Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct - NO COVER IF YOU DRIVE OFF-ROAD !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJS5

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Warranty Direct - NO COVER IF YOU DRIVE OFF-ROAD !

I am in the course of setting up a Warranty Direct warranty.

Access to my home is via BOAT (Byway open to all traffic) and it as in the case of previous policies with WD I emailed them seeking confirmation that their off-road restriction wouldn't cause problems. Amongst other things I said:-
Quote:

I am particularly concerned about your off-road clause - access to my house is via a BOAT (Byway open to all traffic) - xxxx Lane off yyyy Lane. I also shoot which involves driving off-road from drive to drive, I also drive off-road when visiting country shows, horse racing & friends with large estates. Please confirm that these activities will be covered. Please note that I do not go "green laneing" or involve myself in leisure off-roading.

Subsequently I have had a couple of telephone conversations, and numerous rmails the result of which is an email received this afternoon from WD which reads:-

Quote:
As discussed this afternoon, I have confirmed with my manager that you will be using the vehicle off-road for access to your property and access to country shows across the village green and that is absolutely fine.

In addition, you have been made aware that the policy will not cover vehicles used for driving off-road for shooting and if a fault occurred and was found to be due to using the vehicle for that purpose, the policy would then be invalid.

I have decided to go with WD despite this, and use another vehicle when I need to go off-road. SWMBO has offered her car in the short term, but realistically I think I may be in the market for another car - increasing the fleet size to 5 !

NJSS

Post #203047820th Feb 2019 7:04 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

A byway isn’t off road though. It’s an unsurfaced road.

But seems ridiculous that a vehicle built to go off-road isn’t covered. I can see why damage would be excluded, but that would be the same if you’re on a road.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #203048420th Feb 2019 7:26 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes, I got a quote and asked about off-road use. They were adamant that they wouldn't cover my D4 at all if it ever got used off-road (including farm tracks, fields, green lanes etc).

That's one of the reasons why I stuck with the LR extended warranty.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #203048520th Feb 2019 7:27 pm
NJS5

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Jon

My concern with the LR extended warranty is that crankshaft failures are not covered.

NJSS

Post #203048820th Feb 2019 7:38 pm
JonM

In my case, with WD nothing would have been covered, but they would have still willingly collected their premiums Rolling with laughter

I didn't have a crank shaft fail, but I did need both inlet manifolds replacing (on two separate occasions). This is an analogous situation - it was a known manufacturing problem with the manifolds. My dealer submitted the claim to LR warranty who (as he expected) rejected it. He said that there is an agreement between the LR extended warranty company and LR that LR will pay for repairs where there is a known component fault once the warranty company has rejected it.

He sent the rejection letter to LR and LR authorised the repair even though the car was now 6 years old (it did have a full main dealer service history and had continuously been under warranty from new both of which apparently help in this situation). Result - car repaired (twice) at no cost to me.

If this logic works for the inlet manifolds, I can't see why it doesn't apply to the crankshaft. Confused
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!

Post #203049120th Feb 2019 7:52 pm
indy4x

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A BOAT is a road that will be on the LOS and Definitive Maps, it is a public road that just hasn't been coated in asphalt and you will need tax, insurance and MOT to drive it

Post #203051220th Feb 2019 9:33 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Absolutely - driving on a BOAT is not an issue.

My concern is that WD will not cover vehicles used for driving off-road - obviously not on a BOAT, but when shooting, attending a country fair, point to point & the like.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #203051520th Feb 2019 9:37 pm
JonM

To be precise BOATs are PROWs not roads and are on the DM but not the LoS. UCRs are roads and are on the LoS but not the DM. They both have the same traffic laws as tarmac roads but even so, WD told me they wouldn't cover any vehicle used on unsurfaced roads.

I also used my D4 on farm tracks and fields for work so there was no chance that they would pay out for anything.

Post #203052420th Feb 2019 9:53 pm
Buckster

England 

NJS5 wrote:
Jon

My concern with the LR extended warranty is that crankshaft failures are not covered.

NJSS

Just renewed mine with LR and have an email in writing stating crank is covered, as long as vehicle is serviced at LR Dealer at the correct intervals. Thumbs Up
 2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #203054020th Feb 2019 10:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be honest, its probably one of those things that are best left undisclosed. The fact that your cars a bit muddy doesn't mean its been driven off the road!

Once you ask the question, they have to cover there arses. Iv'e never declared or asked if they would cover my car if it was taken off road, and I have used it off road, and subsequently claimed for various things over time, and they have never asked me if I have taken it off road, and paid out most of my claims without quibble.

I'm still ditching them though at next renewal after my MOT tomorrow, because they are too damn expensive.

Post #203054220th Feb 2019 10:31 pm
Davethegeo

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sometimes, "don't ask, don't tell" is the best policy.
 D1 300Tdi - gone
D2 Td5 ES (Alive remapped...mmm) - sadly gone
D4 2012 SDV6 XS - Stolen
D4 2014 SDV6 HSE - Shiny

Post #203060321st Feb 2019 8:38 am
NJS5

Davethegeo - you are probably correct; the problem is I am too honest, and with previous cars WD confirmed that off-road driving when shooting, visiting point-to-points etc.. was OK.

It seems pointless them offering a warrantee for vehicles specifically designed to be competent off-road, and then saying we won't cover you if you use the vehicle as intended.

It looks as if I will buy a FL2 to run alongside the D4 for off-road use, and not bother with a warrantee for the FL2. This will reduce the mileage covered by & depreciation of the D4 somewhat, at least that's how I'm justifying this to myself.

So now I'm after a decent SD4, Auto.

NJSS

Post #203061121st Feb 2019 8:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >