DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Windscreen / Panoramic Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
logical001

United Kingdom 
Windscreen / Panoramic Replacement

Hi there,

Would just like to thank all the previous posters on here re: Windscreens.

Autoglass are replacing a wrongly fitted Fuyao windscreen to the car back in late October 2017. The screen was replaced while I was in the office so didn't know what was being installed or in fact know it was an issue NOT having Pilkington / OEM. It came to my attention after the auto wipers didn't seem to work correctly / as well.

Anyway, Autoglass have made a note NOT to fit anything other than OEM or Pilkinton Optikool to D4's from now on Very Happy . In fact the inspector that came out knew of the issue and apologised profusely and has requested OEM!! He even said the Evoque has the same issue!

So fair play to Autoglass in Aston Birmingham. Thumbs Up

Kindest,

Jonathan

Ps. the chap that came out was involved with the 200+ panoramic roof changes when there was a recall on the bonding by JLR. Autoglass where the company that did the recall on their behalf (even though they had to wear JLR overalls while doing them. Again, he said if you ever need to get this (sizeable) piece of glass changed, it has to be OEM.
Again, there are none OEM version but they are NOT the correct size which is an issue on cars with roof rails.

Post #189056815th Dec 2017 1:25 pm
trevorb1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Well fitting oem has clearly not filtered through to main booking office as when I requested oem last friday they said it would be whatevere their supplier had and that it wouldnt be "pilkington optikool" as they are not available. Eventually they contacted my insurance company who have agreed to a LR branded optikool to be fitted. Currently scheduled for next thursday for fitting so will see what they turn up with.

Post #189057815th Dec 2017 2:01 pm
logical001

United Kingdom 

Yes... the chap who came out said this is now being added / pushed through at the moment as they have now removed enough of the wrong screens!

Kindest,

Jonathan

Post #189058015th Dec 2017 2:08 pm
Scottbrad

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Re: Windscreen / Panoramic Replacement

logical001 wrote:
Autoglass are replacing a wrongly fitted Fuyao windscreen to the car back in late October 2017. The screen was replaced while I was in the office so didn't know what was being installed or in fact know it was an issue NOT having Pilkington / OEM. It came to my attention after the auto wipers didn't seem to work correctly / as well.

How was it wrongly fitted? I've just had my windscreen replaced with a Fuyao and I believe mine isn't fitted as well as the original was, especially around the top of the screen, seems more of a gap.
 Cheers Scott.  
Post #192016628th Feb 2018 3:22 pm
logical001

United Kingdom 

They fitted a Fuyao to mine and the rain sensor didn't work correctly (confirmed by Autoglass and LR dealer as well). It is due to glass thickness / wavelength not the same as on correct Pilkington stuff.
Also I noticed more of a gap at the top too. If using Autoglass there should be a note on their systems not to fit it this stuff to LR4's as I raised hell and a formal complaint when they brought the same again. If stuck then speak to the senior tech Dave at the Aston (Birmingham Branch) and mention me.

In the end they refunded back my £75 quid insurance contribution as an apology.
It just a shame you have to go through this (painful) process!

Kindest

Jonathan

Post #192017528th Feb 2018 3:39 pm
sailormike

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I sent auto glass away twice when they turned up with the Chinese screen even after telling them I wanted pilkington.

They eventually turned up ten days ago with a Land Rover branded pilkington screen. All done with out having to go back to Admiral after making contact with auto glass through them.

Off the record the fitter was not a fan of the Fuyao glass.
 Disco 4
Burstner motorhome
BMW 225e (only 1/2 way to electric) 

Post #192021328th Feb 2018 5:15 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I was stuck with the cheap Fuyoa glass as my D3 was too old to justify Pilkington apparently. To be honest it has been fine, not noticed any real difference. Was told I could have pilkington but would have to pay a load of cash for it
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #192029228th Feb 2018 7:28 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Some Land Rover branded windscreens are made by Fuyao.

Post #192031328th Feb 2018 8:09 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

That’s what they told me. Couldn’t be arsed to fight with them to be honest.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #192031628th Feb 2018 8:12 pm
logical001

United Kingdom 

Indeed... it is MUCH cheaper glass for Autoglass to buy Chinese. I have no issue with something not having the LandRover brand on if it is the same part to the same spec. When something causes the car not to work correctly then that a different matter.

The Chinese stuff is being fitted as OEM on the newer models but this was never made in China for the LR4.

With Autoglass the call handlers (read loss adjusters) did everything they could to avoid sending either Pilkington or the OEM. Indeed they tried the same trick with the Panoramic roof (again a 3rd party brand which was ever so slightly the wrong size and no plastic GPS holder bonded into the glass which the genuine oem one has.

After I threatened them with getting NFU involved they backed off.

Just to be clear, all the fitters / tech's are great guys (especially working out of Aston) it is their call centre / adjusters that think they know better whom are the issue. In my case they seemed to know better despite their own fitters, LandRover and myself telling them what they were ordering is wrong!

Kindest,

Jonathan

Post #192032228th Feb 2018 8:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >