Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Vote Debate - was WHAT'S GONE WRONG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jumblemo

BN:
Quote:
I have a lot of info, but at this point not going to make it public.

Don't be like that BN, the point of a forum for enthusiasts is to share info. Not to start holding back like a manufacturer PR man. Care and share bro.
 D3 Bonatti Grey TDV6
1942 Crusader Mk III with 6lbr 

Post #157443rd Sep 2005 12:09 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Well Said

I have to say I totally agree with Jumblemo on this. There seems to be loads of information that is not being made freely available to the forum. If anyone has info that they are not prepared to share then keep it to yourself, maybe personal mail those that you deem worthy to share in the inner sanctum of knowledge, but don't mention it in the forum as some kind of tease. I've got problems with my car for which I hope there will be fixes, if they come from outside Disco3 I will pass them on without fear of repercussions or problems of any sort. Put up or shut up!
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #157573rd Sep 2005 12:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

The info I have collected has to be substantiated and to most would not make sense at this point, some of it does not to me yet. If it is all put together and presented professionally and there are people on this site who do understand and can help me with it, we can possibly get some results to improve some things.

It has taken me hours and hours of work to get eventually just under 3/4 of you to give me a broad idea of what is going on in the cars. I am not going to risk all that work just to make a public comment that may not be correct at this point. My views and points have been expressed to the members on this site who I think can be of great help, which of course includes Martin. I also have spoken to Martin and other members on the telephone at great length about the problems.

This is done voluntarily, without pay and in the interest of you all. I am not going to give out unsubstantiated information on a public domain. Most other sites to gain the information I and other are gathering, you would have to pay for as well.

I challenge mwestcrew and jumblemo to set up another vote to establish exactly whether the no problem people really have had no problems, because already I have received a few pm's from some of them saying in fact they have seen at least a parking brake error warning. This I think is an indication of future failure.

All you both have to do is setup the vote by liaising with each other, with the relevant questions that you want to supply the vital and accurate information from. It can then be placed in the pot of information we are collecting.

Maybe you are unaware that Martin and I discussed a survey and Martin actually attempted to get the details completed by you all. He only received about 15 replies and it was a very well and professional constructed survey that must have taken hours to prepare and send out. We cannot do much with 15 replies, so we have to improve on it and consolidate the data.

mwestcrew and jumblemo your help will be appreciated (and jumblemo has set up a survey which is a good one) and as I said, I do need detailed data now from the 'No problem' owners. You can then make that info pubic if you wish of course. But of course you are members of this forum, so you can at any time conduct your own research and place it into our pot of knowledge. I look forward to your contributions.

Post #157773rd Sep 2005 8:14 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Funny...

I do have some problems (Suspension going in default mode regularly now and Cruise control refusing work after a while...) but I have yet to see a parking brake error warning light...

Does that mean the computer could fail in different ways ?

Anyway, thank you again Brian for the work that you put in... Wink Kudos !

Post #157793rd Sep 2005 8:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Gurvan wrote:
Funny...

I do have some problems (Suspension going in default mode regularly now and Cruise control refusing work after a while...) but I have yet to see a parking brake error warning light...

Does that mean the computer could fail in different ways ?

Anyway, thank you again Brian for the work that you put in... Wink Kudos !

Gurvan, I tend to be far too abrupt, perhaps it is working in the harsh and often cruel world of reality I have for the last number of years as a business man and survivor in some amasing countries. But the fact is, yes you appear to have a terminal fault developing and it sounds just like my S D3.

Get it to the dealer ASAP.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Post #157803rd Sep 2005 8:24 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Gurvan, I tend to be far too abrupt, perhaps it is working in the harsh and often cruel world of reality I have for the last number of years as a business man and survivor in some amasing countries. But the fact is, yes you appear to have a terminal fault developing and it sounds just like my S D3.

Get it to the dealer ASAP.

No worries Mate ! (I always liked that one which took me hours to understand when I had an aussi saying that to me the first time !)

The rendez-vous at the dealership is in the planning anyway... They had forgotten to put in the front PDC which I have ordered and paid ! Wink

I still LOVE that car anyway...

Post #157813rd Sep 2005 8:28 am
mwestcrew

Put Up...

BN, You've totally missed the point. I don't dispute any of the survey results or their validity. It is not that important to me and I suspect many others to discover how many of the "No Faults" have seen Park Brake Warnings. How is this relevant to helping members of the forum gain a better experience from their Discovery 3.

This is not the first instance of knowledge "teasers" being posted there was also the matter of the master re-set that was being bandied around but not made public for whatever reason.

I think I speak for some others when I say that our reason for using this forum is to exchange information, mostly technical, to improve the way we can use an already great car. Any info that I've gleaned from either dealer or Road Side assistance I've tried to pass on, as have many others. Take for example the guy who posted a method for getting DVD video on the front screen. He wasn't in the least bit worried about the consequences of this he just got on, shared the info, and carried on enjoying his car.

You seem to have embarked on some evangelical mission to discover all the faults that forum members have experienced, even to the point of PM-ing members and badgering them to vote. To what end???

What is this data to be used for? An organised rejection of vehicles?

As I've said before mine's a great car.I have to literally resort to hiding the keys so that others in my company can't take it . Sure I've had a few niggles and the transit mode fix from this forum helped me a great deal, but I'm not into fifth column activities against LR.

Keep the info "teases" out the forum, don't mention stuff that you have no intention of sharing, and people will think a lot better of you.

We've all seen the website of the guy who completely lost it with his car, that didn't exactly make balanced, well reasoned reading did it? Let's not go down that route.
Post #157863rd Sep 2005 9:32 am
cunningi

Re: Put Up...

mwestcrew wrote:
BN, You've totally missed the point.

Point put perfectly. The members of this forum are by no means representative of the disco3 owners beyond the web. Did it ever occur to you (BN) that a number of members probably joined the forum when they experienced problems and were looking for solutions or advice? We most probably have a higher number of problematic cars because of that fact, the poll is therefore useless.

When this forum first started, it was full of informative information and was friendly. I even got used to you're little teasers of information "I'm getting this problem sorted but can't tell you because they are high up in LR" pardon me, but what the F**K. I would love to know how many people of stopped reading this forum because of you (maybe that would be a better idea for a poll?) I stopped reading this forum when I read your comments about the chap who was putting the Kahn wheels on his car. Who do you think you are to be telling people what to do?

BN, stop massaging your ego and start thinking before posting.

Post #157883rd Sep 2005 10:32 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've split this out from the main problem vote topic as it was starting to become "let's question what BN's doing"
If you're not happy with Brians 'methods' you are welcome to discuss them and I'm positive Brian will happily join in and try and explain. If you think he's withholding facts then fair enough but please consider that maybe Brian doesn't have all the facts yet himself and doesn't want to make public what he does know until he has the whole story for fear of sending people 'barking up the wrong tree'

Anyway, discuss away, but please don't turn this into a slanging match
Very Happy

Cheers
Si
 The End  
Post #157893rd Sep 2005 10:50 am
BN

England 

No fear of that Slimer, I have enough justification to answer in other ways. First though as always with me, if I have taken the post wrong, I sincerely apologise. I have also issued a lot of information on the site to the benefit of many, well before I had any problems with my car. I also have extremely valuable contact within LR as the senior members know, one of whom some have now met. I need to get my facts right before offering anything publically re the D3 for all our benefit. If it is wrong, my contacts would not give information again.

But let us get on with the debate about why I will not release some info.

Today I received more pm's from people who voted no problems. However one more guy HAS a problem even though he voted No, so that makes 8 out of the 22 no problem cars with a problem. Therefore the data I have collected so far is now being changed, it cannot be released as it would possibly be wrong.

Who would want incorrect information.

But work out the vote and what does it tell you. Then deduct 8 from the No Problems section and add to the problems section. Any mathematicians out there will find the car has far more problems than no problems and they appear to be predominantly software related, even the suspension in the main and the cruise control and the new low coolant warning, all software related. I did not want to spell it out, the vote was a clue to you all.

Yes I have other data and some of it has to be verified before it is released. Some can be released and one valuable item is that: If you have any visible error (usually a dashboard light) YOU WILL get a problem sooner or later, so watch your dashboard.

For example I have just rushed over to collect my car after an early call from the dealer saying it is fixed and all the latest software installed, instructions direct from LR Tech, they said. Latest software V10 installed, now I haven't got a clue what version LR are upto, so it may be invalid information, but that is what I was told.

What the dealer had not done apparently (according to LR Tec) was to totally discharge the car by shorting out certain components. So the Dealer sparks followed their instructions to the letter. I don't think he totally agreed with them? The software loaded fine, hence their glee.

I drove exactly 17.5 miles down the road and the car is broken again with the same defect. Now I have a feeling that I know what the actual problem is and I think winger may also know, but I cannot release it yet because I cannot prove my case YET, be patient, we are all in the same boat.

You may also recall we had a reset procedure and it was decided by the senior members on this site, NOT to release the method as it could lead to maybe some danger if reset incorrectly because the setting procedure was not adhered to accurately or was in fact wrong. I can release all of that now. But I would bet Martin as an excellent web master along with Slimer as co web master would delete it as soon as they see it. I would be very disappointed if they didn't as well.

Please guys, sometimes read between the lines as I have alreadt said, we are trying to help you guys without spelling it out word by word.

Post #158053rd Sep 2005 2:56 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think this is perhaps a case of understanding the way people work.Some post stuff as gospel that is a load of BS. From my experience of BN (and I only know him through here) he is a very thorough (perfectionist??) that will only tell you things when he knows for certain. He will tell you he is working on certain items such as FBH, wiring loom, seats etc and one by one when there is a definate answer he will post his results. There is no tease, but I can understand why some might feel there is. Please don't take this personally just be patient Very Happy
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #158143rd Sep 2005 4:12 pm
BN

England 

cunningi wrote:
mwestcrew wrote:

Point put perfectly. The members of this forum are by no means representative of the disco3 owners beyond the web. Did it ever occur to you (BN) that a number of members probably joined the forum when they experienced problems and were looking for solutions or advice? We most probably have a higher number of problematic cars because of that fact, the poll is therefore useless.

When this forum first started, it was full of informative information and was friendly. I even got used to you're little teasers of information "I'm getting this problem sorted but can't tell you because they are high up in LR" pardon me, but what the F**K. I would love to know how many people of stopped reading this forum because of you (maybe that would be a better idea for a poll?) I stopped reading this forum when I read your comments about the chap who was putting the Kahn wheels on his car. Who do you think you are to be telling people what to do?

Post #158183rd Sep 2005 4:48 pm
mwestcrew

Put Up 2

Frankly BN your response to my post makes it appear that you only read one line in three of my original post.

There is one question in the original and I will ask it again so that the NON-Senior members such as myself understand completely: What do you hope to acheive from collating the data supplied from the forum members???

Some of the problems experienced by members are un-related to software issues: Paint for example, how can you reliably use any result from such a small sample

Who are the Senior Members and why are they Senior to me or anyone else. Did they pay more for their Disco 3. Maybe I could join the elite. I've got more Land Rovers than you, does that do it? I belong to two Land Rover clubs one of which I am on the committee of. Is that qualification enough? I do at least 6 weeks off road driving a year always in LR products and I'm a BORDA trained driver. The answer is No none of the above makes me any different from any other Disco 3 owner who logs on to have a better time with his car, whether through sorting problems sourcing clever enhancements or just conversing with like minded people who appreciate a great car.

Come on guys keep it normal....my glass is always half full and when I set off in my big black baby to blast across France and Germany a couple of weeks ago I didn't spend the whole time waiting for the dreaded bong. I just stuck in my foot, turned on the climate control, cranked up the brilliant stereo and ENJOYED!
Post #158193rd Sep 2005 4:49 pm
mwestcrew

Reply to cunningi

Really you said what I have been holding back: What The F**K!!!!

You summed it up completely.
Post #158203rd Sep 2005 4:52 pm
BN

England 

cunningi wrote:
mwestcrew wrote:

cunningi, your comments are not even worth answering, but I will. I see you have made 3 posts in total, one of which is to criticise. I have made over 3000, mostly to assist others, in which time I have not always agreed with everyone, but I respect them, especially freeflytim and scorpio and the brilliantly solid team behind this site, you have not had the priviledge to meet, I have.

Furthermore I cannot see any contribution by you either. Please carry out a vote if you wish. As for ego, no sir, I do not have ego and if you knew my past you would be sick on your own words. Too strong for you, well don't criticise unless you can qualify your words sir. Good day, do not waste mine or the sites time and that applies to mwestcrew with 15 posts again, they don't appear to be too helpful to members..

Post #158213rd Sep 2005 5:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >