Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Which height on the tow bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
al cope

England 

I agree, its never something I would have considered either, but that was the info back from Bailey tech support.

My mate has just suggested something I'd forgotten about, and that was to try the lightweight calor bottles. Worth a look methinks.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #90225227th Feb 2012 3:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Perhaps they mean moving some excess weight backwards to "just behind the axle" and no more.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #90225927th Feb 2012 3:38 pm
al cope

England 

yep, most likely. I would never consider putting stuff right at the back (even though there is a huge space under the fixed bed right at the back - you could put quite a few cases of wine under there Whistle Whistle )

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #90226227th Feb 2012 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

al - i will check the nose weight next time i pull it. the tintent is in storage until easter so once its loaded up again for the season i will check the nose weight and see how she tows.

Post #90230727th Feb 2012 5:08 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
My mate has just suggested something I'd forgotten about, and that was to try the lightweight calor bottles

I have been using them for a few years now and they really are a lot lighter than normal cylinders, well worth considering them if you are worried about excessive noseweight. Thumbs Up

Post #90231127th Feb 2012 5:16 pm
al cope

England 

Are you using the 6kg Calor Propane, or the BP bottles (5 & 10kg ones)?

I know propane gases off better at low temps, but it used to leave black soot on the pots.

Its a pain as they all use different connectors. Currently using 2 x 7kg Calor Butane.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #90232427th Feb 2012 5:38 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I use the 6kg propane all year round, never had any issues with soot though. Thumbs Up

Post #90236627th Feb 2012 6:40 pm
grumpyoldgit

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
towing hitch height

How do you alter the height on a detachable towbar! I assume that whoever designed the detachable and the receiver on the Landy had got together with the caravan manufacturers when they did so. Having just got rid of one caravan which towed perfectly (slightly nose down) i am hoping that the new van I collect next month has a hitch not far off the same height.

Post #90275228th Feb 2012 1:38 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You can't! You need the multi-height hitch Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #90275328th Feb 2012 1:40 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

If you have the problem of one set of holes being slightly too high, but the lower set being slightly too low Evil or Very Mad You can always fit a packing plate (shim) between the bottom of the coupling head and the chassis. Depending on what height you need, this will determine the thickness of plate required.

Post #90275828th Feb 2012 2:07 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I remeber way back when I did a caravan club towing course. nose weight should be around 10% of the gross weight of the van. Put heavy items over the axle, or just in front/behind depending on the state of your nose weight.

Van should be level or slighty nose down, never nose up.

Never put heavy items right at the back/front i.e bike carriers/spare wheel should never be placed on the back of the van.

We user to tow a Stering Eccles Elite twin axle 1500kg with a freelander, never had any issues towing. Upgraded to a D2 as the car freelander was a little light. Now have a D4 and a off-road camping tralier. Don't think the old van would survive for long out here Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #91116418th Mar 2012 2:11 am
bambi

England 

al cope wrote:
The D3 nosewieght limit is 150kg max if I recall, but most 'vans max nosewieght is 100kg, so dont exceed that.

My new bailey shocked me a bit with its noseweight. Even with just 2 gas bottles in the front locker, its was way over 100kg. Bailey recommend I put stuff behind the axles to "counterbalance" - not something I would recommend, but looks like I've no choice.

Have you checked the 'vans nosewieght, as this might be your issue rather than nose height.

See if you can run as close to 100kg as you can.

Al

I looked at a new sorento and that has nw of 100kg, the hymer caravan I have has a nw of 85kg empty, when I posted this on the Kia forum I was told the same load at the rear, to counter balance , now all the info I have read about loading caravans says that is a no no, so judicious loading was required, one thing that will help are the new ultra lightweight bottles calor now do . I have all the gear I need stored and a nw of 95kg . Set with a calibrated gauge.

Post #91259121st Mar 2012 6:12 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
I remeber way back when I did a caravan club towing course. nose weight should be around 10% of the gross weight of the van.

Not sure if you are talking about the Australian Caravan Club, but the UK Caravan Club recommends a noseweight of 7% of the caravans actual weight. Although you are advised not to exceed either the car or caravan manufacturers maximum figures. This would only really apply to very heavy outfits though. Thumbs Up

Post #91289822nd Mar 2012 12:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >