Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Advanced Factors

Free set of RRS or D3 Armoured front lower arms!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Free set of RRS or D3 Armoured front lower arms!

Boringoldgit wrote:
I have purchased a batch of RRS front lower arms, these also would be the HD version for air suspension Discovery 3.

They are much cheaper than the usual supplier, however cheapness comes at a price, they look Ok, not as good as our usual supplier but I am sure they will be fine, UK supplier with usual liability insurance etc, just the welding is not to the normal lovely standard that I look for, I am sure that these will be fine but I would like a guinea pig! (Welding is not machine finished, I can't think there would be issues, it's just that I am fussy)

So if you are in need of a set of arms are willing to fit them within a week or two of arrival and give me feedback on fitment, subsequent ease or not of wheel alignment and of course long term quality reply to this post.

Because I need the feedback I am going to set one rule - You need to be a regular poster on this forum and a member for at least 6 months.

I will pay for delivery in the UK only.

1 SET FOR FREE ONLY SO WHO'S IT GOING TO BE?

Feedback after fitment made public on this post please.

Ok, so received these from Boringoldgit and had the chance to fit them this weekend.
Need to comment on the welding as BOG had mentioned it. He's being really fussy if the few weld spatters are a cause for concern! (Which is a good thing that he is concerned about the little stuff and not just revenue!)
Whilst there are a few spatters, for me, it would not concern me in the slightest. This is a strong looking (and feeling) arm, certainly comparable against the genuine article.

On the ones I received, one of the bushes hadn't quite been pushed home fully, so I used my bush fitting/removal tool to just push it firmly home. I'm sure this has been fedback to the original supplier.

But the bushes and the ball joint seemed to be comparable against the genuine article.

Fitting was very straightforward, no problems going into the chassis mounts or with the shock absorber joining the wishbone.
You do look at the shock absorber when loose fitted into the arm and think it's a bit slack (the same on genuine arms), but then you realise that the bolt needs 300nm of tightening, which brings it all in together!

I've not yet had the alignment done (hopefully today or tomorrow) but so far, seems to ride fine (albeit alignment needs sorting).

I did have to reset my steering sensor and ride heights, but that is to be expected, given that I'd replaced all the suspension at the same time. Thumbs Up
Will provide another update once it's been aligned. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #129869816th Jun 2014 8:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ian,

Just as a matter of interest ? Can you feel any comparison in handling or any feedback ?
I fitted the RRS lower arms last year and immediately noticed an increase in feedback thro the steering wheel ! Baring in mind the sloppy old bushes lost their tight bushes before the 90k they were changed at I noticed a slightly firmer front end ride.

I also became aware that the tight front end highlighted the old worn rear, something that you don't want to experience on a roundabout in November in the pouring rain Shocked

Awaiting my rears fitting Whistle hint hint !
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #129871416th Jun 2014 9:15 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

The whole front end seems to be a bit harsher than before (not difficult!) but can't really say about the handling until after it's been aligned properly. Thumbs Up I think I also need to change the lower steering column as some knocking can be felt through that, more than I'd like (was same before the change on that aspect)

Will need to do the rears as well, but I think my happy helpers next time may be washing their hair, pulling their eyelashes out with blunt spoons, having a lady wax or something else more inviting than spending a day on loose stone under my d3 Embarassed Embarassed
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #129876716th Jun 2014 10:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

The alignment results are......

Using another site sponsor, Kam and Keith at iAuto Solihull

So you can see how far off the whole car was, which is no real surprise.
They had no problem aligning the car with these new BOG lower wishbones on, and I'll report back when I get home on how the handling feels. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #130036719th Jun 2014 5:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

O M G! I can't believe how smooth the drive is now.
I'm pretty sure I need rear shocks which I'll get soon as it's still wallowy at the rear. I've also ordered a new lower steering shaft just to get all the steering bits as good as they can.
But going over bumps etc is smooth and the results of the wheel alignment has never been so good!

So thanks Steve for the lower arms, I don't know what brand they are, but they align very well and they work a treat. Thumbs Up

If you want to let people know the link, I'm sure they'll get sold. Thumbs Up

Will update in a few months on how they're fairing up. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #130047719th Jun 2014 9:05 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Thanks Ian, appreciate the honest answers, they are cheaper than my main supplier, they don't look as nice but still they would appear to be up to the job, so we will market them then!

Obviously long term wear and tear is important now, they do come with warranty but as I appreciate this job is a pain you don't want to be changing them every year or two!
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #130057620th Jun 2014 7:47 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The job is only a pain 1st time round, due to lack of grease at the factory.

Providing you have copper greased the bolts on re-assembly, you should have no issues when fitting the 2nd set, in theory Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #130057820th Jun 2014 7:51 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

And that's exactly why it was much easier this time round Mikey Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #130058420th Jun 2014 7:57 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

A few months further on and I can report no problems with these arms.

Maybe you have a link to these ones that would be worthwhile putting in here Steve? Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #134518521st Sep 2014 2:21 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Full kit here:

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/003rrs-fr...5647-p.asp
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #134557522nd Sep 2014 10:17 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How are these getting on?

I'll need to replace my arms, again, as they are knocking away already. Only 18 months old as well.

Post #13680493rd Nov 2014 4:33 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I fitted in June and they're still fine, none of the knocking I was experiencing before.

I have developed more sway that I'd like, but that's the rear end and not related to the front wishbone change, so I need to go through the same replacement of the rear suspension now.... Sad
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #13680503rd Nov 2014 4:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >