DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Whirring noise - getting louder?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Whirring noise - getting louder?

Hi Guys,

I had my 2009 Disco 3 serviced in Oct last year and there were several things which needed addressing so I had them all completed (about £800 worth). The garage did say that they thought the gearbox was making a slight vibration and suggested a flush might be an idea, which I planned to have done in March this year before Covid got in the way of my best laid plans. I still intend to have this done in the next few weeks.

However recently I have noticed a whirring/ vibrating noise which sounds like its coming from the front at pretty much all speeds but most noticeable from 20 miles an hour upwards. The noise changes speed and pitch with the vehicle speed. When going along if I knock the auto box into neutral the noise doesn’t disappear or change in any way, it just stays constant and the volume and pitch drops as the speed decreases. Exactly the same as if I come off the accelerator while in drive. If I give it a blip of gas the noise doesn't jump up with the revs, so it seems related to vehicle speed as opposed to engine speed?

There doesn’t seem to be any other obvious symptoms like vibration that I am aware of. The gear changes can be fairly slow but no worse than I remember them being 15k miles ago when I bought the disco. The steering feels maybe slightly vague but that might be me looking to find fault. When I wobble the wheels to test the bearings they seem fine.

The noise has definitely got louder and after an 80 mile drive yesterday it sounded about twice as loud as the last time I drove the disco so feels as though it’s getting worse quickly! It is becoming almost reminiscent of a deep version of a jet engine in that spinning whirring way. There are no lights on the dash, and it still seems to drive as normal, but the worsening noise means something is obviously on it’s way out, and I’m trying to pre-empt the catastrophic failure of some component. The gearbox seed was planted by the garage last year, but the symptoms I have don’t seem to match the vibration between 1.5k-2k rpm which I understand are the usual signs of gearbox drama.

Any suggestions very welcome, if nothing else to prepare me for the worst case scenarios! I’ll get it booked into the garage and report back when they diagnose the issue. (Fingers firmly crossed it’s not time for a new gearbox!!!)

Mileage now 110k, Last service 106k, and the service before that 95k (cambelt etc).
Thanks!

PS. The noise reminds me of a noise an old disco 1 I had which made a similar noise at high speed due to running 3 different mud terrain tyres which made a sort of jet noise on the road at high speed. I'm fairly certain it isn't that though as I am running 4 x Falken Wildpeak A/T which have less than 3k miles on them and pressures are all fine.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
L322 Range Rover Vogue - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
200tdi Defender 110 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
Series 3 88" Petrol - sold
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #214961027th May 2020 1:47 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is the noise in the cabin? Could be wheel bearing related? Or is it not a rumble?
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #214961327th May 2020 2:00 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Straight line out of gear constant noise most likely wheel bearing, but there are loads of other contenders for the noise.

Post #214961827th May 2020 2:13 pm
ReadySalted

Definitely not in the cabin. I wondered about a wheel bearing but they seem okay and as you say its not the rumble noise you'd expect.

My knowledge of Disco 3s is very limited but I must say the noise sounds very similar to a noisy propshaft on a defender or early disco. As if the UJs are going or the props out of balance maybe. It's that kind of thing.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #214961927th May 2020 2:15 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Cassete wheel bearings can feel fine, but actually be noisy.

Post #214962027th May 2020 2:16 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Might be worth looking at your prop shaft - mine was replaced at around 150k miles, but SWMBO's D4 is showing early signs at 100k
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #214962227th May 2020 2:18 pm
ReadySalted

Thanks guys,

One of the props was replaced last October so maybe this is the other. Appreciate the responses.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #214962327th May 2020 2:26 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Try pressing the heater controls Econ button on just to check it isn't the air com pump bearing. if the noise stops then it could be the pump.
 David

Post #214965427th May 2020 3:57 pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've just replaced a wheel bearing on mine, as per the comment above there was no play at all in the bearing. Oddly it went from a gentle whirring noise to a proper rumble whilst sat for a week, at that stage I could hear it when spinning the wheel by hand, prior to that I couldn't find the couldn't find the cause.

Post #214984428th May 2020 11:35 am
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Front wheel bearings or possibly front diff bearings. I had a similar noise that was unidentifiable, mileage at the time was around 105,000 mls. Had to fit recon diff. The old girl's fairly quiet at the moment!! Whistle
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #214985228th May 2020 12:00 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have had a couple of D3's with this sort of sound. One was front diff bearings and the other Transfer box . Both at the 150K mileage mark . TB noise rapidly got worse after initial longer period of low level noise . Garage advised me not to run it until fixed ,

Post #214986628th May 2020 12:38 pm
ReadySalted

Just as a bit of an update I finally got round to taking the disco to the garage for them to assess the noise (after about 2 months of being afraid to really drive it anywhere).

I took it to the garage (alltrack4x4 near Hereford) and explained its making a whirring noise which sounds to my untrained ear like propshaft or gearbox issues, but it needed an expert ear to have a listen. They took it out for a drive, came back and had a good look underneath with the lift and deduced that it’s just tire noise! Shocked Shocked I could have kissed him when he told me! I was expecting a drive home deliberating over a 2.5k bill or to sell the truck but to my surprise he said there is no shudder in the gearbox which a disco like mine (2009 110k) would usually have.

As a caution I had the box flushed yesterday which has made the changes pretty much unnoticeable now so it is silky smooth to drive, and having driven the car in the wet and noticed the mystery whirring noise change significantly I am sure that the garage is right and the noise is just from the tires. They are Falken Wildpeak ATs which are a budget all terrain I suppose. Fairly aggressive tread pattern in comparison to the mixture of road tires I had on before, and it makes sense because I noticed the noise a short time after I had the tires changed.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #216916322nd Aug 2020 9:05 am
davidhem

That's good news, alltrack are very good. Thumbs Up
 David

Post #216916422nd Aug 2020 9:12 am
Chrispolla

Argentina 2008 LR3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackLR3
Vibracion

Buenas tardes amigos...
Necesito de vuestra ayuda... Recientemente adquirí un LR3 HSE TDV6... año 2008... con 129000 kms de unica mano... la camioneta esta muy bien cuidada pero tiene un par de cosas que me tienen preocupado...
La primera es vibración que se refleja en el interior ( sobre todo en el pedal del acelerador y el suelo del vehículo ) cuando la camioneta esta en velocidad y se suelta el acelerador ...Al apretar nuevamente el acelerador esta vibración desaparece.
Aclaro que la vibración va de la mano de la velocidad ( a mas velocidad mas se siente )...
La caja desde el habitaculo ( Tocando la palanca ) no vibra nada y no se siente... repito que solo se transmite en el suelo y por ende en el acelerador...
Probé poner en Neutral la caja a unos 100kms/h y soltar el acelerador y la vibración se siente igual, y al apretar el acelerador con la caja en Neutral se sigue sintiendo tambien...con lo cual algo me dice que es un tema de Rodamiento posiblemente...
Aguardo vuestras opiniones que seguramente seran de mucha ayuda.
Gracias y saludos

Vibration Report post

Good afternoon friends...
I need your help ... I recently bought a LR3 HSE TDV6 ... year 2008 ... with 129,000 kms in one hand ... the truck is very well cared for but it has a couple of things that have me worried ...
The first is vibration that is reflected inside (especially on the accelerator pedal and the vehicle's floor) when the truck is at speed and the accelerator is released ... When you press the accelerator again, this vibration disappears.
I clarify that the vibration goes hand in hand with the speed (the higher the speed, the more it feels) ...
The box from the passenger compartment (touching the lever) does not vibrate at all and it is not felt ... I repeat that it is only transmitted on the ground and therefore on the accelerator ...
I tried putting the gearbox in Neutral at about 100kms / h and releasing the accelerator and the vibration feels the same, and when pressing the accelerator with the gearbox in Neutral it continues to feel too ... with which something tells me that it is a Rolling issue. possibly...
I await your opinions that will surely be very helpful.
Thanks and regards

Post #217017026th Aug 2020 9:23 pm
davidhem

This could be any number of things, Torque converter, unlikely if you are getting issue out of gear, do you get any fluctuation of the rev counter?

Wheel bearings?

Unbalanced drive shaft?

Anyone here that might be able to shed more light? Neutral
 David

Post #217029927th Aug 2020 4:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >