Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

whats a pathfinder like?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
cloudcatcher

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
whats a pathfinder like?

In answer to the question ....different!
Comparing my TDv6 se auto to the 2.5tdi Sport manual, the D3 wins with smoother and quieter ride, engine noise in particular. Interior wise pathfinder is reasonable enough for a car costing 10k less and does hve a bigger 'boot' when 7 seats in use, but the back seats are not as comfortable as the D3 but are at least a reasonable size if not quite adult size. Towing a abbey vogue 650 twin axle the D3 is easier/more relaxing which given the similar weight and bhp I am guessing that the D3's higher roofline punches a bigger hole in the air for the caravan and hence reduces the effect of airflow on caravan stability. Off road the pathfinder appears pretty capable and whilst no doubt the D3 wins with its off road settings the Pathfinder hasnt got stuck yet. Final comment on a regular long run from the Midland to Edinburgh the pathfinder left me feeling that I had driven 400 miles where as the D3 didnt!!!

Oh but the Pathfinder does have one big advantage.....no annoying intermittent faults......20000 miles no faults other than an annoying squeak!.....D3 ho hum 1200 miles since last service.....rea parking sensors playing up after ( not during) rain...again!! 3rd time! oh and switching on when cold gives a HDC error.....oh and of course intermittent suspension fault again !!!
 Im sorry...did I break your concentration?  
Post #4150104th Feb 2009 4:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Confused Sorry chap but why would we want to know what a Pathfinders like Question
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4150164th Feb 2009 4:20 pm
flinty99

England 

This has been moved from the "Welcome to DISCO3.CO.UK - Say hello here! " thread.

I would guess by the opening sentance that the question was asked in the above thread and cloudcatcher posted this reply. Now its been moved the responce now makes little sence.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #4150204th Feb 2009 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flinty99

England 

Just browsing through the welcome thread and DiscoDunc asked what the Pathfinder was like and this is the reply.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #4150234th Feb 2009 4:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Pathfinders are usually the smallest of the bunch, with great stamina and excellent eyesight Thumbs Up

Seriously, I test drove a second hand one from a Land Rover garage Rolling Eyes because I thought it looked better than the D3 ( I know, I know! Sorry Bow down ) and have to say it was terrible. From the tinny sound when you closed the door to the awful sound from the engine and general feeling of cheapness/ plastic, I hated it.

Got back to garage and saleman said ' sure try one of these yokes' pointing at a D3......and the rest is history Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life. 

Last edited by tanters on 4th Feb 2009 6:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4150344th Feb 2009 4:48 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If you mean the Nissan one Wink

I tried one when looking for a new car in 2006, the contenders were

- XC90 (dismissed because local Volvo dealer had been complete tossers over an issue with the S40 i had at the time)

- D3 - 'nuff said 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Pathfinder - Engine sounded like an old Sherpa diesel van, and interior felt cheap. The Nissan dealer said the engine would sound better when it was 'run in' Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Was the cheapest of the 3 i looked at, and for good reason, it was to much like a Navarra with 7 seats!

I could have lived with the XC90 (dealer aside) but the D3 was the complete package and i got a good deal. I have not once regretted the decision to buy it Thumbs Up

Post #4150484th Feb 2009 5:23 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

There has also been alot in the press about early engine failures on the pathfinders/navara's, main or big ends failing Whistle
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #4150504th Feb 2009 5:27 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

flinty99 wrote:
This has been moved from the "Welcome to DISCO3.CO.UK - Say hello here! " thread.

Ah ! I see Thumbs Up Nothing against Pathfinders ...I think they are fairly good looking, value for money and reliable. Thumbs Up Just thought it a strange post Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4150524th Feb 2009 5:33 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I had two Xtrails following a self inflicted disaster with a Freelander, so when looking for a new bigger wagon I did consider a Pathfinder as I never had any issues with Nissan, finding them reliable and reasonable to drive etc etc.
Anyway, test drove a Pathfinder and to be frank, it was horrible. (Looks ok though)
Big bouncy plastic lump of lard. The auto box was vague, the steering was vague and the suspension was vague.
Add to that the excruciating depreciation, the idea got canned within 5 mins of handing the keys back to dealer.
They weren't particularly interested in doing a deal either and initial cost I thought was rather high.
THEN, I drove a D3. Better in every way for not a lot more money, the depreciation (at the time!) was a lot less, the dealer gave me a blinding deal on a new SE so that started my D3 ownership off.
Now I get a phone call/letter twice a month asking me to buy another Nissan....no way!

Was funny though, when I told the Nissan peeps I was going to test drive a D3 they all slagged off Land Rover.
Particularly the reliability, build quality and apparently, the Pathfinder won loads of 4X4 group tests!
Not in any article I read!!

Best way to ultimately drive each model yourself and decide then.
IMHO, they don't even come close to each other.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #4150704th Feb 2009 5:53 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

we tested the Pathfinder, and similar to bigcarpchaser told the nissan dealership that we were going to drive the D3 next....they just said you'll buy the Disco Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter not wrong there Thumbs Up on another note my mate is looking at buying the navara for work, they told him that they are comparable to the FFRR in off road comfort and ability Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter funny bunch of lads there always ready to have a laugh Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I too have heard about the nissan engines blowing up, is there any truths to it, don't want my mate literally blowing his hard earned cash Confused
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #4150754th Feb 2009 6:04 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Have heard rumours of engines biting the dust too, aren't they made in partnership with Renault?
Might explain things Smile
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #4150794th Feb 2009 6:11 pm
Tom W

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have had 2 navaras as works vehicles,1st blew at about 35k, second managed 40ish. Sad Ride like a sack of Censored as well Confused

Post #4150924th Feb 2009 6:39 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

what reg were they Confused
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #4150944th Feb 2009 6:42 pm
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Test drove all sorts of 4x4's and the pathfinder was one of them.

Lacked a lot of the luxury and comfort the D3 has. And was quite noisy as well. I felt it was a bit like a Builders motor, could see it with bags of cement and a shovel in the back sort of motor.

I thought long and hard about the difference in specs, the looks and the price and came to a conclusion.

That was if I had bought a pathfinder then every time I seen a D3 on the road my heart would sink a little and I would wish I paid a little more and purchased the D3.

I wonder how many pathfinder owners feel that way Smile
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #4151074th Feb 2009 7:13 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

bigcarpchaser wrote:
Have heard rumours of engines biting the dust too, aren't they made in partnership with Renault?
Might explain things Smile

Oi Whistle

It's true though, they joint-produced some of the engines including the big 3.0 diesels.
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #4151254th Feb 2009 7:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >