Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Winter Drain Down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I found a way was to open all the valves taps etc, then blow up a large balloon and fit it it over a closed tap... open the tap and the air would push a decent amount of water out of the the other taps, I found this worked as it had continual air instead of stop starting when trying to blow down the tap.. I repeated this a couple of times... even got the kids to help by blowing up the balloons
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #187780210th Nov 2017 6:45 am
Bazalab

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Water draining down - Caravan

Following on this tread the link below explains the reason why I will be using one of these from now on!

Hope this helps.

Bazalab

Post #187836911th Nov 2017 6:47 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I do mine after every outing.

Post #187838511th Nov 2017 7:15 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

That's a great series of videos and I've been wondering whether or not to buy a floe system since I watched it a few weeks ago. I can't help wondering though if the residual water, over the whole length of the system has more than enough room to expand with a frost? So if I've drained down the hot water tank and run the pump dry as normal, would 800ml to 1 litre of water over the length of all the pipes really cause any damage if ice expands the volume of water by around 9%?
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #187839211th Nov 2017 7:44 pm
OJ

Scotland 
Re: Water draining down - Caravan

Bazalab wrote:
Following on this tread the link below explains the reason why I will be using one of these from now on!

Hope this helps.

Bazalab

Well, another school day, I always do as most of the others when leaving site, open all the valves, taps etc and assume everything’s drained out on the journey home, at the start of the season sterilise everything and flush out, just watched the excellent video about FLOE, I’m impressed, will look into this further then decide, mind you cant be doing too bad I’ve only being doing the same routine for 38 years without any issues, (not the same van tho Laughing )
Good topic Thumbs Up
OJ

Post #187839911th Nov 2017 7:58 pm
Bazalab

Re: Water draining down - Caravan

I am taking the view that some water at least will always remain somewhere in the system in hot or cold tanks/boiler/shower head/taps and so on unless driven out fully. If the Alde boiler blows that's money in spite of what the water may do to the inside of the van and any contents perhaps!

Other issue is not covered by insurance as policy is bound to exclude frost damage so for £45 notes or whatever it's a no brainer to me that's why I put the video link up.

Bazalab

Post #187840711th Nov 2017 8:15 pm
Sudds

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Decided to bite the bullet and have bought the drain down kit, so will give it a go and see how much more water I get out, had some pressure from SWMBO, she said it's better to be safe than sorry, and she does know best Smile

Post #187849712th Nov 2017 9:11 am
Gazzdid

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well I have to say I had never heard of these gadgets, and have always just opened taps/drain valve before leaving site and steralised at the beginning of the season.
After watching the video linked above I think I will be investing in one of these! Not so much because of the residual water (My van does not have an internal boiler to damage and I flush the water well before first use) but mainly because of the state of the water he fetched out! wow! Makes me wonder what is lurking in my pipework! Shocked

Post #189528330th Dec 2017 12:58 am
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

About the time of year to think about complete blow down. Version I made myself when replaced pump and filling hose it was not nice inside the blue pipe Shocked

Post #199487225th Oct 2018 4:03 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
Open drain, open taps, open cupboard and locker doors inside, open fridge, close blinds. That's all I do.

Dont forget to drain the toilet flush tank
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #199492025th Oct 2018 5:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bazalab

Winter Drain Down

Hi Guys

A simple update - just used the Floe unit to drain down my Buccaneer caravan for first time since taking delivery in March. Van well used during summer and will be again shortly.

After usual draining down on site before last journey home (130 miles) earlier this month I still managed to blow 1.5 pints of water out this morning.

That amount of water could cause real damage in the event of freezing and proves to me that vans are totally at risk if not drained down correctly - the open taps when driving home principle simply does not work!

Anyway, only inconvenience was again having to keep going back to the car pump outside to repressurise for each tap opening - will devise simple pipe extension so can use from within the van to avoid this.

Well worth £42.90 that I paid for the Floe Unit!

Post #19988688th Nov 2018 4:52 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

That reminds me I must go and do the same to my Adria. I bought the Floe device last winter and only got about 200ml out. I guess if that 200ml is in the Alde boiler it could still cause considerable damage.

Post #19989058th Nov 2018 6:38 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The draining down by leaving the taps open on the way home works well enough IMHO.

I've had my van for 10 years and never had a problem with frozen taps/pipes/pumps/w.h.y.

Also, horror of horrors, I don't sterilise the system at the start of the season - I let the chlorine in the tap water do that job for me.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #199936010th Nov 2018 2:16 pm
Washwipe

England 

Been away since Thursday, back today, final trip for this year, opened the valves and taps onsite, 120 miles and two and a half hours, arrived home, just connected the Floe.

That was the second glass, the first pint I poured down the sink.

Post #200195919th Nov 2018 1:59 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I endorse the "pint and a half" findings. Possibly more as I usually just dump it down the drain, but trying to catch it today there was a bit of splatter, so need to add on capacity of one wet cloth.

I still hear bubbling noises even though only air is coming out, so I think we are all relying on the limited expansion of water freezing to be accomodated by the flexibility of pipes and air space around any remaining water.

Another thing to remember is, if you have an onboard cold storage, to blow into there as well.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #200201419th Nov 2018 4:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >