Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Is this worth further investigation ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
RogB

United Kingdom 

love the gratuitous pic Thumbs Up ............ I mean why else would there be a sand mode on TR if you weren't going to use it Laughing

I remember the days of cleaning out Defenders after trips abroad. Full of sand, and in some cases centipedes and lizards Laughing

Post #206386425th Jun 2019 10:20 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

RogB wrote:
Wondered if you would be on here Laughing How are you finding your D4 Ron?

The minute i got in it I realised what I'd been missing for all those years.
FL2 was a good enough car, but now in hindsight (for me) not a patch on the D4.
That is where I really belong ...... and I've now got my permagrin back. Mr. Green
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #206386525th Jun 2019 10:23 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

I love FL2, they are a great all rounder, relatively cheap to run and as reliable as any other 'normal' car out there but way more practical.

However ive just been away for a weekend in the Yorkshire Peaks with my son and my dog, back seat was full of gear, and with a roof box on too.
Im away in a couple of weeks again with my daughter, her boyfriend, and my dog down to Devon, so ive had to fork out for a small 2nd hand trailer as well as the roof box.

These trips don't happen very often but the FL2 actually isn't big enough for when they do happen.

The D4 will be more than adequate, especially as I can rig up a split level boot for kit underneath and the dog higher up (with a dog guard/cage of course)

the downside is that I currently commute 60miles a day plus local driving etc (20k miles pa) so the D4 could work out very expensive to keep on the road. However my work place could/will be moving to York next September which means a train commute for me and my mileage goes down to 20 miles a day to the station and back. Much more acceptable running costs and luckily I rarely, if ever, drive into big towns so ULEZ charges wont affect me at all.

decisions decisions decisions Whistle

Post #206386825th Jun 2019 10:42 am
ronp

Appreciate your predicament Rog.

The extra sizing in the D4 is a huge step up on the FL2.
I just moved home [from York] 3 months ago and as I'm still getting sorted out in the new house I've a container full of furniture & boxes.
When I go to collect stuff, the D4 just swallows up these big boxes.
You can even fit a double airbed in the back and sleep two up [& I'm 6' 1"]

Oh, and don't forget the ride .... the D4 floats on a cushion of air.

Nice looking D4 you're interested in, mine too is Corris and [unsurprisingly] I've already 'black packed" mine [before & after pic in gallery].
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #206389225th Jun 2019 12:08 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

does look nice in black pack.... you upgraded the wheels as well ?

the good thing about the back of the D4 is that I could get a couple of mountain bikes upright in there instead of messing around with racks on the back. Make things a lot easier for our usual standard trips out to local forests etc round where I live.

now stop trying to twist my arm !!! Rolling with laughter

Post #206389725th Jun 2019 12:25 pm
ronp

Yep, wheels upgraded to the same Style 511 20" wheels that should've come with the D4 !
Bought them at same time - prev owner had changed to 19's.
So got a nice set of Style 704 split spokes with tyres I'll be moving out.

I too mountain bike, changing late last year to an e-mountain bike.
So whereas the bike used to hang off the tailgate, I'm now using a towbar mounted rack.
But when it was on the FL2 I couldn't get into the tailgate [without having to partly dismantle the rack], which wasn't worth it.
However with the D4 I can open the top tailgate with bike rack attached and access my all my kit.......
.... yet another reason to get a D4. Laughing
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #206390625th Jun 2019 12:47 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

ive just switched from a GT to a Marin but the Marin is longer than the GT due to the different geometry and both were/are 22'' frames on 27.5 wheels so stand pretty high... no chance of fitting in the back of a FL2 even if dismantled, and a basic tow bar carrier means the wheels are only a few inches off the floor, so it was boot mounted rack as the only viable option. (im 6'2'' but still not happy loading bikes on the roof)

The D4 just ticks all the boxes except for the running costs at the minute. Big Cry

Post #206391325th Jun 2019 1:31 pm
ronp

Good stuff. Thumbs Up

We'll stop this chat now Rog, otherwise we'll be asked to get a room!

Laughing
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #206391725th Jun 2019 1:48 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

IE we better continue the bromance by PM. Whistle Whistle

Snigger

Post #206391825th Jun 2019 1:49 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

no bromance... just Freel2.com acquaintances Rolling with laughter

Post #206392125th Jun 2019 2:16 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I did 20k pa for 5 years in a D3 and also for about 5 years in my D4 before I moved roles at work and my mileage dropped to about 5k pa. 14 years ownership in total.

Plus side is a lot of miles means a lot of time in the car - they are a very comfortable place to spend time in and laugh in the face of bad weather.

Cost wise it wasn’t to crippling as the company paid for a large part of my fuel, I was on mostly motorways so tyre life was remarkable at 40k a set and maintenance was expensive- but it was when I was doing much fewer miles. VED at £540 pa - mileage irrelevant, but one of the reasons I moved on.

Both Disco’s were awesome with a family that needed themselves and stuff being moved here there and everywhere - but family have left home now so it made little sense to keep - though I do occasionally miss the space.

If I was in your shoes, I’d go for it
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #206392225th Jun 2019 2:33 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

thanks Adam, fairly similar to my annual driving really. Although my son doesn't live with me anymore, just my daughter, and both have their own cars, I do seem to fold the back seats down frequently on my FL2 for one thing or another. And the dog + cool box + a few things in the boot soon eats into space. Im not a fan of too much stuff on the back seat in case I have to brake hard so prefer it confined behind a guard or similar.

My commute takes me A/B roads through Clumber Park/Thorsby in Nottinghamshire for about 10 miles then onto the A1/M18 for 20 miles, followed by the reverse on the way home. Its the maintenance that im wary of really as there is a lot more weight than a FL2 so suspension takes a beating, and a lot more complex and very expensive things that could go wrong over a FL2 (air suspension, turbo's, egr valves, crankshaft for example)

Just wary of overstretching my finances and ending up with an expensive driveway ornament Shocked

Post #206392925th Jun 2019 3:00 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Only issue above and beyond wear and tear replacement items and standard services was a CSOV that failed (£500) and the Turbo drain pipe mod (£200).
All belts were done (£600) and front suspension (c. £900 IIRC) and a mega-flush (£250)
Rest was all standard stuff.
All above in nearly 9 years and 116k miles
I used to get an oil change every 6 months and was OCD about checking oil level to mitigate crank snapping
Decent Indy worth their weight in gold
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #206394225th Jun 2019 3:31 pm
Pelyma

England 

We had an 07 auto Fl2 from new for 10 years, if you’re doing short journeys there is Censored all difference between my old MY16 D4 and the FL2 in my experience.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #206395025th Jun 2019 3:48 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

adam wrote:
Only issue above and beyond wear and tear replacement items and standard services was a CSOV that failed (£500) and the Turbo drain pipe mod (£200).
All belts were done (£600) and front suspension (c. £900 IIRC) and a mega-flush (£250)
Rest was all standard stuff.
All above in nearly 9 years and 116k miles
I used to get an oil change every 6 months and was OCD about checking oil level to mitigate crank snapping
Decent Indy worth their weight in gold

CSOV ??

ive heard of Turbos going meaning body off and 3-5k to replace but what is the drain pipe mod please? whats the reason behind it and what is the mod?

My old D2 used to have the air con drain pipe located right above the XYZ gear selector so eventually water would seep in and wreck the selector

Post #206408826th Jun 2019 7:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >