Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct lost to Motor Easy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
swansty
 


Member Since: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 684

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Ah ok, im getting offered WD ExtraCare which seems to be directly comparable to ME Plan B. Suspension is a pretty big area not to have cover for IMO, unless you already have most of it replaced in previous years.
  
Post #184031524th Jul 2017 11:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
alfamale
 


Member Since: 25 Jul 2011
Location: Stroud, Gloucestershire
Posts: 2067

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Front arms and bushes done April 2016 and again in April 2017!!!! Shocked

Rear arms and bushes being done as we speak!

I couldn't get ExtraCare but then mine's packing 112k miles.

Thumbs Up
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

 
 
Post #184031724th Jul 2017 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
James W
 


Member Since: 27 Mar 2008
Location: Wirral, UK
Posts: 1524

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Warranty Direct lost to Motor Easy

swansty wrote:
...Spoke with WD and they mentioned the motoreasy policy is not regulated by the FCA and is a discretionary policy - ie no one has to make motoreasy cover a claim, even if the item is mentioned in the policy. Could be scaremongering but I don't see anything on the motoreasy website to validate it either way.
Any experience of claiming yet James?


I fought with WD for a year over a claim they were declining and they were using some very questionable tactics to do so. I escalated to the FCA but following their lengthy investigations, it turned out they didn't have any power or authority to force WD to change their mind, despite acknowledging all of my evidence and viewpoints. So they were/are a toothless tiger with regards to enforcing decisions anyway it would seem.

(In the end WD deducted the disputed amount off my renewal).
 D4 XS, Prospeed Rack & Ladder, Drawer System, Split Charge, GG AT3s, Now with added black bits  
Post #184031924th Jul 2017 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
swansty
 


Member Since: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 684

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

alfamale wrote:
Front arms and bushes done April 2016 and again in April 2017!!!! Shocked

Rear arms and bushes being done as we speak!

I couldn't get ExtraCare but then mine's packing 112k miles.

Thumbs Up


Twice in 2 years? Hopefully better quality items fitted this time round. Im "only" on 80k. Maybe time now to invest in a 2 or 3 year plan!
  
Post #184033424th Jul 2017 12:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
alfamale
 


Member Since: 25 Jul 2011
Location: Stroud, Gloucestershire
Posts: 2067

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Twice in 12 months and one day! Now on SuperPro on the front but sticking with LR for the rears.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

 
 
Post #184033524th Jul 2017 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
swansty
 


Member Since: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 684

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Warranty Direct lost to Motor Easy

James W wrote:
swansty wrote:
...Spoke with WD and they mentioned the motoreasy policy is not regulated by the FCA and is a discretionary policy - ie no one has to make motoreasy cover a claim, even if the item is mentioned in the policy. Could be scaremongering but I don't see anything on the motoreasy website to validate it either way.
Any experience of claiming yet James?


I fought with WD for a year over a claim they were declining and they were using some very questionable tactics to do so. I escalated to the FCA but following their lengthy investigations, it turned out they didn't have any power or authority to force WD to change their mind, despite acknowledging all of my evidence and viewpoints. So they were/are a toothless tiger with regards to enforcing decisions anyway it would seem.

(In the end WD deducted the disputed amount off my renewal).


Interesting, good to know.
  
Post #184033624th Jul 2017 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
swansty
 


Member Since: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 684

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

alfamale wrote:
Twice in 12 months and one day! Now on SuperPro on the front but sticking with LR for the rears.


Ah yes...must check all those calculations I have done this morning! Seems im not on top form today
  
Post #184033724th Jul 2017 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
alfamale
 


Member Since: 25 Jul 2011
Location: Stroud, Gloucestershire
Posts: 2067

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Well, deed done. Signed up with Motor Easy and its Plan B today. They trimmed it again and I paid a total of £596.59 (£100 cheaper than WD), payable in quarterly instalments.

Betterment removed, suspension covered, turbo and intercooler covered and vehicle health check and 90 day clause removed.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

 
 
Post #184063425th Jul 2017 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
James W
 


Member Since: 27 Mar 2008
Location: Wirral, UK
Posts: 1524

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Let's hope we start to see some successful payouts soon Thumbs Up (not wishing a breakdown on anybody, you know what I mean!)
 D4 XS, Prospeed Rack & Ladder, Drawer System, Split Charge, GG AT3s, Now with added black bits  
Post #184094426th Jul 2017 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
RichardE
 


Member Since: 24 Apr 2007
Location: Ongar
Posts: 14

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Not a frequent poster, but have made good use of the forum over the years.

I decided to research an extended warranty for my car so came straight to the forum and found this thread.
Because of all the comments I went on the Motoreasy website and obtained a quote, and subsequently haggled the price down a bit, but wanted to check the documentation before buying.

Having worked in insurance for 35 years I was flabbergasted by what I found. I know there has been mention of this being a discretionary policy but didn't really understand the term. It turns out that it describes the policy exactly - it is completely at the discretion of Motoreasy whether they want to pay any claim whatsoever!! And because it is not FCA regulated (as Swansty pointed out) there is absolutely no recourse to anyone if you disagree with a decision.

Because this is not an insurance product, I assume claims are made out of premiums received. What happens if the premiums dry up? A proper insurance company is required to make provisions for claims but this is completely unregulated! If an insurance company goes bust you are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme but here there is no protection.

James W mentioned a problem with a WD claim and that the FCA were a "toothless tiger". Believe me they are not! But they do not have the power to enforce the payment of a specific claim - this is down to the Financial Ombudsman Service who can require an insurer to pay a claim. FOS however will have no jurisdiction over a Motoreasy policy.

Getting more technical, I believe the reason this policy isn't insurance is that for it to be insurance there must be a transfer of risk. Because of its discretionary nature policy holders are not actually removing any risk from themselves just paying a premium and hoping for the best!

I am not saying that Motoreasy won't pay any claims, because they obviously currently do, but personally I would stick with an insured product with all the safeguards.
 MY12 HSE  
Post #184784216th Aug 2017 11:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
J@mes
 


Member Since: 10 Nov 2008
Location: Bomber County
Posts: 4119

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Very interesting, thanks Thumbs Up
  
Post #184786416th Aug 2017 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 


Member Since: 11 May 2006
Location: No longer in a D4 :-(
Posts: 62259

United Kingdom 

+1. Thumbs Up
 

11 D4 HSE - just Dee, no more Double Disco. Now gone. Big Cry Big Cry 
 
Post #184787516th Aug 2017 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Scott #55
 


Member Since: 15 Apr 2015
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 743

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

RichardE wrote:
Not a frequent poster, but have made good use of the forum over the years.

I decided to research an extended warranty for my car so came straight to the forum and found this thread.
Because of all the comments I went on the Motoreasy website and obtained a quote, and subsequently haggled the price down a bit, but wanted to check the documentation before buying.

Having worked in insurance for 35 years I was flabbergasted by what I found. I know there has been mention of this being a discretionary policy but didn't really understand the term. It turns out that it describes the policy exactly - it is completely at the discretion of Motoreasy whether they want to pay any claim whatsoever!! And because it is not FCA regulated (as Swansty pointed out) there is absolutely no recourse to anyone if you disagree with a decision.

Because this is not an insurance product, I assume claims are made out of premiums received. What happens if the premiums dry up? A proper insurance company is required to make provisions for claims but this is completely unregulated! If an insurance company goes bust you are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme but here there is no protection.

James W mentioned a problem with a WD claim and that the FCA were a "toothless tiger". Believe me they are not! But they do not have the power to enforce the payment of a specific claim - this is down to the Financial Ombudsman Service who can require an insurer to pay a claim. FOS however will have no jurisdiction over a Motoreasy policy.

Getting more technical, I believe the reason this policy isn't insurance is that for it to be insurance there must be a transfer of risk. Because of its discretionary nature policy holders are not actually removing any risk from themselves just paying a premium and hoping for the best!

I am not saying that Motoreasy won't pay any claims, because they obviously currently do, but personally I would stick with an insured product with all the safeguards.


Thanks for this - it does change my view of ME a bit.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 
 
Post #184788516th Aug 2017 12:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
James W
 


Member Since: 27 Mar 2008
Location: Wirral, UK
Posts: 1524

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

RichardE wrote:
James W mentioned a problem with a WD claim and that the FCA were a "toothless tiger". Believe me they are not! But they do not have the power to enforce the payment of a specific claim - this is down to the Financial Ombudsman Service who can require an insurer to pay a claim. FOS however will have no jurisdiction over a Motoreasy policy.


Well I can give you the direct contact details of an investigator at FOS who told me that despite forming a conclusion on my case, FOS was unable to require WD to do anything. She could only provide an opinion. She said that the warranty was not an insurance product as such, well not one that they had enforcement over.

So either you are wrong, or I was incorrectly informed by FOS. I would scan and post the letter here but it's probably not appropriate.

Edit: I have just realised that I have mixed up FCA and FOS in my earlier post. So it was FOS who reviewed my case and said nothing could be done.
 D4 XS, Prospeed Rack & Ladder, Drawer System, Split Charge, GG AT3s, Now with added black bits  
Post #184788716th Aug 2017 1:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
RichardE
 


Member Since: 24 Apr 2007
Location: Ongar
Posts: 14

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Responding to James W (but not knowing how to quote!)

Obviously I have no specific knowledge of your claim and why it was problematic and I am not an expert on the WD product, but I do know that FOS can instruct an insurer to pay a valid claim or compensate a policyholder. This is binding on the insurer.

I am concerned that FOS didn't believe that the WD policy was an insurance product. I have only looked at their website today and they make it very clear that it is insurance. I wonder if WD have changed their business model?

I just wonder if in this case the problem was that the complaint was against WD when they are not actually the insurance company who turned the claim down, as I understand it they are just the administrator/broker. BUT I don't know the specifics and this would appear to be a technicality.

The policy wasn't in the name of a company was it? FOS only protects smaller companies.
 MY12 HSE  
Post #184791216th Aug 2017 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Display posts from the last:  
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >


Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



DISCO4.COM Copyright © 2004-2018 Futuranet Ltd & Martin Lewis
DISCO3.CO.UK RSS Feed - All Forums

DISCO4.COM is independent and not affiliated to Land Rover.
Switch to Mobile Site