that's the life in fruit), quite a few vegetables - take a spud and stick it in the ground and what happens? A spud plant grows - it's alive. Most meaty stuff has been dead a while when eaten.

The issue isn't that vegans don't like killing things, it's that they don't like eating stuff with faces. And having been in a number of less salubrious night clubs back in the day, I have some sympathy.... Whistle
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226360322nd Nov 2021 10:36 pm
J77

Scotland 

No face on this lot

Click image to enlarge

Unlike this

Laughing
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #226361222nd Nov 2021 11:47 pm
will.i.am

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3

tbh i think its a load of Censored - why is there now VJC CHicken, plant based burgers and bacon - why copy meat? - why do they have to advertise and sell as meat shaped stuff made from plants??....

If you were a genuine vegan surely you would be happy with vegetables cooked excactly as they are.

Post #226364723rd Nov 2021 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The "vegan chicken" and "vegan beef burgers" are an attempt to get meat eaters to eat vegan stuff. "You can eat a burger without killing a cow!" basically. It's diversionary marketing.

One of the things that annoys me is that I've heard vegans saying that you can get everything you need from a vegan diet but you can't unless some of the food is fortified - particularly where vitamins B12 and D are concerned. If veganism was the natural state for humans, we wouldn't need to fortify vegan foods with essential vitamins etc. Yes, modern processed foods are often fortified e.g. white bread, breakfast cereals, etc., but that is a result of the processing taking out the good stuff. Bread made with whole grains doesn't need to be fortified because it's got enough of the good stuff in it already. But even wholemeal bread wont give you vitamin B12.

I can sympathise with some of the ethical concerns raised by those in favour of vegetarian/vegan diets. Some of the factory farming techniques should be simply outlawed on animal welfare grounds.

I think the best diet for people is a balanced one - some meat with plenty of veg, wholegrains, etc. Most people would benefit from that along with smaller portion sizes (and I say that as a big eater who does need to lose some weight Embarassed ).
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226365823rd Nov 2021 10:32 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

my eldest is loving the trend to offer vegan food everywhere. Like me he's a near carnivore BUT has a severe case of lactose intolerance ... proper vegan food contains zero dairy so he's happily getting e.g. the vegan pizza offering but then getting heaps of meat toppings put on it Laughing

He's also been able to have desserts for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Post #226368123rd Nov 2021 12:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >