Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

wheel alignment/ balancing/tracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
If you can knock up something that can measure all that for under £1000, put my name down for one Thumbs Up

...workin' on it... Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #28679214th Apr 2008 11:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

twizzle wrote:
i was quoted £180.00 for the alignment, but manged to find out where they took the car and went direct.... ( local tyre emporium) i had two wheels out of alignment and was charged about £60.00 (£30.00 per corner if all four wheels are out)

My money is on the rears being out by around 0.25 of a degree Whistle

My only concern about a local tyre place is if they all have the correct settings. Land Rover did amend them to cure the tyre wear issue...

Post #28682515th Apr 2008 7:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

My wheel alignment was done at the dealer again after replacement of suspension parts to fix nocking over bumps etc. Also they have done several alignments in the past for uneven tire wear. No idea if the last alignment is correct, will just have to wait and see. BUT...... looking at the wheels on a flat concrete surface each wheel seems to have a diferent angle [ camber ] So with a spirit level checked that the floor was level . Then with a builders set square and a small engeneers ruler measured the difference between the top and the bottom of the wheel rim. The results were a shock. between 2mm and 15mm difference. Each wheel was different. This can not be correct alignment. Not that my method is very accurate but it certenly is within a bulls roar and at least confurms what is visable to the eye is not just a elusion.

Oh well some more things to address Big Cry

Rob

Post #28684715th Apr 2008 9:06 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Rob
What tyres are yuo running
 Pete  
Post #28686015th Apr 2008 9:41 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Rob,

You've got me running out to the shed, same dealer? I believe did a wheel alignment on mine last week.

Back shortly.

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #28686815th Apr 2008 9:56 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think this is why they put it into geometry set mode as the suspension is self leveling and does not do this accurately enough. Question Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #28686915th Apr 2008 9:59 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

OK,

After some confusion I'm quite happy. Rear wheels both have same camber, Front wheels both have same camber. Indicates all is well.

The confusion came because I had originally measured into the wheel from a spririt level on each side of the vehicle and the measurements were different.

After a thougth I checked and can confirm the body is betwenn 1 and 2mm off centre on the chassis. Not unacceptable.

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #28687915th Apr 2008 10:23 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I run two sets of tires, on road Cooper HT+ and off road Cooper STT on 17" rims. Now they still wear the fronts more than the back, so regular rotation is nessesary,
Most of my bad wear issues were with the orig. Good Years, scrubed out sides etc.
As to setting in wheel alignment mode no just let it settle and open a door so it wont do its own thing. I know the way I checked the camber was not that accurate but it showed up a big varyation a lot more than in my opinion is acceptable.
Have heard on the grape vine and will have to check it out that there is a work shop that has devised a system to do D3 wheel alignment and is getting it spot on !

Rob

Post #28695715th Apr 2008 2:38 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The rason i asked is that softer tyres (read OE)
will exacerbate any wheel alignment problems
 Pete  
Post #28713615th Apr 2008 9:01 pm
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have been searching through posts but cant put my hand on the Australian posts for warranty claims for uneven tyre wear...

...can someone remind me if and when such warranty claims were been paid by LR?

I have been told by my dealer that they took off the current tyres today during servicing and that the alignment is well out and they have worn badly on the inside Sad (the off road tyres - 17" Cooper STT's)

I want to figure out if the alignment being out is just because of the fact that I change wheels over myself regularly (I do rotate them each time) and/or do a fair bit of off-road driving, or if it is a geometry issue?
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #37301813th Nov 2008 7:20 am
slipware

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I've had a bit of trouble with mine. Tracking was supposedly sorted, but it was so far out it wore a tyre out in about 6,000 miles! I'm not 100% sure it is on track even having paid £90 for the stealers (and I don't say that lightly) to "fix" it!
 If you never try, you'll never know...  
Post #37312613th Nov 2008 11:51 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Can anyone recommend a place to get wheel alignment checked in Wiltshire / Hampshire / Berkshire / Dorset?

Just bought our D3 and I've noticed it pulls to the left slightly. Given the price of these tyres I'd rather get it checked sooner than later.

I've always used Micheldever Tyres to get our Audi A4 aligned, but I read some posts on here from folk who'd had bad experiences there with Discoveries Sad

Up to now I've stayed away from using dealers for wheel alignment as I didn't think they had the sort of equipment that a place like Micheldever has, but maybe I'm wrong?

David

Post #37384314th Nov 2008 6:30 pm
caverD3

Dealer needs to do a geometry set mode first. They then sens it out to the tyre place to ab aligned then re-set on return.
Gives a more accurate alignment as you are doing four wheels not two.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #37403415th Nov 2008 1:25 am
crazy

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sorry Guys, a little question: what's the reason to do the geometry set mode? I think that's similar to leave one door open, or not?
Thanks
Ciao
 Landy lover
Membro del Club 

Post #37405115th Nov 2008 8:56 am
caverD3

I think it stops the self leveling working.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #37409415th Nov 2008 12:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >