Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Members Helping Members

WTD - Advice - Building a shed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I'm with those that favour timber and also believe that 2.5m may be the limit for an outbuilding rather than an extension.
I believe a downside of wood, is that there is a ground area limit of 15sq metres for constructions using combustible materials. (30sqm for non combustible materials), when close to boundaries.
I'd avoiding metal as it can have condensation problems.

The use of inner sheathing is a great idea as it provides tremendous strength. 9 or 11 mm OSB3 board should be cheaper than 12mm ply but harder to source. OSB3 is much better suited than OSB2.

Insulation is also a good idea but adds to the cost and a vapour barrier, (polythene sheet between sheathing and insulation), should be used to prevent condensation within the structure.

If you are going to lay a 4inch slab you probably need to break up the existing base and blind it with sharp sand. Otherwise the new slab will crack along the line of the old base.
Hard work, so I think I would provide concrete strips parallel to the existing base and use a Polyethylene DPC under the floor joists or ideally raise the shed on single, dry laid, engineering bricks.
Ventilation is a great rot preventive, but this would eat into the height that you want.

Good luck with the project.

Post #116214224th Sep 2013 2:57 am
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I put up a 16' x 10' shed a few years ago and up against boundary fence with neighbour at rear of garden. Height was not a problem though as land is higher on neighbours side so only a few feet of roof could be seen from their side. Had to get planning permission though as , I believe, any shed over 7 cubic mtrs in a conservation area needs permission and I'm in one. Council officer said just submit a drawing/plan of garden and site of propose shed to scale and also a photo from a brochure if you're buying one. All was pretty easy really apart from the fee they charge. Initially they told me I needed plans drawn up by architect or similar but that was rubbish as I queried that with more senior officer who confirmed you don't but scale drawing essential so I did my own.
I bought a "shell" from a supplier in Kent and insulated it myself so now heating with a small radiator is more than adequate to keep it warm. The base was 5 timbers sitting on lined trenches but I knew a couple of road layers who made it look easy re squaring up and correct heights etc but it's not that hard to do. Timbers were 10ft lengths cut and joined together. Suppliers said they could put it up in an afternoon but it took two of us two days for insulation and also second/false floor put in. Solid as a fortress now.
Call your local council planning dept before you do anything and see exactly what they want for permission.
Good luck!

Post #116215724th Sep 2013 7:11 am
Lynr99

United Kingdom 
Sleepers are a good base

I built a double workshop/kennel down my garden. The area I live in is very waterlogged and the shed needed to be off the ground. I purchased 12 railway sleepers and assembled the base on top of them. I am now 5 years down the line and the shed is still bone dry Very Happy

You asked for links. Have you seen this site for some great diy plans and ideas? http://shedbuildplan.com There is no way I could have dreamt of this project of mine without some professional plans

Good luck, hope my tip helps someone!

Post #117497220th Oct 2013 4:26 pm
Tambo

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do you want something like this?

Post #117500320th Oct 2013 5:09 pm
Tambo

Re: WTD - Advice - Building a shed

Bodsy wrote:

Oh and the wife asks if they did corner bricks....... Shocked Shocked

Yes, they're called Quoins Thumbs Up

Post #117501120th Oct 2013 5:16 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That s more like a home office type shed, I'm more along the lines of a big shed Thumbs Up

I'll tell the wife about the Quoins, she'll be happy.... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #117504420th Oct 2013 6:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tambo

It was going to be a shed but I had the uPVC french doors & windows taken off a house I built an extension on so I've made part of it a garden room/office.

Base-100mm concrete slightly deeper round the edges where the walls sit.

Walls- 4"x2" timber studs, 3/8" osb board, breather paper membrane, 2"x 1" timber straps, T&G weather board.

Roof- 6"x2" timber rafters, Timber sarking boards, breather felt, slates.

Fully insulated and plasterboarded inside.

I done everything myself so only had to pay material costs.

Post #117510320th Oct 2013 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >