Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Which height on the tow bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Which height on the tow bar

hi

i currently tow a sterling europa 600 twn axle tintent with my 07 se d3.
I swapped my swan neck for a multi height unit as i needed to carry a bike rack too.
initially i placed the ball on the lowest setting but found it bottomed out my jockey wheel so i have now moved the ball upto 450mm. whilst i noticed a great improvement in general towing it appeared to have lost stability when towing close to 60mph!
i am thinking of trying the 400mm height to see if that makes any difference.
i would like to know if anyone else has had any experience like this and what is the most common height for the multi unit.

thanks

Post #90014122nd Feb 2012 12:38 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Whatever position gets the van sitting level with all wheels on the ground. Remember to check with the D3 loaded.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #90018022nd Feb 2012 1:47 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I went for the middle setting after seeing my brotherinlaws van bottom out on the lowest setting.
Been fine with me. Caravan has a slight dip at the front when hooked up so as recommended

Post #90020722nd Feb 2012 2:27 pm
al cope

England 

take the drop plate off, and fit the towball on the bottom pair of holes:

Click image to enlarge

this has worked fine for an Swift Conqueror, an Abbey Spectrum and now a Bailey Oylmpus, all twin axles.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #90026222nd Feb 2012 5:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

right

thanks for the answers guys.
i think im going to try the 400mm height next, al's suggestion and then i will post to let you know.
will be towing the tintent on saturday so will let you know.

thanks

Post #90026922nd Feb 2012 5:13 pm
devonchilliman

England 

This is the height I have mine set at Thumbs Up
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #90035322nd Feb 2012 7:28 pm
Thelo3

well guys i have just pulled the tintent with the ball on the bottom two holes of the bar without the plate and i have to say it made it worse!
have decide that for my outfit the height should be 450mm so thats where its going to be set.
thanks for all the advice, this forum is just great Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #90148625th Feb 2012 12:32 pm
al cope

England 

What height does the caravan manufacturer recommend. Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #90175026th Feb 2012 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Set the ball height so that the caravan sits slightly nose down, it should either sit level or slightly nose down for better high speed stability. If the van is even slightly nose high it will dramatically affect stability.

If your choice of ball height is either just a fraction high or quite a bit low, always go for the low setting Thumbs Up

Post #90176126th Feb 2012 1:23 pm
Thelo3

with the ball set on the bottom holes on the plate it made towing very unpleasent as it felt like the like a see saw!
i took the plate off and put the ball on the higher of the two settings and it towed much better apart from it appeared to have a little less stability around 60mph. on trying the lower setting with the plate off it just made the slow speed towing upto 30mph uncomfortable again it appeared very clunky.
i am going to try the higher setting again and see if it was the wind on the day i tried it that made it unstable.
al - i need to check what height Sterling recommend.
b16 kjr - it appears when the nose is pointing down is when i get the uncomfortable slow speed towing.

as ever this forum just keeps givng and its great that so many people want to share their knowledge.

Very Happy Very Happy

Post #90204427th Feb 2012 9:25 am
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hi Thelo,
Rather than experiment by trying different heights, connect the car to the caravan, and adjust the height so that when towing, the front of the caravan is lower than the back, and ensure that the 'van is front heavy and not back heavy. Wink

Post #90205727th Feb 2012 9:48 am
Thelo3

barry - as i said in my post when the nose is pointing down is when the towing becomes very jerky and uncomfortable. with the ball on the top setting ie 450mm the van appears level and low speed towing is great you can hardly feel the van but around 60mph on the day i tried it felt a little less stable than previous but as i said this could be down to the fact it was windy on the day.
i am new to the tintent thing so going through the learning process.

thanks

Post #90206427th Feb 2012 9:58 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

The slightly nose down stance is what you want for stability at speed. If it is "uncomfortable" at low speeds try increasing the noseweight. It sounds like the noseweight is too low and when you hit a bump the van trys to pivot on its own axis. If you have a decent noseweight it will prevents this happening.

Ideally for stability at speed you need to have the van slightly nose down and with a good noseweight. If the van is slightly high and does not have a decent noseweight, it may feel fine until one day when you least expect it, it will all go wrong. At speed the airflow will get under the van and try to "lift" it, that coupled with too low a noseweight spells disaster.

Get the towball height set first. then experiment with noseweight. I am sure it should be around 7% of the total weight of the van. But you have to check the D3s towbar max weight. As a general guide if you can lift the van with the coupling quite easily, the noseweight is too low. You should be able to lift it, but it should be damn heavy.

Whatever you do though dont be tempted to place any heavy items, awning etc behind the axle to lighten the noseweight this will only lead to instability.

It is daunting at first but once you get the height/noseweight sorted, you will get a feel for it and you will then know where everything goes in the van and wont have to keep checking it. Thumbs Up

Post #90210327th Feb 2012 11:00 am
al cope

England 

The D3 nosewieght limit is 150kg max if I recall, but most 'vans max nosewieght is 100kg, so dont exceed that.

My new bailey shocked me a bit with its noseweight. Even with just 2 gas bottles in the front locker, its was way over 100kg. Bailey recommend I put stuff behind the axles to "counterbalance" - not something I would recommend, but looks like I've no choice.

Have you checked the 'vans nosewieght, as this might be your issue rather than nose height.

See if you can run as close to 100kg as you can.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #90213227th Feb 2012 11:55 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Bailey recommend I put stuff behind the axles to "counterbalance" - not something I would recommend, but looks like I've no choice.

I am amazed that Bailey would suggest this Shocked and would pretty much guarantee they would not be prepared to put it in writing.

I would rather run with the noseweight too high than risk "counterbalancing" behind the axles. If it was really too heavy, it would be preferable to remove the gas bottles rather than risk "counterbalancing". Personally to me, the higher the noseweight the better for high speed stability (within reason) Thumbs Up

Post #90216427th Feb 2012 12:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >