Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty repair arrangements
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Warranty repair arrangements

Just curious really - what is the normal arrangement as between JLR (or indeed any other vehicle manufacturer) and the dealer if a warranty repair needs doing ?

Does the dealer charge back at some discount to full retail ? Do they have to bear some of the cost themselves ? What happens if the dealer is not the one who sold the vehicle ?

Post #21776883rd Oct 2020 4:15 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Since buying a Ssangyong I have had to learn a lot about warranty work. To be fair all the work is standard stuff that they knew they had a problem with and only came to light after the cars had been out for a while. Aka dodgy air con pipes, flaking chrome wheels. My understanding is that the dealer charges it all back to the manufacturer. However they only get to charge book hours and costs of parts. So as an example my dealer couldn’t work out why my car had a re-occurring urea issue. Hence spent many hours at their expense to try and sort. Ironically it was solved by actually adding some ad blue !!! Couldn’t make it up.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #21776903rd Oct 2020 4:28 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Warranty work may need approval by the insurance company assessor. This can put a delay in getting the approval to do any warranty work as the assessor may only be at the garage once or twice a week. If the garage has a good working relationship with the local assessor they may be able to get approval over the phone.

Brendan

Post #21776943rd Oct 2020 4:55 pm
Brian_DL13

... which wouldn't apply if it was the original manufacturer's warranty, I guess ?

Post #21778214th Oct 2020 11:35 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There is no assessor from JLR, the dealership does the work on the spot, and any claim is then audited by JLR retrospectively

JLR pay the dealership a set hourly rate, and a receive a set discount on parts. This is why "some" dealerships are keen to say that something is not covered under warranty, and charge out a repair at full retail

While under manufactures warranty, you can use any JLR dealership worldwide
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #21778274th Oct 2020 11:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brian_DL13

Hmm, interesting stuff. Thumbs Up

Post #21778344th Oct 2020 12:06 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
There is no assessor from JLR, the dealership does the work on the spot, and any claim is then audited by JLR retrospectively

JLR pay the dealership a set hourly rate, and a receive a set discount on parts. This is why "some" dealerships are keen to say that something is not covered under warranty, and charge out a repair at full retail

While under manufactures warranty, you can use any JLR dealership worldwide

Although the warranty is world wide ,I had difficulty when in the USA with my UK registered D3 Diesel as the computer system will only recognise US VIN's so the vehicle cannot be booked in for Warranty work. . Fortunately they didn't need any parts to affect a repair as they cannot order none US spec parts and didn't charge me either . I know the warranty terms do say one may need to pay for the work and claim it back , but if parts cannot be ordered I cannot se how it would work. I couldn't even get an engine oil filter & had to get one shipped over from UK myself. Tried it under the Jag number s well as the dealer was a Jaguar agent , with the same result.
I complained to LR when I got back and had a refund on wheel alignment I had to have done .

Post #21778524th Oct 2020 1:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >