Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

wine spill (smells after several months)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
peter.c

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
wine spill (smells after several months)

A relation kindly placed some wine bottles in the D3 two winters ago. They rolled around in the boot, till one smashed. (I wasn't in the car). Remedial shampooing makes no difference to the carpet, and the smell is akin to musty ransid milk and a compost tip ! Any suggestions as to cleaning substance that will dispatch the bacteria that have got hold, that preferably doesn't leave a taxi smell. I normally use Autoglymn interior shampoo, then a rug doctor from Homebase to rinse and hoover. Don't ever carry wine bottles loose !!

Post #51078323rd Aug 2009 9:29 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

The outlaws swear by "Wine Away' but wonder whether the passage of time may fox it. A pm to jkp might be in order, should he not see this thread.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #51079923rd Aug 2009 10:05 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Peter
Boiling water, add Bicarb of Soda until the solution saturates and soak area with the solution as hot as you can handle.
My daughter threw up spectacularly in my brand new BMW years ago - it worked perfectly, no scent, nothing – kills the bacteria and food source that make the smell rather than masking it

Post #51080023rd Aug 2009 10:07 pm
wojteksz

Poland 

peter
the simple trick is to use groud cofee: take 500g pack, open and spread generously over the area, close the car. Came again next day and repeat the procedure. Should be over if not repeat again.
This trick is used by air crew when there are different spills or similar problems while airborne Wink
i have successfully used it to get rid of the smell of a chicken pieces left for 3 weeks in the trunk while we went for summer holidays - took me a week but i succeded.
regards
 Wojtek  
Post #51318430th Aug 2009 12:38 am
Ken

Bio Brisk is the trades answer Thumbs Up

Post #51320530th Aug 2009 10:30 am
jkp

Scotland 

Bio brisk as Ken says. That was the item I gave you advice on in the email you sent me last week. Thumbs Up

I have Brisk in stock, but may not have a powerful enough enzyme in it eat your problem, as it will be the bacteria that is living in the stain that is causing the smell.

Post #51322030th Aug 2009 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peter.c

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thank you everyone for some good ideas. There is a supply of Land Rover branded coffee at our Land Rover Experience Chilterns centre that I could try, when I am back there this week! However, the wine spilt down the carpet from the corner of the luggage area, over the wheel arch to the floor, under the rear seat, then along to the other side of the car along the carpet join. Such a big area might be easiest to douse with Biobrisk , so I'll find out the nearest rep on Tuesday. My last attempt was with a Scandinavian made ozone generating machine, which I left on for 12 hours inside the car. It left a pungent Chlorine-like smell for a day, but maybe did not penetrate far enough. I also noticed an Autoglym odour eater product for £5-99 at Halfords today, where I bought a tin of Comma air conditioning 'bomb' (for letting off with the air conditioning on and the cabin air filtration element out) which I imagine is the generic item used everywhere. I will report in full, when cure is effected, but I'll try biobrisk first, (testing on samples of claret stained chunks of carpet backing foam), then finish up with the 'bomb' ! P.S. The bottle itself was a commonly known brand of Australian Shiraz, noted for its strength...

Post #51325430th Aug 2009 5:35 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Your main problem is to remove the food source for the bacteria that the 75cc of wine left. You can kill the bacteria temporarily, but they'll be back.

I've used a Kärcher wet/dry carpet cleaner without damaging the carpet too much (some softness is lost). Kärcher make a detergent that smells reasonable. The cleaner pumps the liquid under pressure deep into the carpet fabric, loosens the food source which then gets sucked out by the wet/dry vacuum cleaner.

Used it on my old previa when the carpet was filthy after my in laws used it to transport farm animals Smile)
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #51337730th Aug 2009 10:39 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

to be sure to be sure Embarassed
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #51338030th Aug 2009 10:41 pm
jkp

Scotland 

wojteksz wrote:
peter
the simple trick is to use groud cofee: take 500g pack, open and spread generously over the area, close the car. Came again next day and repeat the procedure. Should be over if not repeat again.
This trick is used by air crew when there are different spills or similar problems while airborne Wink
i have successfully used it to get rid of the smell of a chicken pieces left for 3 weeks in the trunk while we went for summer holidays - took me a week but i succeded.
regards

You being serious? Seriously, you are aren't you....really !! are you?

Not sure I'd like to fly with an airline that does not carry biological cleaning agents should a passenger puke. Most will carry ones that will kill most nasty bacteria in body fluids. Not sure coffee would kill the bacteria that breeds from vomit or any other bio-fluids that may be lost in flight. Confused Although saying that I have tasted coffee that could probably do the job Whistle

Post #51341330th Aug 2009 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fish

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had this recomended for sick so would probebly workk. Pour white wine vinegar on the spill and rub in mopping up the excess. Leave a 1/2 onion in overnight while it dries out to remove smell.

Apparently it is superb, but I have no personnal experience.

Post #5145702nd Sep 2009 7:08 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Fish, Are you sure that the Readers Digest you got this from didn't have the pages for a recipe and a household tip stuck together? Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5145752nd Sep 2009 7:31 pm
Fish

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

Was told it by a mate who had used it to get rid of his kids puke...he did say it worked very well!

Post #5160095th Sep 2009 8:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >