DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

At my witts end... C1A20-64 error
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Drakx

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3
At my witts end... C1A20-64 error

Hi,

I’ve been getting this error for a little while first it was intermittent then it started to show nearly every day, so I ordered a master repair kit for the compressor. Once I changed all the seals, cap, etc, etc I put the compressor back in and still got the same codes after I cleared them.

So, I figured I’d follow this guide: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic84165-195.html
I even replaced the air reservoir tank at the same time, replaced the relay as good measure. Again I cleared the codes and after about 5 mins of running the same error code displayed again.

I don’t know what it could be, as when I spray soapy water on the springs and the valve block next to the compressor I don’t see any air leaks. Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions what I can try next?
I’ve seen people on the forums suggest to pull the fuse and leave it over night which I plan on doing Sunday and then checking the height on the car on Monday after work to see if it’s dropped, I plan on doing this test for extended height and normal height modes.

TLDR; New AMK compressor, new Air reservoir tank, new relay and soapy water test (no leak detected) - Still get same code.

Thanks

Post #221416227th Feb 2021 10:17 pm
Drakx

Update, I did the leak test and it didn't move. I've reset the error codes and while it's on the drive it doesn't throw any errors, so I figured it fixed itself it didn't!
1 mile into the drive and bong suspension fault again Big Cry

When I checked the error code it was the same as the title C1A20-64.

I don't know what else I can check/change, any advice would be grate.

Post #22147312nd Mar 2021 3:07 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Post #22147532nd Mar 2021 4:38 pm
Drakx

Thanks for the reply Admirable.
Something odd has happened, in my last post, I said that the suspension light came on again within a mile of driving. What I didn't say was that I cleared the codes (this time rather than turning the engine off and clearing, I kept it running)

I then left the car to stand for two hours and decided to give it another go, low and behold the light hasn't returned (fingers & toes crossed it stays like that), to make sure it wasn't a fluke I decided to take it for a 20-mile spin and not once did it bring a suspension fault!

The compressor turns on and off after it hits 1700 ish kpa (sorry I don't remember the exact number) not sure what's gone on, but if the same thing happens tomorrow after it's been stood tonight I'll call it done until my IID tool arrives and I can update the software.

Post #22147952nd Mar 2021 8:45 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #22148683rd Mar 2021 9:46 am
Metal_Detective

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

I recently had exactly the same fault code and symptoms. Luckily I had a spare compressor which I supported on an unturned bucket and hooked it up to the 2 electrical connectors and the air output pipe.
This allowed a stationary test that confirmed the cause of the fault code was the compressor.
Annoyingly the 'faulty' compressor was my original I had just refurbished with all the kits available and the working compressor was one I was given by an ex-discovery owner.
Now my refurbished compressor is back on the bench waiting a pst mortem of sorts.
 2016 D4 SDV6 Landmark
2006 D3 TDV6 manual (deid)
2003 D2 TD5 manual on B100 (sold)
1998 300TDi manual (sold)
1994 300TDi manual (sold)
1972 Range Rover manual, Perkins engine (sold)
1966 S IIA truck cab, broke in half (sold as a kit) 

Post #22149283rd Mar 2021 2:01 pm
Drakx

I honestly don’t know what’s going on with the compressor but so far so good since resetting with the engine running, the car lowers and raises fine without an issue, so I’ll call this as done.

Just waiting on my IID tool so I can do the software update.

Post #22150784th Mar 2021 8:18 am
Drakx

Hey,

Rather than start yet another thread about Air suspension, I figured I'd just add to this.

So, I got the bong again, checked using the IID tool and got the same code as last time, so, I decided that I'd start to rebuild the valves as I noticed I had been getting drops, I started with the front which went fine, I moved to the middle and as soon as I opened the block, I saw the orange o ring had been damaged.

I figured that was the cause of the drop and stopped as time was knocking on since I was blanking the EGRs at the same time, I also replaced a couple of busted rubber pipes with silicone ones, anyway at this point the car is on its knees as you'd expect from deflating all the system.

Once the pressure switch and reservoir block had been rebuilt I decided to start the car fully expecting a 'bong' from the suspension, which I got. No surprise there, I cleared the code and started the car again, 'bong' suspension fault again, so, I checked the fault code and found I had C1A13-64 (AF) code, but I also noticed the compressor didn't turn on, so I checked the connections which were all fine.

I did a quick search of the forums and found a useful bit of information about jumping the relay to see if the compressor turned on, sure enough, the compressor turned on, so I pulled the compressor off and checked the valve solenoid as another search suggested this could be the issue, this appeared fine, however with that said I don't know it's normal operation.

So, I reattached the compressor hoping that it might just work, yeah.. as you'd expect it did nothing, the car still on the bump stops.

I'm now at the point, where I'm looking to convert to springs, however again after a number of threads on the forums, it seems like the conversion would be illegal for my car as it's the 7 seater.

After doing the reading, I've decided it's probably best to start a suspension overhaul, my question is do I need to take the body off to replace all the airlines? I figure it's probably best to do the overhaul since I've already replaced the compressor and reservoir tank, middle block valve with pressure switch and front block valve rebuild kit.

I'm going to be ordering the AMK exhaust repair kit with solenoid today from 4x4airseals.com.

I'd also appreciate it if someone could give me a lesson on how this system works as in, what order from the compressor starting to the system up and running. I've also read there could be an electrical problem under the NS plastics, which I'll check this weekend.

Sorry for the long post, figured I'd give as much information as I could in the hopes someone could point out the obvious that I'm missing and if I really do need to remove the body to change the airlines.

Thanks.

Post #221931322nd Mar 2021 9:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >