Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Good luck finding this
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheers Mikey, I will have a look tomorrow.

Post #10475422nd Feb 2013 5:35 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have the wiring diagrams on my other laptop, which is currently dead, and can't find the charger Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #10475442nd Feb 2013 5:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

The wire is Purple/Blue, fed from fuse 44 (5A)

HTH Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #10475582nd Feb 2013 6:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK thats a great help DM Thumbs Up

Just had a quick look, and its a bit wet under there. maybe all the snow on passengers boots recently has triggered it?

Too dark and cold to look any closer now, but I am confident I can fix it.

Post #10475812nd Feb 2013 6:45 pm
Disco_Mikey

I did have a picture on my phone, but must have deleted it, as I can't find it...

Sure you will find it, fairly easy once you find the right colour of wires Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #10475892nd Feb 2013 6:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK, I had a look at this, and drawn a blank.

I removed the door seal, pulled up the plastic sill trim front to rear, removed the B post trim, unscrewed the bonnet release, and removed the A pillar footwell trim, removed the plastic cover that covers the cable loom in the floor channel, and exposed the main loom that runs from front to rear.

Access is really tight, with the carpet and soundproofing getting in the way, but by snipping a couple of zip ties I was able to lift the loom for inspection.

I found the thin purple blue wire, but was unable to find a splice on it anywhere. Having said that, it was really difficult to follow it in the 100's of wires in there. I presume you have to cut the black bindings and separate the loom?

There are lots of blue taped splices, but these all seem to be on the earth points in the footwell.

Post #10480893rd Feb 2013 2:51 pm
Disco_Mikey

You may have to cut some of the tape off.it is quite far forward in the loom, almost at the black plastic at the bottom of the a-pillar
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #10481023rd Feb 2013 3:09 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Fault on mine cleared about 2000 miles back and hasn't shown it's head since. It's clearly an intermittent wiring fault, I thought probably a dodgy earth, but with it self-fixing I stopped looking Embarassed May be a coincidence, but it cleared around the time when I re-seated the resistor on the OSR D4 LED indicator lamp - the earth connection on the resistor was a bit intermittent.

I've put some time aside to giving the car a pre-Alps clear out this weekend so will pop out the floor trim and A pillar foot well trim and see if there's anything obvious.

If you do have the "key stuck" problem, put it back in drive, turn on sidelights, foot on brake and back to park. Remove key then lights off (then on-off if you want to turn off follow-me-home and don't have it on your key fob).

Nice update from Mikey, thank you. Thumbs Up

Post #10513628th Feb 2013 12:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ok! Disco Mikey you are a genius! I have just had a closer look, and after cutting off some binding tape I found the said splice deep in the loom. To say it was corroded is an understatement. This is obviously a bodge applied at the factory, with a crimped splice just wrapped in tape. Mine was just full of green powder and the thin wire had detached completely. I have trimmed back the wires and joined them up with a short piece of wire (to make the ends meet) and used water proof heat shrunk connectors. Fault now gone. I suggest anyone has a look at this as it is obviously a future fail point. I have some photos that I will upload later.

Post #10514248th Feb 2013 2:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Here you go, one shows what you are looking for, the other where it is. It will be buried deep in the core of the loom, and you need to remove the black cloth binding tap to get to it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #10514858th Feb 2013 4:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Bow down

Post #10515418th Feb 2013 6:05 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Amazing that you've found this. Should be put on the wiki-as this is going to be a frequent issue I believe. The loom is on a place that is exposed to wet/moist conditions a lot.
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #10517268th Feb 2013 8:59 pm
madpan

Greece 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Greetings from Greece!

I have a 2008 TDV6 HSE, (my fourth Disco since 1994 and left hand drive obviously!) and two days ago we went through a cataclysmic rain and of course my beloved Disco flooded through the sunroof... At first i noticed just a few drops on the transmission lever/centre console but otherwise vehicle operated normally.
Next day engine fired up BUT the Gear Shifter could not move out of Park and there was the "usual" set of faults: "F" indicated on the screen instead of "P", as well as transmission and suspension faults.

The Lo/Hi range operated normally and switched readily between the two gears once i manually moved the shifter from Park to Neutral. Suspension appeared to operate normally (car stayed more or less level and at the right height) and HDC switched on and off but the Terrain Responce was off - no lights whatsoever.

I checked the mats and guess what; everything was soaked! Went through the cables under the sill trims both Left and Right side to find the notorious crimping but it was no-where to be found (my car is a Left Hand Drive so i assume that the cable you refer to should be on the right side somewhere downstream from the fusebox).

The unusual findings I noticed where:
-a GREY wire, 0.50mm, with a stripped end that was hanging loose under the fusebox
- some blue salty deposits on the Printed Circuit Board under the Terrain Response rotary switch

Also checked the units behind the battery in the engine bay but all connections appeared to be clean and in good order

Any ideas?

Post #106167924th Feb 2013 6:36 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sorry Madpan, sounds like it may be a different problem as you don't get the "F" with this wiring fault. Sounds more like the water may have worked down the A-Pillar and found it's way onto the Transmission Control Module that sits behind your battery. OR that you have water in one of the CANBUS connectors behind the wheelarch trims

Have a look here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic54001.html

Coincidentally my fault has popped up again so off outside with the soldering iron and some heatshrink to replace the corroded section of wiring on mine.

Post #10650472nd Mar 2013 12:16 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Well that took a little longer than expected Shocked

Fault in wiring exactly as described by Gareth and Disco Mikey Bow down

Takes a bit of time and head scratching to get all the trim out of the way though, and had to cut back 2-3" on the doubled-up section of cable as so badly corroded. All back together and working as it should now, so on to the next job on the list

Huge thanks to Gareth and Mike Thumbs Up

Post #10651242nd Mar 2013 3:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >