Low Battery Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
ROYLANCE

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Noticed over the past 2 days my keyless entry hasn't been working and now
Oh no the dredded message
LOW BATTERY PLEASE START ENGINE

Low battery - i've never had or experienced a low battery in 20years of motoring with loads of different cars
 2007 RS4 Avant
Gone just when it was looking so good - 2010 HSE, Nara Bronze + RLD dogs danglies Sump PLate & spare wheel protector + Side Steps + Wiggs Remote Climate + 20" Genuine Stormers + Cooper LTZ Bad Boys + Landmark Black Gloss Grille & Vents + Black Gloss Door Handle Skins + Cubby fridge + Sliding Rear Loadspace 

Post #86020417th Nov 2011 7:37 pm
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Just had this warning for the first time. Car now two years old. Know a friend with an older D4 who had to replace the battery at 2 years after repeated problems. Is anyone else finding this? Thanks
 d4 HSE  
Post #92032513th Apr 2012 2:09 pm
scubaking

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
battery drain

we drove our 2010 disco 4 HSE to plymouth from essex and back, 3 days later i drove the car locally for about 5 miles, 48 hours after that we went to use the car again, the car was dead as a dodo....couldnt even get into it, we had to use the emergency key. When we finally got in the car i pressed the start button and there was nothing, not even . i called LR assist and they clipped on some jump leads and hey presto the car started, i drove the car round for 45 mins to give it some charge. the following morning it showed a battery warning telling me to start engine (it had been sitting just over night since the run around) i did and promptly drove it straight round to land rover. they kept the car for a couple of days on the forecourt to see if it would drain and all it gave them was low battery warning, they tested it (showed no faults and no drain), they then gave it a full re-charge and again left it for 48 hours to see if there was an issue. there hasnt been, i collect the car tomorrow and hope it dosnt happen again. the only thing that had gone wrong at the same time was a loose connection somewhere on the ipod interface....when i connected the ipod it would just say 'device error' or pls connect device....they have rectified that problem also. maybe the 2 are connected i dont know. anyway i hope there are no further problems...wouldnt expect this minor pain in the a*se from a 50k 2 year old car !!!

anyone else had recent issues like this, and has it been rectified ?

Post #92249619th Apr 2012 3:43 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I had to get a new battery installed just recently, free of charge under the warranty, but mine had only done 18,000km in just over 2 years at the time....!
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #92255619th Apr 2012 5:50 pm
tarndale

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
alternator died

05 D3 HSE
Like others here I had the 'low power mode' show up on the audio screen (Led Zeppelin must be decent listening level after all...) two days on the trot. Had one brief "trans fault' on the driver warning screen yesterday at start up.
This morning - battery flat - only enough juice far all the relays in the car to start clattering. Jump started and took to local indie LR man. Alternator dead as ones proverbial. Only 10.5V left in battery.
No warnings, no 'ignition' light showing up - just the audio display.
How unusual for a vehicle so full of 'modules' that none of them could warn me the battery was going flat... (ah yes the smart one says "there wasn't enough volts for the warning module to work" Laughing
Neil

Post #95599418th Jul 2012 4:09 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

on 2005 d3 yer would have had the battery light staying on for longer than normal after ignition, yer main lights would have been very dim even though the dashboard stays they are on so likely to have been flashed by other motorists.

given its age, no reason why you'd not have had to change it, BTW have you checked the alternator is OK as often that goes before it then drains the life out of the battery, hence yer shut down. Whistle

Post #95677119th Jul 2012 10:38 pm
tarndale

As said, the alternator is as dead as a dodo. Aftermarket warranty people demanded a battery test as well.... Battery testers confirmed it was A OK; so I get new alternator under the warranty (albeit with $300 excess).

Still strange that the ignition light didn't come on.
Neil

Post #95678419th Jul 2012 10:48 pm
scubaking

battery dead

ok thanks guys, the problem seemed to have rectified itself and no probs since then....untill now....battery completely dead again, after a fairly long ish road trip we left the car fr a fe days and it had drained....back to the dealer...must say i have lost some faith in this car...i have some long journeys coming up and im not sure i want to use it !

Post #96568614th Aug 2012 11:49 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

So what is the dealer saying?

Most other cars I ahve had, the battery has lasted about 6 years, but I am seriously thinking of buying a new battery for this car (April 2010) before the winter. THere seem to be too many people let down at around 2 to 3 years..........
 d4 HSE  
Post #96802221st Aug 2012 12:34 pm
scubaking

well problem not solved apparantly its got something to do with the keyless entry...it was waking up at random times hence why was hard to pick up by any test they did...it turns on to wake the car up expecting you to get in and drive, when ofcourse your not anywhere near it !.......replacement keyless entry system for the car now not talking to the rest of the car..saga continues...

Post #96802821st Aug 2012 1:06 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OK my D3 six years old & now battery three

The original lasted 3 years......
I bought an original spare one & had it done at the local to me dealers...
after say 14 months this appeared to be losing its charge...lots on here as to how this can happen with the suspesion doing things when vehicle parked
...I checked all this out & then realised it was the battery not taking a charge as opposed to the alternator being below par

I took it back to the local to me dealer & after a confronation where they said it was the alternator & not the battery (despite me having had this tested by an auto electrician as being A-OK)..they fitted a battery

Then ananother confrontation where they tried to charge me for the battery...they werent aware that LR batteries have a two year warranty. Battery no cost to me.

So they last about two years or a bit more - that short life may be down to the amount of kit thats electricc on a Disco...maybe not.

I did read on here that the type of battery isnt the same as many others (it uses a different chemical technology) so cant be trickle charged (the best way to rejuvinate a standard lead acid type battery)
& I am a bit usure about whats been said the alternator wont charge the battery past the charge point its at....this doesnt make sense at all

If you get the car started & say 20 mins of running doesnt top the battery up to the point you can restart...either a duff battery (wont hold charge) or maybe a faulty alternator - if you have the latter you WILL get a warning light.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #96803021st Aug 2012 1:11 pm
tarndale

Re: OK my D3 six years old & now battery three

BLFarrar wrote:
The original lasted 3 years......
If you get the car started & say 20 mins of running doesnt top the battery up to the point you can restart...either a duff battery (wont hold charge) or maybe a faulty alternator - if you have the latter you WILL get a warning light.

I beg to differ.
My alternator was on its way out (see posts above) and NO warning light or 'start your engine or else..' message showed at any time... only 'low power mode' on audio display gave a clue the day before the battery was too flat to turn engine over.
Neil

Post #96823221st Aug 2012 9:56 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Neil...

I had my alternator checked out - usually if the diode bridge conks out & it wont charge a light should show this - whichevrer way it fails - if it didnt light there may be something else wrong...that is the whole point of the alternator charge light...letting you know you have impending doom situation ormore likely its Censored now.
My alternator did its thing & made enpugh to start the D3 in all cases my battery was about to Kark it......but at no stage did it light the warning red light
Maybe some genius on here could explaint the system of what causes the light to light & the that the battery isnt regular lead acid etc.

Why the batteries only last two years is a real sod as it makes you worry about use of your car 0- especially in colder weather when its harder to crank over.....
Strange with all the modern hi tech tecno stuff I have taken to having jump leads inthe back of the car so the passing low cost hatchback can get me going..maybe these could be supplied with vehicle to compliment the wonky jack & the wheel brace that isnt strong enough (the wheel chocks are brilliant though)
LAND ROVER READ & COMPREHEND THIS - YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH DISCO 3/4 RELIABILITY - THE BATTERY CARGING SYSTEM IS Censored POOR
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #96829422nd Aug 2012 7:48 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

How much are the replacement batteries if you have to pay?

Post #117229014th Oct 2013 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

By contrast my first battery was swapped out as a precaution at over 7 years old.

Zero problems with my D4 battery so far.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #117231114th Oct 2013 8:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >