Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Vote Debate - was WHAT'S GONE WRONG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
jumblemo

BN - I have lots of respect for you and your desire to fully work out your analysis before sharing it. I also respect your enormous, full-time, contribution to this board.

But all we ask is that if you intend to withhold the info, please stop hinting that you are doing so.

This is a forum where regulars will happily help dissect and contribute to your process to improve your analysis.

This is a forum where all are equal, interested, and adult (I believe). You would not be 'releasing info to the public,' but rather; 'sharing your hypotheses for group interaction.

No more teasers please.
 D3 Bonatti Grey TDV6
1942 Crusader Mk III with 6lbr 

Post #158233rd Sep 2005 5:47 pm
BN

England 
Re: Put Up 2

mwestcrew wrote:
Frankly BN your response to my post makes it appear that you only read one line in three of my original post.

I will answer this question by question

There is one question in the original and I will ask it again so that the NON-Senior members such as myself understand completely: What do you hope to acheive from collating the data supplied from the forum members???

Please ask the web master who has the answer to that.

Some of the problems experienced by members are un-related to software issues: Paint for example, how can you reliably use any result from such a small sample

Call scorpio as he can assist, with that, but then why should I have told you who to contact ?

Who are the Senior Members and why are they Senior to me or anyone else. Did they pay more for their Disco 3. Maybe I could join the elite.

I don't think so, it requires a lot of dedication and time and giving.

I've got more Land Rovers than you, does that do it?

Do you, I have 35x110's, 2x90's 1 Tatra 6x6 several 4x4 Suzuki's 2xD3 and a lot of others. How many do you have talking about facts to be presented?

I belong to two Land Rover clubs one of which I am on the committee of. Is that qualification enough? I do at least 6 weeks off road driving a year always in LR products

Is that all, I have lived in Landy's for about 25 years as a job and still love them, don't need to be a member of a club to go off raod in the Sahara for months or the Siberian Permafrost as I have

and I'm a BORDA trained driver. The answer is No none of the above makes me any different from any other Disco 3 owner who logs on to have a better time with his car, whether through sorting problems sourcing clever enhancements or just conversing with like minded people who appreciate a great car.

I agree with your last paragraph, but I have every licence available nearly, from a car to a plane to LR's levels etc an ADI for cars, trucks and buses and a lot more.

Come on guys keep it normal....my glass is always half full and when I set off in my big black baby to blast across France and Germany a couple of weeks ago I didn't spend the whole time waiting for the dreaded bong. I just stuck in my foot, turned on the climate control, cranked up the brilliant stereo and ENJOYED!

Yes, I agree and normally I am perfectly reasonable, but to people who contribute, not complain. We have worked hard together for free to help many on this site. The site is not a club, you cannot pay to join and all information is gained and given voluntarily. If I chose not to give information, it is for a very very good reason

Post #158243rd Sep 2005 5:48 pm
BN

England 

jumblemo wrote:
BN - I have lots of respect for you and your desire to fully work out your analysis before sharing it. I also respect your enormous, full-time, contribution to this board.

But all we ask is that if you intend to withhold the info, please stop hinting that you are doing so.

This is a forum where regulars will happily help dissect and contribute to your process to improve your analysis.

This is a forum where all are equal, interested, and adult (I believe). You would not be 'releasing info to the public,' but rather; 'sharing your hypotheses for group interaction.

No more teasers please.

Jumblemo we all get things wrong sometimes. The greatest asset is that this site is a brilliant site run by a young man with more logic and common sense than I had at his age. I am certainly not going to wreck anything he has done, but I have worked with him to try to get answers to some very difficult questions.

We cannot announce publically much of it at the moment and we have our very good reasons. Just please try to understand that.

I have worked in a very hard environment most of my life with some of the toughest men on earth and am not really a PR guy, so please take me as I am, absolutely down to earth and John Blunt.

Maybe we can get on with sorting out the excellent points that this fantastic vehicle has. Even better maybe you would like to join us in the next group off road and really see what a fantastic group of guys are involved.

By the way, once I have bitten ahead off I have no grudge afterwards.

Post #158303rd Sep 2005 7:15 pm
BravoOne

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

To Everybody.

I am not a regular 'poster' at the moment, but I have what most of the people on this site, one of the most enjoyable and technical cars around, a Disco 3.

The other thing we have in common is free speech, and everybody has their right to question other things, I think this survey has started a major battle between people, and it should not be so, we are all in our own ways trying to share (and sometime withold) information about our experiences.

I am one ot the 'no problem' people but I have privately PMed BN about a problem which I believe I made myself, I still stand with my 'No Problem' desicision, and that is MY choice.

Come on lets all get back to what this site was intended for to share our experiences about our Discos.

My rant is now over.....this is still a great site and I still drive a GREAT CAR!!! [even if there are aparently problems with it]

Last edited by BravoOne on 3rd Sep 2005 8:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #158333rd Sep 2005 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

BravoOne wrote:
To Everybody.

I am not a regular 'poster' at the moment, but I have what most of the people on this site, one of the most enjoyable and technical cars around, a Disco 3.

The other thing we have in common is free speech, and everybody has their right to question other things, I think this survey has started a major barttle between people, and it should not be so, we are all in our own ways trying to share (and sometime withold) information about our experiences.

I am one ot the 'no problem' people but I have privately PMed BN about a problem which I believe I made myself, I still standon my 'No Problem' desicision, and that is MY choice.

Come on lets all get back to what this site was intended for to share our experiences about our Discos.

My rant is now over.....this is still a great site and I still drive a GREAT CAR!!! [even if there are aparently problems with it]

BravoOne, very true and I for one forget things once done and finished. I am not a type to hold onto petty things. We are certainly here to help each other and that is exactly what is happening. The car is fantastic and has proven its self off road for me. So I have a couple of niggles on a couple of my cars, but we will get there. At least one is half alive again today.

Post #158343rd Sep 2005 8:54 pm
cunningi

BN, 3 posts I may have but I do have 9 months working on 2 of the ASIC designs that have gone into LR3. Reason for not posting this before is that this like every other forum in the world seems to have developed a small clique that is very offputting to others. Although I must say its nothing like vwvortex where I was once a member in my 'cough' younger years. I also don't want a barage of questions about the Disco3 systems, we were not given a detailed description of where the designs would end up but simply a product specification and I don't want to take this offline.

One of the ASICs is used in a signal management situation and operates at around 450MHz (although this is temperature dependant). Throughout the product profiling and qualifcation stage we run tests called shmoo tests along with environmental tests (temp, shock etc for automotive applications). These simply put vary one parameter against another and look at the performance of the product (imagine going from low y - high y and low x - high x on a chart going through every possible combination). It provides a very good way to get a full characterisation of the part. As with all of these products we always experience failures and latchups at extremes of parameters and yes, the LR3 device was no different. Most of these failures occurred during voltage transitions, I cannot help but wonder whether the problems experienced with suspension failures and warning lights etc that then reset themselves under a restart are maybe related to the draw from the large number of electronics within the car and a problem with voltage regulation. It is quite feasible that the device is latched and cannot get out of that condition, resulting in partial communication failure. The final design (whilst I was still working on it, I work for myself as a contract engineer and have since moved on to other products- although none with quite the same draw as the LR3 stuff!) had additional caps added to help provide additional current source during a transtition.

The other device is whats known as a 'housekeeping' device and is very simply put a power management control product. This was an almost 'off the shelf' design and no problems were encountered. The design is also used by 2 of the German car makers too, so I cannot see a problem there.

As far as the small indication building to big failure in future I can only see this being a problem if it is purely software related. Which if it is should be easy to fix.

My own D3 now has 11.5k on it and no problems to date, it just completed an almost non stop journey back from Slovenia with an average mpg of 31. Thank goodness for proplus, redbull and icy cold aircon!. When I've got some time I'll pull some panels off an have a good look at whas going on with the electrics in the car. Its nice to know how it all works should it go wrong! (and being a LR sure it will at somepoint )

BN, my apologies for my comments earlier, I find it difficult to see where taken things offline helps anyone but I should have restrained myself from airing my comments in public.

Post #158644th Sep 2005 1:46 am
BN

England 

cunningi wrote:
BN, 3 posts I may have but I do have 9 months working on 2 of the ASIC designs that have gone into LR3. Reason for not posting this before is that this like every other forum in the world seems to have developed a small clique that is very offputting to others. Although I must say its nothing like vwvortex where I was once a member in my 'cough' younger years. I also don't want a barage of questions about the Disco3 systems, we were not given a detailed description of where the designs would end up but simply a product specification and I don't want to take this offline.

One of the ASICs is used in a signal management situation and operates at around 450MHz (although this is temperature dependant). Throughout the product profiling and qualifcation stage we run tests called shmoo tests along with environmental tests (temp, shock etc for automotive applications). These simply put vary one parameter against another and look at the performance of the product (imagine going from low y - high y and low x - high x on a chart going through every possible combination). It provides a very good way to get a full characterisation of the part. As with all of these products we always experience failures and latchups at extremes of parameters and yes, the LR3 device was no different. Most of these failures occurred during voltage transitions, I cannot help but wonder whether the problems experienced with suspension failures and warning lights etc that then reset themselves under a restart are maybe related to the draw from the large number of electronics within the car and a problem with voltage regulation. It is quite feasible that the device is latched and cannot get out of that condition, resulting in partial communication failure. The final design (whilst I was still working on it, I work for myself as a contract engineer and have since moved on to other products- although none with quite the same draw as the LR3 stuff!) had additional caps added to help provide additional current source during a transtition.

The other device is whats known as a 'housekeeping' device and is very simply put a power management control product. This was an almost 'off the shelf' design and no problems were encountered. The design is also used by 2 of the German car makers too, so I cannot see a problem there.

As far as the small indication building to big failure in future I can only see this being a problem if it is purely software related. Which if it is should be easy to fix.

My own D3 now has 11.5k on it and no problems to date, it just completed an almost non stop journey back from Slovenia with an average mpg of 31. Thank goodness for proplus, redbull and icy cold aircon!. When I've got some time I'll pull some panels off an have a good look at whas going on with the electrics in the car. Its nice to know how it all works should it go wrong! (and being a LR sure it will at somepoint )

BN, my apologies for my comments earlier, I find it difficult to see where taken things offline helps anyone but I should have restrained myself from airing my comments in public.

cunningi, we all make mistakes, that is what maketh the man.

The most important point is that you like many others on this site have a wealth of knowledge and skills as seen from your post to which I am replying. If pooled as we have been trying to do it could not only help ourselves but LR.

Helping to run a voluntary forum is both fun and frustrating because we know what we want to achieve, but often is hard to get even a simple answer, as the poll showed. It does not mean people are not interested I know that. The majority of people on this site are highly motivated business men, so tempers can get frayed, most of us are used to running business and looking after staff and that is not an easy task now.

To get onto a brighter note, please work with us and trust that the small group of people involved on this site, lead by Martin are all great people and equally the D3 - LR3 is a fantastic car, but it does have its problems, then so do many other makes. This site appears to attract real D3 fans who just want to use their D3 for every purpose and they appear to be all passionate about the car.

Lets work together and see if we can get the niggles sorted and keep the car at the top of the polls as it is. Very Happy

Post #158684th Sep 2005 8:39 am
Pelyma

England 

Tremendous news harmony restored. That's why I like this site so much, people are big enough to put their egos to one side to work for the good of all.

And as I had a panick call from my father at midnight, " I've got a suspension error!" the quicker we can resolve it all the better Wink A restart cleared it, but I guess he should get it to the dealer.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #158704th Sep 2005 8:47 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
Tremendous news harmony restored. That's why I like this site so much, people are big enough to put their egos to one side to work for the good of all.

Phew, glad you can all make up. I can see everyones point of view here, and respect you all.

My son reads this with me, so please could my fellow forum members refrain from forum bad language - even with the **** to hide. The context is still visible, and I don't want my son to see that. There really is no need.

Thanks and lets all go and enjoy this beautiful Sunday.

Post #158734th Sep 2005 9:00 am
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:

And as I had a panick call from my father at midnight, " I've got a suspension error!" the quicker we can resolve it all the better Wink A restart cleared it, but I guess he should get it to the dealer.

I think most people on this site are highly intellegent people and that is why we are like we are, sometimes volotile. Often to express a feeling is better than bottling it up. There will be other little disagreements on occassions no doubt.

Re your fathers car, for once Pelyma don't rush to the dealer. See how it goes for a few days or if you can , if no reocurrance it may have been just a hiccup. Obviously if the car does show another error, then to the dealer.

It is the parking brake error that intersts me most at the moment.

Post #158754th Sep 2005 9:02 am
Pelyma

England 

Looks like it is going Mad They got the suspension will raise when system cools - exactly what I got when my compressor went Crying or Very sad

FYI car has done about 3500 trouble free miles. No warning lights have shown until last night (Dads birthday) None are showing now. He's had a great birthday, starts with a blooming great tax demand and ends with this Big Cry
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #159064th Sep 2005 12:29 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
My son reads this with me, so please could my fellow forum members refrain from forum bad language - even with the **** to hide. The context is still visible, and I don't want my son to see that. There really is no need.

I second that, use Censored if you feel the need
 The End  
Post #159074th Sep 2005 1:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >