Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Voice Activation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
hgrees

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Voice Activation

Could someone help me with a slightly confusing issue.
I have just taken delivery of an '06 TDV6 SE Auto.
It has standard SatNav fitted and not the upgraded option with Off Road Navigation. It also has the Telephone option fitted as an extra factory option.
My question is my voice activation recognises phone commands and voice help but nothing for the SatNav, Radio or CD.
My dealer says that it should work and is learningto recognise my voice. Alternatively they have suggested resetting the voice control unit.
Could anyone who has an SE tell me if their voice activation units work correctly or is it only an option on the HSE with the upgraded SatNav and Logic 7 Radio/CD unit.
Apparently this is a problem that Land Rover are aware of but I'm not sure if mine is faulty or just not supposed to work.

Many thanks

Huw

Post #309022nd Dec 2005 6:56 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi hgreese

1st of all welcome to the site, now regars your voice activation this i think you will find is faulty as are many others. mine has been into the dealer 6 times now and still it is not fixed.

if you do a search on the site for voice activation you will find the comments made, please do not let the dealer fob you off it is not trying to learn your voice it is FAULTY report it and get them to fix it (if they can)

keep in touch and let us all know how you get on

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #309703rd Dec 2005 3:15 pm
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have the same spec car as you and I have the EXACT same problem as you. I contacted Shawn directly and sought his advice ( thanks Shawn). I will be pressing for LR to rectify the problem. I'll keep the forum advised of my progress.
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #310163rd Dec 2005 8:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

afp001 wrote:
I have the same spec car as you and I have the EXACT same problem as you. I contacted Shawn directly and sought his advice ( thanks Shawn). I will be pressing for LR to rectify the problem. I'll keep the forum advised of my progress.

Lets hope we can all get together so we can press LR into a response over the Pre Heat Timer.

And good luck with getting yer voice activation working.

-s

Post #310323rd Dec 2005 9:25 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Sorry guys,

Just looked this up in my Discovery 3 product directory and the voice control for the sat nav is only available with the enhanced version.

Unfair that Japan get a tv system as well! wonder if its possible to get the bits for this.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #310423rd Dec 2005 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Product Directory is a dealer only thing though (though a good read Very Happy ), so if the handbook and published specs say standard nav has voice control then that's what it should have
 The End  
Post #310443rd Dec 2005 10:57 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

WOODY179 wrote:
Sorry guys,

Just looked this up in my Discovery 3 product directory and the voice control for the sat nav is only available with the enhanced version.
[snip]
Unfair that Japan get a tv system as well! wonder if its possible to get the bits for this.

As per Slimer's observation about appearance in the Product Directory, I was under the impression that voice control of the sat nav and entertainment system was a feature of the top range systems only. The voice control buttons are there only because you have the factory PTI. I have it (the buttons and the PTI) in my 'S' and have only ever got the telephone commands to work, no matter what accent or inflexion I use. Naturally, if the Product Directory supports your view, I'll be behind you at the dealers having a go!
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #310494th Dec 2005 12:15 am
shawn

sorry guys but i have a SE spec and my nav voice control now works fine but phone needs attention and dealer is investigating again next week.

i have only got standard sat nav and factory phone but my dealer says it should all work via voice control on standard sat nav system and this is what they are trying to sort for me.

my manual also lists all the commands for the sat nav, cd player, radio and phone systems

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #310524th Dec 2005 1:47 am
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Does this mean that the standard system does not even get dynamic rerouting? - even the most basic handhelds get this.

Post #310544th Dec 2005 9:03 am
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

During the 1 1/2 hour demo of the car on the day of collection, the salesman although he tried could not get the voice activation to work. However, dynamic re-routing DOES work. On the weird roads where I live the system tries to take me on a 2 mile detour to my house. When I take my route of choice the system instantly comes up with a new route. Again, when I collected the car I asked about TMC and was told that this feature was only on the premium system.
Had I read in any of the sales brochures that voice activation was limited to the premium system I would have seriously considered buying it.
There appears to be a good deal of confusion here. Surely, there should be a definitive guide for the customer, and not restricted reading for LR dealers.
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #310584th Dec 2005 10:39 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The Dynamic Rerouting referenced relates to the rerouting linked to TMC. It is only available with the Premium Navigation. In the event of a road closure, hold up, etc. it offers you a detour, which you can then accept or reject, depending upon your mood at the time.

The Premium Navigation provides the following additional options when compared to the Standard Navigation: TMC, 4x4 Information and Voice Control.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you have the PTI fitted, then you also have elements of Voice Control linked to that module. With the Premium Navigation, the voice control software is in the navigation computer; with PTI only it is in the Telephone Module.

If you have the S model, without PTI, then as far as I am aware, you don't get voice control, and the same would apply to the SE. That was the situation at the time I ordered mine, which is why I ordered the Premium Navigation option.

Since then, Land Rover may have changed the specifications, but if they haven't, and you only have Standard Navigation and no PTI, you won't get the voice control. And, for the sake of clarity, I am talking about voice control of the vehicle systems, not the directions the nice lady or gentleman gives you when providing navigation guidance.

Post #310614th Dec 2005 11:30 am
shawn

i have SE spec 55 plate tdv6 with factory phone kit, i do not have the display when i am off road showing the axles etc but i do have voice activation that works the phone, sat nav,cd player and the radio.it all works now about 80% after 6 visists to the dealer who has been great. the only thing they need to sort out now is the phone and it will be 100% working.i also have the re-routing option if a road was closed etc and this also works perfect

shawn
Post #310634th Dec 2005 11:58 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Dynamic routing is only available with TMC - the dynamic routing button is on the TMC control panel. Also, you don't know if a road is closed unless you have TMC......

It isn't clear to me what you have and don't have now.

If you mean that the navigation automatically recalculates your route if you turn off the calculated route, that is not dynamic rerouting.

Post #310644th Dec 2005 12:09 pm
shawn

Winger wrote:
Dynamic routing is only available with TMC - the dynamic routing button is on the TMC control panel. Also, you don't know if a road is closed unless you have TMC......

If you mean that the navigation automatically recalculates your route if you turn off the calculated route, that is not dynamic rerouting.

not sure myself now i will check later and report back Confused

shawn
Post #310654th Dec 2005 12:54 pm
shawn

shawn wrote:
Winger wrote:

not sure myself now i will check later and report back Confused

shawn

right i am not exactly sure what dynamic routing is but i have just got in from a journey and been playing with the voice control set a destination via voice control and then half way through the journey gave the command navigation detour as though road ahead was shut and it re-routed me to the next quickest route is this what you mean Confused

shawn
Post #310804th Dec 2005 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >