Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Windscreen change out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Windscreen change out

Has anyone replaced the all singing and dancing windscreen with a standard replacement? or does anyone know if the sensor is in the glass or part of the mirror housing?
I am ready for number 6 in 31/2 years, All were replaced under the lease insurance, however, at approx $2000 per screen, even they were starting to crack Rolling Eyes My intention is to put in a standard screen and to hell with the auto wipers and lights...I know where I can turn those on. But what are the issues??
Thanks
Tony

Post #55175516th Nov 2009 1:53 am
gbl120755

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

When I bought my SE from a dealer S/H they had replaced the screen with an after market one that was supposed to have worked to same as the OEM screen (ie: auto wipers etc)

Unfortunately the auto wipers did not work. Worse there is no intermittent wipers at all.

LR replaced it under statutory warranty with an OEM screen and now everything works.
 2005 SE TDV6, white; remapped to 185Kw; Black widow drawers & cargo barrier; underbody radiator guard; Mitchell bros tow hitch; rhino roof racks; Traxide duel battery system; GME 3440 UHF; Alpine W502 entertainment unit with front & rear camera, HiTv GPS & Hema off-road maps.  
Post #55435221st Nov 2009 12:55 am
sbarnham

Australia 
Crack in Screen

Guys,

I finally have to replace my front screen, after many chips, finally one has turned into a large crack.

Insurance company sent a "economy" windscreen crew around, but they took one look at the electronics and ran away. Said to use the claim number for Windscreens O'brien or Dealer.

Do people have experience with either Obrien's or dealers when replacing their screens ? I want a genuine.

Bye,
Scott
 New MY15 TDv6 D4 in Buckingham Blue

Previously 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue
- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Previously 1999 TD5 in Blenheim Silver 

Post #55464522nd Nov 2009 6:12 am
stevo

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Obrien do a replacement geniun screen with the cost automatically claimed through your insurance. Just make sure they replace the clips for the two side moulds so that they dont fly off at high speed.
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #55729128th Nov 2009 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Followed up this through a windscreen supplier / "manudfacturer" in Perth, and guess what?...there IS an aftermarket screen available across the range, with and without sensor, and with or without heating.
The sensor replacement screen...packed for transport...was quoted at $550, supply and fit at $690.
Novus...when presented with the information went from "there are no alternatives to the LR screen" to "Yes we can supply those, but we have had some issues with the sensor".
I'm not saying anybody is ripping of anybody (insurance), but if I was to pay for one myself...then $600 is better the $2K. And if the sensor ever became an issue...pfft, I know of this switch on the column, it can turn the wipers on and off...it's a beaut.

Post #55761229th Nov 2009 5:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >