Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Wiring lightbar to main beam circuit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DarylCox

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Wiring lightbar to main beam circuit

Afternoon all.

I have purchased a lightbar which comes with a pre made loom.

this works great is i simply wire direct to the battery and works independently from the switch.

what i would like to do is have this only work when the main beam is on and therefore the switch can still work so i can choose if the lightbar comes on with the main beam or not.

I tried taking the positive feed directly from the blue/black lead behind the headlight which i thought worked but after a couple of goes stopped all together so my suspicion is i have broken the switch or the relay Smile.

however purchased another loom and now want to make sure i get some advice before trying again.

crude drawing time.

i have attached two diagrams, the first is how the loom is wired now and the second is what i think i need to do but before i go cutting the loom just want to verify.

i think everything remains the same but need to change one wire on the switch to use the main beam feed rather than the positive feed it has currently.

Am i right?

thanks for your help

Post #221091715th Feb 2021 2:32 pm
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looks right. I did the same at the weekend, snipped the live switch feed at the relay, extended a bit and teed it onto the blue/slate for the high beam. Switch only active once high beams are on.
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #221099915th Feb 2021 6:41 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Only bit of advice...had similar issue on my horsebox whereby we were trying to create reversing lights but also having the ability to switch the rear lights on independently as a horse loading ramp lights....ended up doing it with two five contact relays....which was a headache...

Unfortunately one of the relays blew after a couple of years and left the lights permanently on.... which meant the girls were blinding everyone behind them with floodlights on them...quickly resolved by a knowing person pulling the wires off the relays solving the problem....

That left me with a total nightmare trying to replace them and trying to find out which wire went where...

The moral of the story you can buy on amazon inexpensive relays with hard wired plugs which you can solder on to your wiring... that way if a relay goes you just pull it off the plug and plug in the new replacement relay....
you can also buy the relay wiring plugs on their own....

Post #221100415th Feb 2021 7:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >