DISCO4.COM > General

Worried owner to be
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Worried owner to be

Hi,

I put my deposit down on a new Discovery S 2.7 (manual) before I found this website.

After reading about alot of the problems with the new discovery (on here) I have started to worry about what I am spending my hard earned £33k on.

Are these problems (suspension, handbrake, FBH problems etc.) common or are they rare.

Please could you give me back some faith that the Disco is a good purchase and I am not throwing my money away.

I will be using the Disco mainly for towing a caravan. Can anyone on here let me know how good it is for towing? (I have heard rummors that the Disco suffers from a floaty feeling when towing).

Cheers

Marc

Post #93021st Feb 2005 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Re: Worried owner to be

Marc,

marc wrote:
Hi,
Are these problems (suspension, handbrake, FBH problems etc.) common or are they rare.

For me they are common. In fact 100% of my cars have had a suspension problem!

You see, therein lies the rub - you read individuals' experiences. Out of the 24 cars my dealer has sold., 2 have come back with a problem (mine is still in teh shop 2 weeks later). For the others, 0% problem.

If you trust your dealer, go ahead and enjopy the car. It is a great vehicle and any teething problems will be taken care of.

Michael

Post #93121st Feb 2005 9:45 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hi Marc,

Dont be put off by our ramblings on here, the car really is superb and I for one haven't any really big issues, other than the FBH, which we all found as an extra bonus, yet not on LR specifications - regarding timer setting etc...

Yes there have been a few foibles, and for a car of this complexity it really isnt all that much, especially at launch time. Mechanically and software wise I have no faults at all.

As for towing, last weekend I had a very large twin axle trailer on the back laden with a lot of weight. Bearing in mind I have a TDV6 HSE (Auto) it pulled away as if there was nothing there and throughout the journey (to the dump) this was the easiest I've ever towed. Check out some of the LR owners magazines and there is a towing feature, a they sing the D3's praises. No wonder this car has WON towing car of the year, try it and you certainly wont be disappointed.

Have faith, and you too could experience some of the little LR features, but in general these are nothing to worry about. Most if not all of the problems are from those who took deliver immediately after launch. I took delivery in January and no problems at all. LR have put in place an extensive quarrentine to stop most if not all foibles now, so yours is more than likley not to experience the "features" mentioned here.

Smile

Post #93221st Feb 2005 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Yes, this is a VERY, VERY capable vehicle...BUT... you have to take no prisoners with the dealers if you have any problems and my experiene of LR CS is well documented on this forum.
The FBH was specified in the original dealer sheets ( I still have mine) and most other problems appear to be electronic related, but the biggest problem seems to be the attitude that I for one have encountered from LR CS which is unaceptable for vehicles in the £30 - 50k bracket. Instead of resolving issues they just argue with the customer!, but perhaps I am spoiled from experience with top German car manufacturers!
I would recommend proceeding but to get a very clear specification of what you are expecting from the vehicle - check issues on this site - and have the dealer agree in writing what will happen if there are problems eg loan vehicle, replacement of more than x days to fix etc. If they aren't keen on that you should read what you want into it! Wink

Post #93321st Feb 2005 10:00 pm
Cocker

Marc,

I took delivery of my 'S' the middle of December and it broke down within 24hrs !!. I couldn't believe it, I don't normally spend 30K + on a car when I only do about 8K miles a year but decided to treat myself, so I was in a state of shock....HOWEVER.....my dealer treated me like royalty while the car was being fixed and if I could go back in time, I'd buy another D3 !!.

I think the general consensus on here is that mechanical faults are, so far, almost non-existent. The issues all seem to be electronic/software related and will be resolved as LR get to grips with the teething problems. I to have been spoiled with previous German Customer Service and find LR's response time to faults raised frustrating. At the time of writing my only gripe is the FBH one, I can't set it to come on and heat my cabin up in the mornings. Although annoying, it certainly hasn't stopped me enjoying the car. I think it's fantastic and have no hesitation in telling you you've made a good choice !!. Enjoy.

Post #93622nd Feb 2005 9:17 am
Pelyma

England 

The caravan magazines did give it a bit of a mauling, particularly complaining about a wallowy feeling when towing and not knowing what gear to be in. I have to say I haven't towed my caravan with it yet, but I have had no real issues, beyond the day I picked it up, switching it off and ack on cured it no problem.

The caravan magazines always seem to give LR a tough time - i wouldn't take too much from their views. The car is great, judging by me pulling a stuck V70 out last week a caravan isn't going to worry it in even the worst of situations. I don't know the fully laden weight of a V70 with half a dozen dogs and 4 people in deep mud, but it pulled it out along a track with no effort at all, the torque is incredible.

My dealer has been great all the way through also, although previous experiences with LR customer service makes me think they should be done for misrepresentation Laughing

Post #93822nd Feb 2005 10:22 am
marc

Thank you for all your replies.

I think I have made the right choice getting a Disco 3.

At the end of the day it is bound to be a much better towcar than my Seat Toledo 1.9 110bhp diesel.

Can anyone tell me what is in the centre of the dash on the S seeing that there isn't sat nav??..... Is it just a hole??

Cheers again.

Marc.

P.S. Only three weeks to go.... I can't wait Very Happy
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #98723rd Feb 2005 2:56 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Yes - a hole.

Post #98923rd Feb 2005 3:06 pm
Cocker

Marc,
It's another cubby hole/shelf with the nobbly, non-slip, mat. Actually looks alright. Handy for the sunglasses, mobile & stuff.....

Post #99123rd Feb 2005 3:09 pm
marc

Hi,

Just to let you all know.... the dealer rang me today and said that I could have my car next Thursday or Friday Very Happy Very Happy

The only catch (and only difference) is that I have to pay for the roof rails that are fatory fitted on this Disco.

I decided that it was a good idea otherwise I would have to wait until 23rd ish of March for the Disco he originally ordered.

So I am really excited and can't wait until next Thursday (or possible Friday).

I hope you don't mind me sharing my joy with you all.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #106224th Feb 2005 11:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Marc,

Don't forget to ask the dealer to show you the Settings Menu in the Trip Computer and also see if he says the FBH is programmable.

Let me know.

Cheers,

-s

Post #106324th Feb 2005 11:43 pm
FamilyMan

I asked about the FBH programmability 8) (say that after a glass or two) and he said yes and no. LR use the pre-heat & cool setting for parts of the world that need it, so I'm guessing any Eskimo's or Aboriginis with a Disco on order are in luck. LR don't intend to enable it for European cars apparently, but you never know with future updates and so on.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #106425th Feb 2005 9:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >