Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

What's that leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RyanR

Canada 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
What's that leak

I have not noticed the old girl leaking before but today I was using a buddies garage for some calibrations. While not a lot of dripping, at the end I noticed a few drops on the ground when I pulled out. Crawled underneath but am not certain the point of origin or the fluid.

Looking from the front I first noticed a few drops hanging on the skid plate, appears to come out of a small hole on it. Fluid appears to be semi transparent and a bit of an amber colour.

Going in behind the FL wheel this area near the crossmember seems to be wet.

Looking up over the crossmember the low point of this tube to the left of the transmission pan seems to be very wet and the source of the dripping onto the skidplate.

I tried to shine a light up higher but could not see any wetness further up or point of origin. Skidplate seems to be in the way of a better view of the source. Seems too far back to be engine oil which makes me lean towards transmission fluid. Is the front left of the pan area where the mechatronic connector is whos sleeve is prone to leaking? If so is this they type of leak one would see?

Thank you

Post #233072920th Mar 2023 11:19 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looks to be from the transmission cooling lines, possibly a fractured or corroded pipe.
You'll have to dig deeper to confirm, but don't leave it as the torque converter does not like to be short changed of fluid!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #233073021st Mar 2023 12:24 am
RyanR

Canada 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Took a while to source and receive a set but the oil cooler lines have been replaced to fix that leak and I had the pan swapped out to the metal sump from Advanced Factors at the same time with a Fel-Pro gasket. Now to sort the leak from the pan... Had the bolts tightened and it reduced it but still a minor drip from the front right corner and can see fluid between the pan and the gasket on both rear corners but not dripping. Back to the shop next week to remove the cross member and engine skid plate to try for a better angle with the torque wrench. Really hoping it is just a torque issue. Shop failed to change out the loom seal I provided them at the same time, will save that incase we need to drop the pan again, loom doesn't appear to have a leak.

Post #233475626th Apr 2023 10:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >