Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

You've got to be kidding?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Ken

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Moo wrote:
Rolling Eyes The snowflake generation. Lord help us.

S'funny but previous generations thought similar of your generation - obviously with different names/ideas etc.

Young people have always done stuff that their parents etc. don't "get"/like/agree with etc.

The best bits are always to be found watching the reactions of the previous generations. Thumbs Up

Watch My Generation the Documentary narrated by Mr Cain its hilarious for that exact reason

Post #19885443rd Oct 2018 7:27 am
Dave T

England 

Hardware17 wrote:
DSL wrote:
Tell me about it. My niece has a rice husk cup, coz it’s friendly to the oceanic wildlife. Well I don’t throw my plastic cups in the ocean. Rolling Eyes

someone must be doing that … https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06mfk3y?...ntentcard2

Off Topic That was truly horrifying what we have done to this planet

And yes the world has gone bonkers all over, but it never seems to concentrate on important stuff......like plastic
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #19886043rd Oct 2018 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

thought this … https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45729031 … was going to be a response to the criticism of this stupid idea by one of the snowflakes, but it turns out to be a response by someone genuinely affected.

Quote:
"Sometimes I literally just freeze up and I'll just sit there and get more overwhelmed until I end up crying, have a meltdown or run away.
"I'll have a panic attack, feel cold and my vision goes into tunnel vision."

and she's not in favour of the ban either …

Quote:
But Hannah, from Weymouth, Dorset, doesn't agree with a ban on clapping.
Instead she believes the students' union should be putting more effort into raising awareness of autistic people.
"This would not only educate everyone about what to do if someone like me has a meltdown, but also help autistic people feel more accepted.
"You can ban loud noise in one scenario but as soon as you're out of campus you could encounter a loud noise and therefore it's a bit pointless."
She also says it could "breed resentment" if other students start to harbour bad feelings towards autistic people.

Post #19886103rd Oct 2018 12:50 pm
RootinTootin

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Our younger daughter is autistic and we have always worked on the theory that she should adapt/cope with/adjust to the world as we cannot expect it to be altered for her. Noise and certain frequencies used to be a problem and she would have palpitations and almost go into shock were she required to go into her mainstream primary school music class. It was a slow and gradual process of standing outside the door looking in, having the door open etc etc but by the year end she was participating in the school show. A major improvement came as a result of a Speech and Language Therapist suggesting we try Johanssen (not sure of the spelling) Sound Therapy . She had a hearing loss anyway, but the therapy checked which frequencies were absent and which were over sensitive. A tape was made of ‘floaty, relaxing’ (her description) music which she had to listen to before going to sleep each night. The tapes were changed/tweaked every few months and the next time she went to the audiologist they were amazed at the improvement .
She used to watch firework displays with her fingers firmly stuffed in her ears whilst ‘clapping’ with her elbows but now she joins in with the rest with no qualms whatsoever.

Post #19886453rd Oct 2018 3:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm sure that this is an editorial mistake and what the university is actually trying to do is ban students with the clap Laughing

Post #19886463rd Oct 2018 3:15 pm
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #19886883rd Oct 2018 5:26 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

RootinTootin wrote:
Our younger daughter is autistic and we have always worked on the theory that she should adapt/cope with/adjust to the world as we cannot expect it to be altered for her. Noise and certain frequencies used to be a problem and she would have palpitations and almost go into shock were she required to go into her mainstream primary school music class. It was a slow and gradual process of standing outside the door looking in, having the door open etc etc but by the year end she was participating in the school show. A major improvement came as a result of a Speech and Language Therapist suggesting we try Johanssen (not sure of the spelling) Sound Therapy . She had a hearing loss anyway, but the therapy checked which frequencies were absent and which were over sensitive. A tape was made of ‘floaty, relaxing’ (her description) music which she had to listen to before going to sleep each night. The tapes were changed/tweaked every few months and the next time she went to the audiologist they were amazed at the improvement .
She used to watch firework displays with her fingers firmly stuffed in her ears whilst ‘clapping’ with her elbows but now she joins in with the rest with no qualms whatsoever.

Superb description of how to deal with and integrate in mainstream. It should be that way, the individual adapts to everyday life where possible .....hats off to you Rootin Tootin

On the subject though Just plain daft!
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #19886973rd Oct 2018 5:38 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How do these individuals cope with everyday noises like lorries, car horns, pneumatic drills, emergency sirens, kids screaming, laughing, people shouting etc etc.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #19887113rd Oct 2018 6:21 pm
Pelyma

England 

A lot of adults who have autism have coping mechanisms, I went to a talk given by one lady who dealt with it by rewarding herself with goes on a trampoline, there was a film on the BBC recently where one of their employees used a big soft toy. It is a spectrum some some will suffer badly others not so much. Bletchley Park was full of people on the autistic spectrum as they were valued for their different thinking.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #19887163rd Oct 2018 6:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >