Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Tom W

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

2006 and 2007 Dave

Post #4151344th Feb 2009 8:02 pm
baart

Poland 2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackLR4

it's completely different vehicle - no comparison at all

but I have to say pathfinder looks good ( and name is nice)

and feels OK when you drive on unpaved roads to nearby shop to buy a beer
 | Il boit pour oublier qu'il vit
Il dort pour oublier qu'il boit
C'est un bien triste
Un bien triste sort |

Post #4151604th Feb 2009 8:38 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Yep Nissan buy Renault engines, the 2.0 in Qashqai is from Renault. This probably explains why it won't start easily in the cold.

In comparison most cars feel cheap and tinny compared to the D3.

Post #4151644th Feb 2009 8:46 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Next you'll be telling me LR buy them from Ford Rolling Eyes Wink
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #4151664th Feb 2009 8:49 pm
cloudcatcher

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
thanks DG for tidying up after me!!...lol

You were right chaps I was belatedly answering Discoduncs question Embarassed .......Interesting discussion though it sparked ......but reassures me that its not me being picky when I compared the 2 cars seems others have the same feeling. Pathfinder is a company car so used Monday to Friday then I jump into the Disco at the weekend!!! on the plus side I get to do a long term test comparing the two....on the downside the comment about pathfinder owners wishing they had a discovery everytime they see one on the road.....abso-bloody-lutely!!!!!...well at least in my case anyhow!! lol Big Cry

Saying that I wish I could sort out these annoying niggly faults on the disco once and for all!!! Rolling with laughter
 Im sorry...did I break your concentration?  
Post #4157165th Feb 2009 3:20 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Renault own Nissan hence the engine sharing. The lump in the Pathfinder and Navarro is an old design that has been pushed to the limits and consequently has had a large number of failures. The failure rate in the Navarro is very high probably because they are driven by people who have no interest in them and hammer them constantly. Is there something in the Navarro handbook that says when on a motorway the thing must be driven drive flat in the outside lane?

The Navarro and the Pathfinder are essentially the same vehicle with the same platform and mechanicals and a lot of shared interior trim.

I took one around the 4x4 course at Bedford Aerodrome a couple of years ago and it was very capable. As others have noted the engine sounds as though it wws from a Routemaster bus.

Post #4157345th Feb 2009 3:46 pm
SN

Didn't BN do a Pathfinder/Navara vs Disco3 comparison? Confused

(runs and hides)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4157455th Feb 2009 3:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scoobystiv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gaza wrote:
Renault own Nissan hence the engine sharing. The lump in the Pathfinder and Navarro is an old design that has been pushed to the limits and consequently has had a large number of failures. The failure rate in the Navarro is very high probably because they are driven by people who have no interest in them and hammer them constantly. Is there something in the Navarro handbook that says when on a motorway the thing must be driven drive flat in the outside lane?

The Navarro and the Pathfinder are essentially the same vehicle with the same platform and mechanicals and a lot of shared interior trim.

I took one around the 4x4 course at Bedford Aerodrome a couple of years ago and it was very capable. As others have noted the engine sounds as though it wws from a Routemaster bus.

I think you will find it was the D22 Navara and not the later D51 Pathfinder.
It is tinny and feels cheaper, but kit wise will beat most D3s and it will not let you down every few days. Far more reliable and cheaper to run, yet just as capable, The D3 has far more engine failures than any Nissan look at honestjohn.co.uk. Non biased. The badge is what sells land rovers not the car. How many owners if honest dont have any problems with there D3s. Sorry this may seam bitter but after 10 years of Land Rovers I have woken up, they just cost money. When they run they are fantastic, but really how often is that. My Pathfinder I will take off road and feel confident it will make it ack.
Sorry but I will not be back at Land Rover, my Nissan is noisy not as quick but has managed to do 10 days without breaking down, thats 9 more than a D3. And the rear view camera is still working..
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi
Morris Minor 1000 4 door saloon(soon to be the Joker) 

Post #4630685th May 2009 8:47 pm
NJF

scoobystiv8,

You're plainly and probably reasonably upset but also atypical. I tell lots of people how poor I think my Mercs have been (12 years' ownership; 3 cars) and how much I have enjoyed my Land Rovers (5 years; two cars; 1991 110 CSW and 2007 D3 HSE). Nuff said? Wink

Post #4630795th May 2009 8:56 pm
scoobystiv8

NJF wrote:
scoobystiv8,

You're plainly and probably reasonably upset but also atypical. I tell lots of people how poor I think my Mercs have been (12 years' ownership; 3 cars) and how much I have enjoyed my Land Rovers (5 years; two cars; 1991 110 CSW and 2007 D3 HSE). Nuff said? Wink

I have always defended Land Rover but yes I agree I am now really hacked off with them. Its such a shame. Unfortunately my comparisons are my Subarus which just dont break, and now the Pathfinder which again is out performing Land Rover.
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi

Post #4630875th May 2009 9:02 pm
MelanieH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've had landrovers for years, including a 90, Discovery 200i, TD5, RR Sport and now the D3..... the bottom line - there are always more reliable and cheaper cars out there than a LR and if you need to rely on a car 100% then a LR probably isn't the marque to go for..... jap Censored is! That said our Sport was phenomenal and didn't let us down in 3 years and 55k miles (apart from the handbrake which occasionally didn't engage!) Our latest member of the family - the D3 - is really lovely and I'm sooooo pleased with it but I'm under no illusions - it's going to cost me money but it's something I'm prepared for given how practical the vehicle will be for us....

I've also got a merc, which after 9,000 miles - the 7 speed tiptronic gearbox went.... £4.5k to remove and replace (under warranty thank god) but ultimately for a 'luxury marque' I don't have the re-assurance with it that I have with the LR.
 Mercedes SLK 280
Audi A5 3.0 Quattro
Discovery TDV6 S
Suzuki GXR 600 

Post #4631075th May 2009 9:20 pm
ayrshiredisco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

scoobystiv8 wrote:

Unfortunately my comparisons are my Subarus which just dont break, and now the Pathfinder which again is out performing Land Rover.

Strange cause my mate works for nissan (he sells company lease deals) and he says that most pathfinders that he has had out on contract have been returned before the deal is up because they are either, a: not fit for purpose or b: break down far too often.

As for subaru i had one when i was in my early 20's and i could only ever manage about 15mpg, i hardly call that good economics!!

This is only my 2nd LR but in the year i've owned it has only ever been in the garage once, for 2 days, thats better than when i had the subaru because my local dealer, like LR, could never get parts.

Thats my opinion, and like everybody will have/know of good and bad in both brands. Thumbs Up
 If in doubt............flat out.

Buck blue with mantec, abar, roolights and some of uncle rays finest
club blanked egr's
dark silver mini cooper s 

Post #4631105th May 2009 9:25 pm
NJF

MelanieH wrote:
I've also got a merc, which after 9,000 miles - the 7 speed tiptronic gearbox went....

Off Topic (nearly)

MelanieH, did you have problems with a low-speed shudder, perhaps preceded by the 'box "hunting" up and down the gears at very low speed? My September 2006 320CDi is doing that now, even after a dealer reset. I'm hoping it will last until September this year, when the lease expires and (global financial Armageddon permitting) I can switch to a D4. It's a pity, because in all other respects the car is really superb, and I'd buy it if I thought it would be reliable. I heard that the problem is still linked to the way that the gearbox intercooler runs through the main radiator matrix ... made by Valeo?

Post #4631205th May 2009 9:35 pm
scoobystiv8

ayrshiredisco wrote:
scoobystiv8 wrote:

Unfortunately my comparisons are my Subarus which just dont break, and now the Pathfinder which again is out performing Land Rover.

Strange cause my mate works for nissan (he sells company lease deals) and he says that most pathfinders that he has had out on contract have been returned before the deal is up because they are either, a: not fit for purpose or b: break down far too often.

As for subaru i had one when i was in my early 20's and i could only ever manage about 15mpg, i hardly call that good economics!!

This is only my 2nd LR but in the year i've owned it has only ever been in the garage once, for 2 days, thats better than when i had the subaru because my local dealer, like LR, could never get parts.

Thats my opinion, and like everybody will have/know of good and bad in both brands. Thumbs Up

I am not into fuel economy, hence I had the D3 V8. I am only protraying my 10 years of Land rover ownership, I am not saying the Nissan is perfect, just its more reliable in my case. I dont buy cars for economics, my subarus which I have had 4 have never let me down, 2 covered in excess of 150K Forester Turbo and Impreza UK Turbo. If you look at most reliability surveys I think you will find alot of unhappy owners, Nisan is not perfect but for over 10K less than a LR se spec it makes sense especially when its bought and paid for, also wont lose as much money. I paid 14K for my Aventura which is specced as per HSE, I can keep it for 2 years and sell without losing much money and without all the breakdowns. Any Nissan mechanic will tell you the problems are with Navars D22s not the Pathfinders or D40 Navaras. I have alot to do with the motor industry and have a fair knowledge of what works and what doesnt. Again its each to there own. Wink
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi

Post #4631225th May 2009 9:36 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

scoobystiv8 wrote:
I have alot to do with the motor industry and have a fair knowledge of what works and what doesnt. Again its each to there own. Wink

Not enough to get yourself a decent dealer to sort out your everyday D3 problems though eh Wink

Post #4631245th May 2009 9:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >