Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air-Conditioner Compressor - cost?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stephen

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Air-Conditioner Compressor - cost?

Disco3 HSE 2008 model (57 plate). I bought it seven years ago at one year old and did not need to have the a/c regassed until two months ago, when it gradually failed to cool. I took it to Halfords, whose machine did not detect a leak and they re-gassed it. It worked well until a few days ago when again it gradually failed to cool.
This time I took it to my local LR main dealer who investigated and their customer chap phoned me to say that there was a small leak and that the compressor was "not pumping". The story seemed to me to be possibly garbled in transmission from the mechanic and I asked for further details but they did not get back to me before the weekend. They quoted £1400+ after loyalty discount to replace the compressor, about equally split between parts and labour.
Two questions:
(a) does anyone have experience of similar symptoms and diagnosis and was there in fact a failure of the compressor? (I am wondering whether the pre-garbled story is that the compressor shaft seal is leaking).
(b) is £1400 the right sort of figure to replace the compressor?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Stephen

Post #182523211th Jun 2017 9:08 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Way better to find your local mobile air con guy, bet the l/r tech has just the std a/c machine and doesnt use nitrogen for leak testing.
Has your car car got rear a/c with roof vents?

Post #182523611th Jun 2017 9:14 am
Stephen

Many thanks. I forgot to say that the car does not have the third-row rear a/c option.

Post #182524511th Jun 2017 9:40 am
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had mine replaced 2 years ago (07 HSE with rear aircon 119000 miles) bill for labour was £513 including regas and a few small parts. Compressor was £350 from Advanced Factors.

Aircon has been fine since

I used Green Oval garage near Leeds.

Thumbs Up

Post #182527011th Jun 2017 10:18 am
Stephen

Air-Conditioner Compressor - cost? Update, £1400 saved!

We left it that my local LR main dealer (branch of national chain which had better remain nameless for the time being) had diagnosed a failed a/c compressor and were going to charge £1400 to replace it. I am grateful for your several comments and advice.

Fortunately I did not take up the dealer's £1400 offer and instead called on an independent mobile car a/c chap. He attached an OBD scanner (had the dealer done this I wonder?) which produced a fault code for a failed a/c pressure switch. Pressure switch replaced, a/c re-gassed and it works again.

In the meantime the dealer's PR section had made the usual phone call to ask if I was "satisfied with my visit" and at that time I had no reason not to be. Now I have the usual automated on-line request from LR Customer Services for feedback on my "recent experience at XXX".

Questions: (1) what do I say to LR Customer Services? I'm inclined to put the boot in but I've had decent service from the dealer in the past.
(2) do I take it up with the dealer as well and with what degree of fury/disappointment? E-mail to service manager? Before or after responding to LR Customer Services?

And of course the lessons are always to get a second opinion and, specifically, to check the a/c pressure switch when the compressor appears to have failed.

Stephen

Post #183031825th Jun 2017 12:13 pm
DISCO3HSE2018

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Stephen who was the AC guy you used? I could do with a good independent guy to come and look at one of my cars

Post #19506214th Jun 2018 1:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >