Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

What to Do
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MARKW

United Kingdom 
What to Do

I have 19" RRS HSE wheels fitted at the moment with a set of MTR's less than 2 months old, so only a couple of thousand miles tops. I have 3 brand new MTR's replaced under warrenty and a couple of 6mm MTR's as spare spares.
But after having a few problems with driving in the sand last in Morocco I'mnot sure I can face getting stuck so often this year.
So my dilema is do I stick with what I've got or sell up and buy some 17's with some other rubber or get some rubber to fi the standard 18" rims I have at the back of the garage? Either way I need 6 of the 17's rims and tyres or 6 tyres in 18".

So what is the verdict? What would you do and why? No rush as I'm off on my trip in the middle of May
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #5730102nd Jan 2010 7:33 pm
Ken

Pirelli ATR in the sand is great even better than the 19's

AT2's also good in the sand the sidewall is way way softer than the ATR so watch the Rocks

Me next sand playtime will be 18's and ATR's Thumbs Up

Post #5730262nd Jan 2010 8:14 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

If budget is the most important, then don't go to Morocco anymore. If budget isn't a point and you have money for playing in morocco, then buy 17" wheels new or on ebay (they are the cheapest and most common on ebay) and get the rubber you want.
Why did you buy these 19" wheels in the first place? Wink
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #5730292nd Jan 2010 8:17 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: What to Do

MARKW wrote:
But after having a few problems with driving in the sand last in Morocco I'mnot sure I can face getting stuck so often this year.
What problems Mark? Though they're not the best tyre for sand are you sure the MTRs were the root of the problem? The End  
Post #5730382nd Jan 2010 8:38 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I purchased them because my originals, Pirrelli, were worn out and they were the right price with new MTR's fitted. Hence made sense to buy them. The MTR's failed in Morocco so they went back under warrenty. While they were away I purchased another set of MTR's. Now they have come back I have lots of new tyres now.

As for problems in sand deep down I know they aren't the root cause. The root ause was being in a 4 veh convoy and being the 3rd veh. Hence the surface was broken and traction was different to say the least. When I trail blazed for a while it was a bit better. But getting directions over the CB on which way to go in the desert wasn't fun.

All the 17's I've seen haven't been that cheap. I would quite happily change to 17 or 18's all round to get the right tyre. Will keep on looking for the right set up. Like I said May is still a long way off.

What does a set of ATR's cost Ken?
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #5730412nd Jan 2010 8:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >