DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

greenlaning in devon/cornwall
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Patman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
greenlaning in devon/cornwall

hi all
Are there any green laning clubs or indeed a group of peop[le who fancy exploring the marvellous countryside of Cornwall and Dartmoor?

Post #22395142nd Jul 2021 12:19 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

not sure you will find many lanes in either...(that are legal that is ) be interesting how this one develops
best of luck

Post #22395152nd Jul 2021 12:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Patman

hey Galway
that was my thoughts exactly, so much land yet seemingly so few byways. shame really as a drive by real coastline would be cool

Post #22395232nd Jul 2021 5:19 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

As a region, it really isn't blessed with any meaningful byways. You'd expect Dartmoor to be riddled with them, but it just isn't. The tracks are there - but they are not byways, you'd have to join the army to drive them!

There are of course a few byways, and these can be seen on the councils definitive map. I've driven 'many' of the longer or coastal ones, and have managed to spend about a day on a series of lanes that just about form a route, but for that proper 'green laning' experience, Wales is the closest that gets my vote. (I'll ignore the Wiltshire mud hell holes for a minute...)
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #22395262nd Jul 2021 6:40 am
RSW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I still prefer Wales for the green lanes as you can get somewhere to have a spot of lunch with a great view from high up. Always found the green lanes in Devon a bit boring as all you see are the hedge rows on either side as you go.
As has been said Dartmoor has some great places but it's just not allowed and the rangers are good at catching offenders.

Post #22395362nd Jul 2021 8:11 am
galwaygreen

theres half a mile of excitement on the lane from lopwell dam ford towards bere ferrers ...on you tube with the jimny lads ...need to get the tide right if wanting to do the ford....beware the walkway has been damaged in the winter by large logs coming over the dam so there are granite blocks next the trackway...
BE VERY VERY AWARE the ford signed at maristow quay is a killer...many quad bikes taken out ..only ever seen 4 x 4 tractors tackle it and join the shore road on the way to bere ferrers....tide permitting
there another little bit on the lane from bere ferrers to weir quay...takes you towards bere alston....
many forest tracks around gunnislake but i think lord devonshire estate owns it..part of it goes in opposite
tavistock timber and heads off to chimney rock...part of it covers the old rail track and shillabere tunnel....did it all many years ago in austin gypsie..great fun,,,great consult mines as well....frond upon
now as they are arsenic spoil heaps and the dust is hazarous

Post #22396983rd Jul 2021 12:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Patman

Hey Galway
most of those tracks are around me as i am in gunnislake the roads to arsenic mines are now pedaestrian no cars just push bikes i will have a look at lopwell but no fear of taking on Maristow quay prefer to keep my disco Laughing

Post #22397003rd Jul 2021 12:21 am
galwaygreen

there was a 4 x4 centre at stoke climsland but not sure it still going...the other option is to join devon and cornwall landrover club....they get to some out of the way places...we did it for two years with them...but they drive old landrover to the death...not what you want to do with your tidy d3/4...another option is safira days at west country experience at honiton ...a great day out over private estate but will cost about £130...with a cream tea

Post #22397033rd Jul 2021 12:37 am
Patman

a whole cream tea wow!! Laughing Honiton is not far away i will look into it might convince brother in law take his rough old Velar for a work out too

just looked heres something i never knew
http://www.traxandtrails.co.uk/

Post #22397043rd Jul 2021 12:43 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The LRE Honiton Safari day south Devon was fantastic, primarily using private land and ok for shiny new Disco's, but they are exceedingly awkward about insurance cover, meaning that its almost impossible to do!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #22397283rd Jul 2021 9:11 am
Patman

Well Dave I’ll not bother with that. I just want to trundle along some lanes take in the beauty of our countryside

Post #22397793rd Jul 2021 2:15 pm
galwaygreen

we use to pay £800 a year for offroad insurance so we were covered...i asked LRE at honiton why they couldnt arrange a one off day insurance...not interested...pentille castle have a defender day and you need insurance ...7 miles of offroad..

Post #22398484th Jul 2021 12:41 am
Patman

Pentillie eh nice place
seems a lot to insure my daily run around that might go off road once or twice a year i dont want to put it to test i just wondered on green lanes. there are i am sure some people who will be interrested so thankyou on their behalf

Post #22398504th Jul 2021 1:24 am
galwaygreen

the insurance thing is vague...there is a train of thought that greenlaning is covered on normal insurance as they are just untarmaced roads...offroad suggests private land...all very well until something goes wrong.......its probably the third party element that causes concern.....if you go seriously offroad you should expect damage and why expect someone else to pay for repair....many on here who have other tales ref insurance

Post #22399775th Jul 2021 12:05 am
Patman

yes i personally would say if you are extreme off roading you take your chances or become really skilful. i personally just want the land rover monthly greenlaning experience gentle and easy

Post #22399805th Jul 2021 12:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >