Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Fun Christmas and new year
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Fun Christmas and new year

As title says it's been a fun Christmas and start to the new year with the old girl, D4 I mean. Blew an injector seal on 20th and though I could drive her for a bit I had to lay her up for a few days.

When the seal blew I was in the middle of overtaking at 60 and she went into imp. mode. Initially thought it was the inlet manifold and managed to drive the remaining 10 or so mile home. As it was late and dark I only briefly had a look to see if the manifold was blown, but couldn't see anything. Next morning plugged in GAP tool and there was a fault for cylinder 2. Cleared fault and it didn't return but could hear there was something blowing somewhere. When the foam cover was taken off the top of the injectors it was a bit sooty with some oil, no sign of a crack, but still driving. Decided to go to my indy(Belfast Land Rover Centre) for a second opinion and we concluded that it may be the manifold, though one of the lads did say he thought it sounded like an injector seal (turned out he was right).

Nevertheless, wanting to do the repairs ASAP I managed to source a new manifold, but it had to be from the main dealer £335. Saturday 23rd I decided to start the strip down and incase it was an injector seal I started there.

The most soot and oil was around Nº 2 cylinder so I started with it and found the seal was shot. Clean everything down, remove injector, cleaned from it and the housing and reassemble with the new a seal fitted. But on startup there was an obvious misfire, but no sound of a blow-by.

With engine running I could disconnect the it's loom which made no difference to how it ran, confirming it had a problem. I could hear and feel that the injector was operating. So it was getting power and signal to fire but there was no ignition. I double checked the resistance of injector and, with Noid light, the signal to it, all good. Concluded the the injector was faulty so ordered a replacement(used) on wednesday. It arrived this afternoon. Now fitted and car seems back to her old self, just need to do a test run.

Thank goodness it wasn't the manifold, as i wasn't looking forward to fitting the new one, which I now have, lying around. Will have to see if Land Rover will do a return, £335 better in my pocket that theirs, or maybe I'll hang on to it just incase.

Post #23578395th Jan 2024 9:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >