Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Wheels Up!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
reggwensie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Wheels Up!

I feel compelled to share these thoughts after a giving the D3 it's off road shakedown at Glentarkie (Scottish Off road Drivig Centre) yesterday..

I've had Land Rovers for 20 years - everything from a SWB seriesIII, a V8 hybrid, Defenders, DiscoI,II and a Range Rover LSE (with a TVR 5.0l V8 8) ). I've been across the Sahara in Libya, Algeria & Morocco, competed in club trials and done my fair share of winch challenges and green lanes. I've actually had most of my Landies round the aforementioned off road site so I guess this is a fair comparison.

So, apart from the V8 hybrid (88" wheelbase, front/rear lockers, two winches) which you could point at virtually anything and it would get through.....

Click image to enlarge

I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN SUCH A CAPABLE, ASONISHINGLY GOOD OFF ROAD VEHICLE AS THE DISCO 3!

Its ability to climb is incredible! It'll get a front wheel 6' in the air on an axle twister and the traction control will keep it going, working as well as a locked diff. My 16 year old son and I have been off-roading together since before he could walk. Yesterday we found ourselves looking at one another in disbelief, "Did we just get over that?"

The anti-stall is so good it will forgive poor gear selection, but the 2.7 V6 is so torquey low down the car is virtually idiot proof!

We're talking about a base manual coiler on +2"OME springs and slightly oversize BFG AT's and the shakedown was designed to see if it would cope with the rough stuff usually found on North African pistes. I'd have no hesitation in taking it across the Sahara now, the independant suspension is so good on rough tracks it makes a beam axled 4x4 look stone-age!

Thank you Land Rover for giving us the Best 4x4xfar, wish I'd bought one when they first came out Bow down
 Fraser  
Post #82053725th Jul 2011 11:00 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Wheels Up!

Unnecessary quote removed

Love that post
so good to see someone who has something good to say about the D3 instead of the usual moans and groans about things that go wrong
hats off to you sir Bow down Bow down
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #82057826th Jul 2011 5:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Mr. Green
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #82058526th Jul 2011 6:42 am
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Photo says it all really!

As well as the current D4 Commercial, I also have the weekend plaything which is a very capable 300Tdi but I do look with slightly lustful eyes at the capabilities of an entry spec D3 and am rehearsing my pitch to the Fun Prevention Officer for the day when the MOT man decides I need to look elsewhere...

Mind you, I've done most of the welding and with 220k on the clock, it's now run in so hopefully that conversation is a few years away but I do think that when the time comes, it'll have to be a full scale upgrade...

Thanks for the original post...
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #82058826th Jul 2011 7:04 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Looks like the same hole as earlier this year :-
Click image to enlarge

I just had to get out and have a look for myself, but the offside door was down the hole. Went round again for another go, just to prove it wasn't a fluke.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #82061726th Jul 2011 9:27 am
reggwensie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Navigator, Same hole - I climbed out of the drivers window as the bottom of the window was at ground level!
 Fraser  
Post #82062626th Jul 2011 10:16 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I can't fit through the window. Big Cry
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #82063226th Jul 2011 10:41 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Me too.
While up in the mountains it's good to get some clean air. Wink

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #88401916th Jan 2012 3:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >