Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Is it worth Saving?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Mine went to a well dodgy character in Luxembooooooooourg. Only things I haven’t sold that are of note are the front side air vents and HVAC unit, obviously the most reliable bits on a D3. Whistle Whistle

Post #19719228th Aug 2018 12:59 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You say you haven't got space to strip it but if it's parked off road on your drive for example there's a lot you can strip whilst car remains in situ - think all interior, engine ancillaries, body exterior bolt on parts and trim, etc before you disturb the 'closed shell' with such things as doors and tailgate?

I think that lot would recoup more than selling it as a 'spares or repairs' non runner? What would you get for it now £1500 tops Confused and that is likely to be to someone breaking it and having to factor a return on it?

When it gets to the point your SWMBO or neighbours start complaining just take highest bid on eBay for the rolling shell (or not if the wheels have gone - even then if yours are really good with decent tyres, part ex on the buyers crappy one's just to keep the chassis 'on wheels').

Post #19719408th Aug 2018 1:38 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I keep my old bus going with about £1-2K repairs/maintenance per year, and as a result, it genuinely doesn't feel that much different from when I bought it. It's a bit of a Trigger's Broom - very little is original. If you know the car well and you're confident there are no other significant issues, I'd rather stick a few £K into a car I knew over buying another car with another bunch of problems.

I genuinely love the car. Kind of waiting to see what the next Defender will do (love Land Rovers). Not sure the D5 is for me (until I've seen the Defender), and don't want to switch to the (lovely) XC90.

If I was just stringing it out to get as much value from the car before I went to a D5, I'd strip. If I was simply going to replace with like-for-like, and I knew my current car, I'd stick with it.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #19719918th Aug 2018 3:55 pm
gregwilmot

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks All

I will see what SWMBO says to stripping it but to be honest i'm not sure I have it in me to do. Having pretty much rebuilt my D2 over a period of 9 years I was looking for a quieter motoring life and less spanner time.
I was only ever looking to keeping the D3 for a year as a stop gap to see what the London Mayor and local government were doing re emissions etc.
I need a big car for many reasons and the D3 seemed like a logical upgrade from the D2 but to be hit with Engine failure so soon has tainted my view slightly.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Post #19720178th Aug 2018 4:52 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If I (a complete non techie) can strip the main interior plus some under bonnet bits out of a D3 2,500 miles from home (NW Norway) with just a socket set, few spanner’s and a Leatherman anyone can. Thumbs Up It’s not difficult to get most of the parts out, I ran out of time, energy and space in the D4 that I took up to recover my camping gear but still got most of the high value stuff out. Lots of help, advice, support, peewee taking (all in the best humour), parts requests and general curiosity here, plus you time on your side. And you’re not completely knackered, like I was driving for 4 days, started stripping in the afternoon finishing 1:30am (24/24 daylight), then having 4 more days to drive home with knees presses in dash. Just take your time and don’t worry about asking for advice. Thumbs Up

Post #19720528th Aug 2018 5:30 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Yeah, people will help you out. Particularly those who would like a certain part or two Whistle

Post #19720708th Aug 2018 6:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >