Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Water in footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PETER&WENDY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Water in footwell

We have just found water on the front passenger footwell mat, there is so much that it has run and soaked the edge by the step.
There is also water in the rear footwell by the step, there is a ridge between the areas so unlikely to flow from one to another.
I cant see any drips from anywhere, can anyone help

Cheers

Post #20143741st Jan 2019 9:41 pm
chris-rutter

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Peter&Wendy,
Welcome to the forum, this is a common fault (although I don’t have a sun roof, but read lots about there issues).

Might be worth you reading the sticky post here, this will give you a few places to check -

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/fix-sunroof-leak-22757.html

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards
Chris

Post #20143821st Jan 2019 9:52 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Me too

Post #20143961st Jan 2019 10:27 pm
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

As Chris said, this is a not uncommon problem.

The is an LR technical service bulletin for this issue : link here

If your headliner is dry, then it is likely the sunroof drain egress point is blocked or corroded. Basically it’s a rubber elbow that the sunroof drain plugs into, and this elbow then exits through the bulkhead behind the front wheel. Unfortunately this is located behind the main fuse box so it’s a p.i.t.a. to get to.

If you can drop the footwell trim reach up following the carpet toward the back of the fuse box, you should reach the top edge of the carpet and then feel if that’s wet.

Other potential is the ‘A pillar trim’ : LR tsb found here

Buy the replacement kit from eBay or your local dealer, take the exterior A trim off and replace the bits from the kit.

Next is the cabin air filter chamber not being closed correctly. The air filter chamber sits behind the glove box. Drop this down and check the air filter chamber door; can also feel if the carpet under this is wet or not. Can also open the chamber, check the state of your air filter, but also if the interior is wet .... unlikely to be the cause if it’s bone dry.

Last on the list, that I know of, is the air conditioning/ventillation drain hose. There is one on either side of the center console, in the passenger footwell area. Take the trim panel down from the footwell, and behind the section that covers the center console area you should see a black corrugated rubber tube. This locates into the floor of the chassis above the gear box (I think) and drains water that builds up in the ventillation system. If tube blocked or rotten, can leak.

Outside of that, I’ve been told there are numerous plugs in the floor of the car that can leak, as well as welds, seams and the fact the D3 seems to magically ‘create’ water from thin air!

Word of warning tho, it’s worth lifting the tread trim on the passenger side, it’s a single piece for front and rear doors; slide the front seat as far forward s you can, then grab an edge and lift straight up. Should pull away with a little bit of force, but keep an eye on your ‘jesus’ clips - they will probably stay in the sockets so you will need to prise them out and fit them to the plastic tabs on the trim plate before refitting, but make sure you use two screwdrivers to keep hold of BOTH edges or they slip and ping into the wiring channel below ....

Once the trim panel is up you can lift the edge of the carpet and work underneath it, between the carpet and the floor panels of the chassis. The thick rubber of the carpet holds a lot of water so worth letting it air and try dry it out. I used an air turbine of a HVLP spray painting gun to blast room air in but avoid anything actively heated.

Also, have a feel in the wiring loom channel. If there is standing water in there, get it out as best you can; kitchen roll, sponges, etc. Do not use heated air! But there is at least one vulnerable factory soldered splice in there that is prone to corrosion if exposed to water for some unknown length of time.

Also, feeling the underside of the carpet may give you an idea of where the water is coming from, so help you locate the source!

This is a quick summary, and if you need more help, ask!

Good luck

Andy

PS : I’d avoid flushing your sunroof drains at this stage until you know for certain the rubber elbows are good. If corroded, anything you flush down there will further soak the inside of the car.

When it gets to flushing, the technique I used I put on YouTube (link here). This is for the rear drain, but same process on front drains. Sorry for the crap audio, but the video of the equipment and technique used should be readily identifiable.

Post #20144021st Jan 2019 10:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >